Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renault Megane E-Tech

• 06-05-2021 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭

Not much in the way of solid info yet, but they’re starting to tease it, with 4 images

https://www.motor1.com/news/505777/renault-megane-e-tech-teasers

Among others stuff, they seem to show a mix of capacitive and real buttons, wireless phone charger, a place marked with some kind of wireless key logo (does it mean you have to put a key there, or one of those emergency things?) and multiple user profiles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭silver_sky

First post :) long time lurker as of late, but former boardsie from many moons ago. That aside...

They showed the exterior of the concept a while back. It looks interesting and looking forward to seeing more on it.

Size-wise it seems to be closest to the Leaf or maybe a tiny bit smaller than ID3. I'm considering it as a replacement for a Renault Zoe due to needing more room, longer range, and better seats due to bad back.

It's FWD apparently which is a bit disappointing compared to the ID3. Although with the software being developed on Android Automotive that might make up for it. Bad translations from French aside, I don't think Renault's software is too bad.

It's been spotted out and about testing earlier in the year and the shape does resemble the concept fairly closely.
    I can't post any links because of low post count, but if you look on motor1 the concept photos and spy shots are there.

I hope it lasts a lot longer than the Fluence, has to have been one of the greatest Flops in automotive history!

I really like the 5 ev, I loved the old Renault 5 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mad_Lad wrote: »
    I hope it lasts a lot longer than the Fluence, has to have been one of the greatest Flops in automotive history!

I really like the 5 ev, I loved the old Renault 5 !!!

The Fluence was actually very successful and it was basically the just saloon version of the Megane.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Renault released some more info and pics of their camo'd preproduction cars. 30 of them out for testing over the summer.

60kWh battery and 450km range. Probably usable as that's what they've done before.

I really like it and the new logo looks great. Less fussy than the chrome or flaking blue chrome diamond.

https://en.media.renaultgroup.com/news/from-megane-evision-to-the-all-new-megane-e-tech-electric-pre-production-cars-going-on-open-roads-e02b-989c5.html

555302.jpg
    555303.jpg
    555304.jpg
    renault-megane-e-tech-electric.jpg

On the road...

16231311.jpg

I'm seeing talk & rumours on some french sites of a 90kWh (or near) battery option. This would put the 60kWh car shown at roughly similar to the mid-range ID.3. There was also a mention of a 40kWh~ variant. That would give a better option for those looking at the Leaf 40 still.

• Advertisement

Renault had another online electric event earlier in the week. They touched on a few more elements on the Mégane but generally it was the overall electric strategy and their factory investments, partnerships etc. The actual stream is about 2 hours plus q&a after but here's a good highlight video.

The Mégane will have an SUV sibling which was shown in silhouette form in one of the slides. Basically it's ID.4 equivalent.

Initial battery size on Mégane is 60kWh usable with WLTP around 450km. They mentioned a focus on efficiency and insulation, along with using heat recovery from battery for the cabin which could be interesting. Plug & Charge was mentioned but not sure if that's only coming with the Renault 5 (H1, 2024) or if it will feature in the Mégane too.

Production model is to be shown at IAA Munich in early September. In the meantime they're out and about testing.

I'm still itching to see a pic of it against a known car to get a grasp on the size.

More - https://www.motor.es/noticias/renault-megane-e-tech-electric-fotos-pruebas-202179636.html

I've just used my VAG dividend to buy some more Renault stock. Renault have product and access to market so I expect the Megane to sell well at good margin followed by model 5 and 4 models shortly afterward. If the Megane is all the car it promises to be it might be my next EV as I have had them as an ICE.

The stock was doing better but took a tumble after the H1 2020 results. I think the plan that they've laid out is promising and focus is on profitability. It'll be interesting when these models start coming out. Their first half 2021 results are out on Thursday I think?

Price-wise based on their last presentation they're looking to undercut VW by about 5%.

Some spy photos showing interior (wheel badge not updated, so not final interior), on the road, and at a charging stop. Apparently they've been seen travelling and charging with VW ID models. It's probable that Renault is doing some bench mark as they did note they were aiming for lower pricing vs a german competitor.

• Advertisement

These are my favourite set though. I think you can get a better impression of it from this angles. Keep in mind that it's ID3-sized. There's a larger sibling on the way later, but Nissan gets first shot at that with the Ariya which is on the same platform.

470km WLTP for the 60kW battery.

Seems like a nice lump of a car and on the continent prices are starting at about 33k.

Entry level battery size is 40kw. 87kw battery comes later. 15cm shorter than an ICE Megane.

130KW charging was mentioned in various places and 200km range in 30 minutes.

It will be roughly Renault Captur size exterior but Kadjar interior. It will damage the sales of the ID3 and ID4 and Enyaq which are priced quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How would that €33k in France translate to here? 40kWh is very small compared to the competition. Depending on the answer to that question it might not damage the sales of ID.3 and ID.4 and Enyaq in the EU at all...

