Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Insurance forum is over there ------>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If your careless enough to leave your watch on the passenger seat of your car you probably shouldn’t be wearing valuable watches .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't mock convertibles, they're cool as fúck to drive. Can't wait till the kids fúck off so I can get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I had a convertible for a bit, old 1990 e30 BMW was a lovely car, did a good bit of refurb on her. Sold her in a fit of madness cause I was bored and wanted another project once I had her mint (next project never appeared, bought a watch with the money instead). Love a bit of topless motoring, only thing I didn't realise was that you get sunburned to bits...had to keep sunscreen in the car as even on a cloudy day you can get scalded. I miss that car.

Looks like I will hit the 500 today, sub count very steady at 3 or 4 a day, so another 3-4 months should see me at the fabled 1k mark..

Here is my best comment to date, on the ceramic Daytona vid ....what gets into people at all, what do you even say?

These guys are much better lol

Its a bit of crack the youtube game, a real insight into the though processes of people in a medium without consequences. People tend to drop a comment and never return, so like getting shouted at in the street.I suppose though people are only egged on the comment if they feel you need telling your wrong.

None of those comments are from me, in case anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Watch collecting is a nerd pastime. It’s gotten a little “cooler” and mainstream lately.

Those streams set it back. Middle aged and old me in their box rooms argueing and discussing watches. Begging for superchats and thanking then person that sends them over and over. Talk of the “community”. I find it a little nauseating.

edit…..whooops wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Well done on the (almost) 500 subs. Interesting to see that the Tudor BB Chrono is the most popular vid by a fair margin.

Internet comments sections never fail to convince me that I live in a parallel universe to some other people.

• Advertisement

And my JC is third! BTW I was the first subscriber to the channel. Might turn out to be my only claim to fame in life 🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Second subber here. Jaysus it's just like youtube. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oldie but a goodie, this is what a well worn watch looks like

The quartz version is less expensive, has exactly the same case/bracelet and you can pop it on the wrist any time without having to reset the time. Personally the non-sweep second hand doesn't bother me. Agree the bezel is virtually impossible to use but for me that's not an issue. It has 'presence' without being oversized or loud.

I am in a minority here based on the love in I have seen on a recent thread but I really don’t see the allure with that watch and that range and never did. It looked dated back in the 90s and looks worse now. Current version looks dated. Hate the bracelet design in general.

I was too young to be interested in watches in the 90s compared to most of you corpses so I may have missed all the marketing during the formative years.

For me 893 its 99% nostalgia and 1% watch. Its so dated looking now thats its retro. I think if the nostalgia misses the mark with you its not a good prospect. Still tis no sh1tter, although at the 2500 - 3k mark a newer collector might be better advised look at a BB58 for its superior design.....my feeling is in 20 years the BB58 will be the same, that first aspirational / hard won watch for a lot in the hobby.

'Dated' suits me fine if that's how others view it but to me it's modern.

I wouldn't use the word dated, the watch looks fresh to me. Classic!

@Cyclingtourist - the quartz wears quite differently. It's thinner and lighter. Great if you like that, but personally I prefer the heft and substance of the auto. I've owned both. The auto was my first "good" swiss watch. Had it as my only watch for 3 years, wore it every day no matter what I did that day. The only reason I sold is because I upgraded to Rolex. An interesting journey we are on, although it is a different one for all of us 😁

unkel quote:

"I wouldn't use the word dated, the watch looks fresh to me. Classic!"

I agree, only mentioned it being 'dated' because Fitz did. It's a modern classic.

FitzII quote:

"Its so dated looking now thats its retro."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’ve had one of these since the 00s.

Design is a funny thing, how we all see things differently. I still think that the 2531 is the best looking Seamaster of the lot. The dial and the font on the bezel are both spot on.

i do like the bracelet but it’s pin and collar and has no micro adjustment which sucks.

Doesn’t get a huge amount of wear these days but it’s a reminder of good times so won’t ever get moved on at this stage.

Unbelievably, I was actually unaware of the Bond thing when I bought it. Found out soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

mailforKev : i do like the bracelet but it’s pin and collar and has no micro adjustment which sucks.

Majority of old watches are like old cars in that they can be great until you have to do any more than look at them.

I wore mine mostly on natos as I wasn't really a bracelet man anyway and my wrists swell making a bracelet that's not adjustable on the fly a bit of a no-no

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to read your thoughts Unkel.

I have always had a sweet spot for a midsize version of that Bond. As I'm unlikely to ever spend big money on a watch, I would be more than delighted with the quartz version. But it'll probably never happen, can't ever see myself spending 1k+ on a watch, well not anytime soon.

I could live happily with it, and the 'classic' look would suit me fine.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Midsize is very small, what size are your wrists? That said, Prince William wears his midsize quartz every day. It does look very small on him - he is a tall guy - but he obviously wears it for sentimental reasons as it was given to him by his late mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wee girls wrists!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Haven't been on boards in a good while, congrats, doing a great job

Welcome back! In the “how hard is it to get Rolex thread” your hulk from 2 years ago is now look very cheap!

what’s in your collection now?

JLC Polaris Marine Date - a quick one, was super busy last while and not much time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

@Fitz II your profile is private, send me a pm I might have something for you to review if your interested

Advertisement