Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Older cars disappearing rapidly off our roads

Options
  • 28-08-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭

We don't have a howmanyleft.co.uk equivalent in this country but some reasonable assumptions can be made from the NCT stats for each year. I was only made aware of these recently

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/NCT-Statistics-/

E.g comparing the 2015 stats with the 2020 stats there is a massive decline in many cars in the bangernomics category. E.g..

Number of 2002 Ford Mondeos presented for a full test in 2015 was 1756

Number of 2002 Ford Mondeos presented for a full test in 2020 was 109

For 2002 Renault Lagunas, the figures are 1188 and 38 respectively.

C segment cars i.e. the Focus and Megane have a better survival rate in this period. Smaller engines so lower tax and insurance. I'm not sure how big the banger racing scene is in his country but that could be another factor in smaller cars lasting longer.

Edit: Covid may have been a factor in 2020 but not a huge one. The number of 2002 Mondeos presented for a test in 2019 was 206.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Older cars really seem to drop off, now and again you might see a rare unabused type.

I was drving behing a Daewoo Matiz earlier, in some ways Id like to see one in good nick with low mileage.

Most cars here tend to get well used imo, passed on to whoever can afford them and used to their max as family cars throughout their life.

At a certain point, its not economically viable to keep them going or do the work thats required to keep them going imo, usually owners dont have excess space to store them even if the cars themselves are viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The big tax stuff is getting scarce but there's plenty smaller older cars about,

Getting an 02 Mondeo or Laguna test ready would probably cost as much as buying a tested 08 one

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

As per an earlier thread there were 100,000 pre 2008 scrapped in 2020. A lot depends on whether the older cars are worth to the person to get repaired. Older cars can turn into money pits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was drving behing a Daewoo Matiz earlier, in some ways Id like to see one in good nick with low mileage.

the worst built car i've ever driven was a matiz. i don't know if any could have survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Had a Matiz for a while thought it was ok. You don't see many older Saabs about anymore, like the 9000 or older model 93.

• Advertisement

The Saabs wouldn't have been big sellers to begin with , Matiz build quality would've been OK, had a Lanos back in the day,sound deadening could've been better but better assembled than the Kadett they were based on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

~100 (some 1999 will be Mk2) Mk1 Puntos NCted in 2019 - there were probably 100 in my town in 1999!

TWO original Pandas, and one is a 2001 so will be a Polish import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I think it was a quirky and odd car, I quite like seeing one survive, possibly it was awful to drive? I never did. The car I disliked the most an 08 kia rio, mainly because it was painful on my back, Id still like to see the odd one around the place though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so many (admittedly trivial) things went wrong with it. the seat adjustment mechanism failed twice (basically what was a bicycle brake cable snapped) so when you accelerated, the seat slid back and lifted your foot off the pedal, and the car came to a halt; or you braked, and the seat slid forward, burying your foot on the brake pedal and the car came to a halt. the rearview mirror kept falling off, the anti-theft device (basically a magnet in the key) kept falling out; i could go on...

Number of 2002 Ford Mondeos presented for a full test in 2020 was 109

there's quite a difference between a 13 year old car and an 18 year old car - as someone mentioned above, often with an 18 year old car, addressing an NCT fail would often be more than the car was worth.

also, as some insurance companies don't want to deal with 18 year old cars the insurance difference alone may make the car not worth holding on to.

this is the oldest mondeo i can find on carzone - €1k for an 18 year old car with 400k on the clock?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/202108035791466

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's only natural that there are going to be less 18 year old cars on the road compared to 13 year old ones. The older a car gets the more chance of it needing repair and at some point the cost of repairing it becomes uneconomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The decrease for the Alfa 156 is not quite as bad as I thought it would be. Probably due to having an enthusiast following. 156s that make it to 10-15 years old would have a reasonable chance of becoming survivors in the long term. Also, there are probably quite a number SORDed as it is the sort of car that people might hang on to with the intention of restoring it some day.

For all alfa 156s (1998-2007)

2015: 1293 cars were presented for an NCT

2019: 297 cars were presented for an NCT

Mk3 Mondeo and Laguna IIs won't have much of an enthusiast following until they approach vintage status. 13 year old examples in 2015 were probably on their last legs having had multiple owners and dogs abuse with "big engine" tax making them near worthless for anything except banger racing.

Unsurprisingly, similar age Toyota Corollas haven't declined as much and I'd say the Mk1 Yaris is better again due to having ongoing value as a starter car and runabout.