Potential Customers are obviously going to be cross-shopping CUV product from VAG and Renault as they have dealers in the same towns and cities across Europe. The 40kWh battery wlll not steal sales from a 60kWh VAG product but it has the potential to steal sales from the 50kWh version.

WORLD PREMIERE ALL-NEW RENAULT MEGANE E-TECH ELECTRIC – PRESS CONFERENCE 09/06/21 - 8:50 AM (CET) - YouTube

I could see this being my next car.

Google Android OS built in(better than Android Auto)

The chintzy gold front inserts on the bumper are optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Not mad on CUVs, but that is a nice hunk of metal in the mid-tier market. It is largely a replacement of sorts of the LEAF, and will have a 440litre boot (probably includes cable storage) so will not be short of space, plus CCS 130kW. I think the new PHEV/ICE Megane is gorgeous, but this is not bad albeit sitting a bit higher with big front and sidewalls.

updated piece here: https://forococheselectricos.com/2021/09/renault-megane-e-tech-electric-2.html

It actually isn't that high at 1.5metres. It just looks like a CUV due to the wheels at the corners and length of only 4.2 metres. With LG nickel cobalt manganese batteries I expect it to take charge quickly. I'd be interested in the 40kWh 96kW version on 18" alloys without the big screen, 7kW charger but otherwise stacked with extras.

If available in GTLine type trim with Gordini blue metallic paint and brushed steel accents so much the better but I guess they'll be holding that colour combination for sportier models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

It will use air and liquid cooling and will pre-heat the battery if a charging location is programmed in to the navigation system

The lane keep assist seems fairly sophisticated and will allow you to decide if you want to keep left, right or centre in your lane.

...and it still has a heatpump built in for which VW expect you to pay a premium. The heatpump is supposed to be 30% better than in the Zoe.

Configurator is live(without prices) on www.renault.fr

smaller screen fits the dashboard better.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

That review suggests that the 40 kWh version is only available with AC charging (7/22 kW) and the 60kWh has AC/DC charging (up to 130kW). Renault's press release on it says that

"Depending on the version, it can also be compatible with DC charging infrastruture up to 130 kW (combo sockets CCS) charging infrastructures, such as fast charging stations on motorways. With DC 130kW, the All-new Mégane E-TECH Electric recovers up to 300km WLTP in just 30 min."

Hopefully that's not something that is set in stone.

Independent rear suspension and brake discs on the rear.

Heatpump included and Google OS. This is beating the ID3 in a number of key areas and will undercut equivalent VW ID3 for competitive product.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Very high waistline with tiny back-seat windows and a letterbox-sized glass on the hatch, it would seem from the pics and vids.

Has Renault sacrificed practicality for style?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It looks totally ridiculous by Renault.

I expect them to change that eventually when it hurts them in the sales.

Peugeot made a mess up at the e208s international press launch by providing cars with harsh suspension.

They fixed it by the time the cars came to RHD in response to press criticism.

Hopefully Renault get harsh criticism when the road tests come along for this AC only on the 40 kwh model mess up

Doubt it. Who's buying the 40kwh version.

Who !

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The 40kWh version would be ideal for a lot of people. Most cars travel less than 100km/day on average, well within the range of a 40kWh car. Not having fast charging limits the car to being a second car in a household or having to make longer stops when travelling. While that is acceptable for a city car like the Zoe, the Megane is marketed (and sized) as a family car, and should be capable of intercity travel. Renault are out of step with their competitors by not providing at least 50kW rapid charging. Given the charge rate the 60kWh version can attain, I would think that 75-90kW should be possible in the 40kWh. It's ridiculous that a new car introduced in 2022 will be intentionally so restricted in its capability. Small petrol cars don't get restricted to such an extent that they are nearly unusable for long journeys.

It also limits those who have no home charging. We don't have the infrastructure at the moment, but a new car should last 10-15 years, and at that point we will (hopefully) have some sort of solution in place for people with no home charging. This may involve rapid charging.

It's like they didn't learn from the Fluence.

This forum has been a fine example of what range is ideal for most people, yet you have a market that simply is not buying into that fact. As has been shown by sales people are buying cars way above their range to avoid having to think about range anxiety even if it statistically will not impact them.

Unless the sales trends are telling us a different story. I disagree. And I don't see the exclusion of stuff out of base models impacting any sales.

If they stick to the specs advertised at launch, the 40 is a non-starter. Crippled by 7 or 22kW AC charging only. The 22 only was fine on the ZOE years ago but times have moved on.

I'm interested in the Mégane but wouldn't touch the 40. Really I want the 60kWh with the optional 22kW charging. It comes in handy in more rural areas without DC fast charging, or even some hotels that have 11 or 22kW charging. The 60kWh would also mean that about 90% of my driving would be good from home charging.

• Advertisement

I think you fit the bracket of most customers . Hence my point the 40 is a non runner anyway so why bother ? Sweep up some lower cost custom perhaps who don't understand charging rates or couldn't care less maybe.

Advertisement