Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A friend of mine has been to 3 with his kids, including 2 brand new ones, all in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Not all junior parkruns are back as it's a decision left to each individual team when they are ready. Can be outside influences as well of course with permission etc. Two that I'm involved with are looking at later in Sept to resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Here is a list of the events going ahead this weekend, I am only seeing 43 from their own website, even though the announcement said 48...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

What’s the reason for no Dublin events?

or why only 48 events?

if it’s Covid concerns (about being outdoors running in a park ?) surely reducing the number of events is more likely to increase the number of parkrun tourists?

Post edited by donaghs on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No Dublin events because there is still a limit of 500 people, and although 500 are unlikely to turn up they could get close to that at some Dublin events...so just a case of not pushing that limit or drawing attention to themselves in a bad way. the last thing they want is scare headlines about parkrun knowingly setting out to break any government rules anywhere globally.

Headlines about hundreds of people out getting active in the open air is what they want, not anything about breaching any arbitrary limits even if those limits do get removed a couple of weeks later and nobody else is abiding by them anyway.

parkrun tourists are an odd bunch. They make out there is loads of themselves, and let you know on Facebook whenever they are going anywhere to parkrun... but in reality they are but a tiny percentage of parkrunners at any particular event unless something very unusual is happening. Those unusual thing previously might have been Paul Sinton-Hewitt turning up to an inaugural event, but he's now self banned from doing that any more, or an unrelated massive running event happening nearby which draws big crowds in.

The vast majority of parkrunners only ever attend their local one or two nearest events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So looking at the above list of Parkruns going ahead does that also show that the only county that doesn't have a Parkrun (in a non covid world) is Leitrim? I kinda feel bad for people in Leitrim. They've it bad enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Not sure how accurate it is. Has Louth only down for one. Pretty sure oldcastle parkrun drogheda is in Louth ( could be on the meath side too though )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Agree with all that but I'm sure there was a legit fear that any Marlay runners would flood to Tymon or Bushy and any St.Annes would go to Father Collins.

Hopefully that will be null and void soon with the further easing of restrictions.

Oldbridge parkrun is definitely in County Meath.

I'm loling at the idea of 500 turning up to Darndale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Rivervalley has volunteers down for 22nd. Seriously hoping every parkrun will be back by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was going to post about it but I see it's in the list above. Trim is having its first parkrun this weekend. I've never done one before and it clashes with some of the kids activities but we just might all tip along anyway for the inaugural run.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Out of interest where does it state there is a 500 person limit at present?

The only place I can see that number represented in guidelines is for stadia or enclosed outdoor arenas.

Surely with a public park for parkrun or other races there should be no limit where no indoor setting is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

I was there one time and there was literally more horses in the park than runners (7 vs 6)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

I couldn't find the 500 figure either, but from 20th September all restrictions for outdoor group activities are lifted (not including outdoor concerts or sports matches).

They're playing it safe, which is probably the best approach, as said above, they don't want attention for the wrong reasons. All events will be back soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well, I suppose if Leitrim wanted one, Leitrim would have one. parkrun is a community-led event. That’s the strength of it - it’s a bottom-up organisation. Well, mostly anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I belive in the absence of a government statement saying that it doesn't apply to parkrun, which England had although it made no difference in the end, they are just going for the extreme caution route so that no one can claim they read it wrong if they did open up.

Because they are no longer concerned about having the majority of events in a country open at once means that Ireland does get a sooner restart though, otherwise they would wait until that ambiguous line was removed from the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Forest Park in Boyle is only 10 minutes out the road for Carrick People.

Also north Leitrim is a short spin from Sligo town, Longford town for south of the county. So they are spoiled for choice in fairness.

Could see one taking off in Drumshanbo though if they tried it, could use the boardwalk on the lake linking into the cycling trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This 500 limit is pure b0llocks. 40,000 people at Croke Park this weekend. We really are a country of fools to be accepting this sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

All parkruns will be back on 25th September

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Waterford nature park aiming for October 2nd, no date given by Tramore yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Who hoo, Longford back tomorrow. I'll be starting back at the same pace 30+ min or slower than I did when I did my first park run many years ago. Going to enjoy breaking all those minute barriers all the way up to the 23 min mark which was my goal before covid hit.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Poppintree confirmed back for the 25th September.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Not true. My local parkrun WhatsApp group confirmed it would be 23rd October that it's starting back when all restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well of course it is up to each local team to start up when they are ready - the date can’t be imposed on them. But the fact is, all events have been ‘cleared’ to restart from the 25th. Some will be later, for their own reasons, possible unavailability of venues, people etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jogged around Kilkenny parkrun this morning. It seems like that hill gets longer every year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Did Macroom this morning, hadn't really been paying attention to this thread so was surprised that only 51 showed up, which would be slightly lower than a normal week. Still, good to be back.

Was over a minute off my best time though, parkrun is harder than I remember 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh the sheer JOY of being back at parkrun!!! I did Mallow Castle inaugural, 18 months later than originally planned. The old Mallow park run was in the Town Park so first time at the new location today for parkrun. Great to see over 100 people there, everyone smiling, everyone happy. Seeing the 'caution runners' signs coming into the park was so brilliant. I was delighted to run the whole thing given I haven't run in many months. Volunteering next week then will start my Cork parkrun tour before the mornings get too dark. Normality is resuming 😊🙌

Advertisement