Jeez, had a beautiful ford ORION, beautiful car to look at / drive but did she break my heart?? Forever in the garage.....not suprised they dissappeared very quickly off the roads...... nightmare of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Insurance costs can play a part too. I had a 2003 Megan until 2018 and couldn’t change insurer on it because no insurance company would take on a new customer with a car that old. I’ve heard of people having problems insuring even 10 year old cars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are three problems forcing 'old' cars off the road.

1. Motor tax for pre-2008 cars that carry high rates due to large engines, and post 2008 gas guzzlers that also carry high tax. Reform is the answer to this, reducing the tax as the car ages. High tax and lower values makes repair or scrap decision go towards scrap.
    2. Insurers refusing to cover older cars just because they are considered too old. They should be required to cover these cars if the are legal on the road.
    3. Poor maintenance causing the lack of maintenance to bite future owners when the parts break or wear out prematurely. Some of the fault for this lies with manufacturers who design in obsolescence so repairs are high cost unnecessarily. For example, requiring expensive subassemblies to be replaced in their entirety instead of repaired, or the requirement of special tools to do the work. Of course, the NCT could help more by requiring proof of adequate maintenance of vehicles being presented for testing.

Now an annual NCT for all cars, all years up to 40 years would be very unpopular, but could be a lower cost option to solve this. This is how some countries operate where NCT is like motor tax renewal. If insurers were obliged to insure cars that were fully maintained and had a full NCT history, then that would solve part of the problem.

Old cars that have been fully maintained should be of no greater insurance risk than a newer version of the same car. The most dangerous part of a car is the nut behind the wheel. However, older cars have a lower safety in a crash which should be bourn in mind.

richard bruton's plan to have 1m EVs on the road in however many years probably depended on getting rid of all those older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Insurance industry reform hasn't gone near as far as it needs too. The unfairness of legally requiring a product but that product being made unavailable by a cartel is just wrong.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect there is a bit of collusion between the motor industry and insurance companies as a lot of insurance don't want cars older than 15/20 years.

NCT i was talking to a guy who works in one of the centres recently and he told me that some 171 cars that were presented this year for 1st test were failing same, i did not ask and he didn't say detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Old cars are dirt cheap in Ireland, especially pre-08 cars in a high tax bracket.

For most, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put €300 into keeping a €1000 car on the road, and €300 is probably the minimum cost of parts/labour for a small job. We don't have a culture of car maintenance, unlike the US or to a lesser extent the UK.

A lot of people use the test as maintenance, give it a wash,pay €55, see the minimum needed Hunky Dory till the next test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The Irish "motor industry" what a cod! If nobody ever bought a new car ever again the effect on the economy would be negligible at worst.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd expect some to fail - plenty are going to go in with bald tyres or other wear related failures that they didn't notice / check for. Maybe a bit less so in the next few years as a lot of cars have racked up much less mileage in 20/21

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

One of the reasons why they stopped covering older cars was because of scammers buying the cheapest oldest car they could find and being 'crashed' into.

That was a genuine problem, but could have been easily dealt with by offering it ony for customers with good NCDs.

This has been used as pretect to stop insuring older cars full stop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The scammers angle cannot be that significant because if it was it would get more prominence in the media.

However, the insurance companies try anything on to increase premiums as in dual pricing. They Central Bank should take a more active role in making sure they do not rip off their customers, but that is not likely to be effective. There needs to be more policing of drivers who are on the road uninsured, unlicensed, unaccompanied learner, or driving while banned from driving.

A driver banned from driving should be facing a custodial sentence at least for the second offence. Seized vehicles should become the property of the state or be crushed.

Age of the vehicle should not be a factor for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think for a valid comparison, the figures you should be looking at are:

Number of 2007 Ford Mondeos presented for a full test in 2020 was 1049

For 2002/2007 Renault Lagunas, the figures are 1188 and 66 respectively

I think your overall point still stands though

You need to take account of the number purchased in the relevant years, plus some idea of how many were imported second hand.

Your point stands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

By 2007 the Laguna Ii was on its last legs (and had acquired a rep for unreliability) with the Laguna III arriving late in the year in time for the January 2008 market. So there were probably a small number of Lagunas sold in 2007. The Mondeo Mk4 also arrived in 2007 but earlier in the year so the new model had a chance to generate some sales before the end of the year

Also, there may have been a general move away from D segment cars at this point with cars like Qashqai etc. starting to take over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It wasn't bald tyres he said mechanical failure and he was surprised how many of 4 year old cars in obvious condition failing because of dodgy bits...

One of the most obvious things I've noticed lately is newer SUVs with bad tyres, is it a PCP thing, zero maintenance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Wonder if they tyres themselves are bad.

Watched a video recently, where new motorbikes were sold with substandard Pirelli's made in their Brazilian factory, while the proper ones are made in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv97i_-V7hA&t=383s

Advertisement