Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG electric models

• 02-09-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hi,

anyone experience of these in particular the ZS model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I have a ZS. What ye wondering about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Thanks. I'm looking for a fairly reasonably priced electric car. Is it a good car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I saw one in real life over the weekend. It's way nicer in the flesh than on the website.

Not sure how they did that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭eagerv

Saw the estate at Kilcullen charging last week. Taxi. Looked well in a nice Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭beardo81

Very little talk of the ZS Electric on this forum. Considering it is probably the lowest priced mid-size SUV electric on the market, that is a little strange imo.

I know there are a lot more VW's and Kia's etc. sold but would be nice to see some owner of the MG electrics on here too!

Any owners want to give a quick review or rundown on their overall experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

Very good value EV, but from what Ive read elsewhere , rust proofing not up to scaratch, under underside of body

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

This please!!

Entering production, right hand promised - keep yhe price below €30,000 and I'm in😁😀😄

I saw that as well and it put me off. But doing some follow up it appears to all stem from one video and it isn't clear if it is really an MG. Loads of MG owners on forum said they have no issues.

This guy gives his impressions after having it for 9 months. Seems to generally like it. Nice comfortable drive and range around what they claim.

Few small build issues as expected and the infotainment unit is shoddy (but apparently this just got an update).

https://youtu.be/IhhrCKqr7g4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There's several owners out there who have had issues and posted videos and images. The owners pages for the new MGs are very biased.

Bigger issues though are that in the UK dealers have a lot of issues sorting minor issues but issues which can disable the cars. Tends to be software related but support from MG is poor.

They didn't do well in comparison to other electric vehicles in a reliability index about 6 months ago, but if you compare the result to all cars regardless of fuel type they were pretty good.

UK experience tends to depend on how good the dealership is. Credible importer here will hopefully help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

I had a ZS on test and found it generally pretty good. It was surprisingly efficient for its size and shape and I think for the average buyer looking for 'an electric SUV', this isn't bad value, especially if you're aren't too fussed about style/image/what the badge on the front says. Speaking of which, I did find the charge port a bit annoying to use at a rapid charger as you have to hunker down a bit to see in to where it is - it would be handy if MG added a light there. Those with limited mobility mightn't appreciate this aspect. It did work well on the 50kW DC charger, and was consistent when recharging from 5% up to 80% so no issues there.

The interior is fine, build quality is ok too. I found the infotainment display to be pretty poor to use but having Apple CarPlay was a way around it (for me anyway). Happy to answer any other questions about it.

I've never used carplay or android auto. But is it pretty much just your phone takes over the screen? And you get a few car friendly apps to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, plug the phone into the USB port and Android Auto automatically takes over the screen. From there you can use 'OK Google' commands, phone calls, Spotify, Google Maps or Waze etc. It's a handy feature imo.

Hi Dave, whats the realistic range on it in a mix of urban, motorway and main road driving?

Bjorn Nyland did a range test in it. Seems like about 260 is accurate if you average at about 90km/h. Motorway at a full 120km/h brought it down to around 170km. I reckon if you split the difference you wouldn't be far off 220.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I think the best place to see opinions is on the EV owners FB. I have my ZS (exclusive model) for a year now exactly (just renewed the tax!) and love it. Range is great and I see no issues underbody as mentioned above. Mine was back to the garage twice (for the same issue!) but that has been resolved now and the service from the dealer was second to none... which was great considering I bought the car in the UK. Issue was with a loom but I've not seen any evidence online that this is common and could find noone else having the same issue when asking on forums. These things happen I guess but so long as the service is good, happy days.

Car has about 20k on it from me, which is decent considering the lockdowns. Used as a daily run about with a small child (creche runs and the likes) and the space inside is great. Split level boot is great as it can be left raised day to day to save the back. Good sized boot meakes our tris across the country no hassle and the latest BMS updates allow for some really great charging speeds. Get the full 50 from the ESB and up to 80KW on IONITY. Naas to Midleton in Cork requires just 15-20 mins in Cashel when driving motorway spped limit of 120. I'm not into this eco driving as I'm happier just to take a break, strectch the legs and let the little lads out of his seat for a while.

Car range last winter was about 200 give or take a little and in summer has been 220-230 for me. All depends on the driving style but I'm getting 19kwh/100km without consiously trying to "eco drive". I'm sure 17-18 would be easilyu possible with a little effort.

Car is standing up to Irish roads well. No creaking or rattling and the bodywork is remaining tight. The power is fantastic and considering it has an axel rear suspension setup it feel quite planted. The low center of gravity certainly helps.

Little niggles.... the main headlights are awful as stock. I immediatly swapped for LEDs. Antroid Auto was a pain to get working until I recently changed by phone. Seems to be a little hit and miss for most folks, and USB debugging has to be turned on for it to work it seems. MG Pilot is great but the lane keeping can be a little jerky making it a little unconfortable for pasengers at times (who may thing you can't steer smoothly!). All the safty stuff is top notice and its not slow to alert if the person in front brakes suddently or someone steps out, fron or rear.

Would I buy one again... Yes! Would I buy one again at the Irish prices... Yes! There is really nothing that touches the MG in terms of bang for your buck and while it is cheap, the dealer service and the warranty certainly lessen my worries about owning an MG over the years to come.

I'll be interested in the upcoming long range version (worst kept secret but its coming!) and may be tempted to flip into one... just to give that extra level of comfort. Its always nice to have some range left over when you arrive at your destination :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Seen one of these around recently. But wouldn't buy one, the Chinese can feck off, they have enough of our money

I've been keeping track of my mileage to see how far the range on this MG ZS would get me. Normal day to day. Drop kids to school, fly to the shops, head to Aldi, playground etc.etc.

After 12 days I've only done 130 miles. At that rate it would only need to charge once a fortnight. Once I'm back to the office it would add 70 miles to the weekly tally so I'd need to charge once a week at that point. But I could then use the free work charger so even cheaper !!

There is little to no chance of getting a low spec / sub 40k ID4 or Ioniq 5 for the next year.

I've yet to see a bad review of this car. Every complaint seems to have been around the infotainment and the amount of bongs. Both of which seemed to get addressed with updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

Buzzfish, excellent review and thanks for posting

Great to hear that. That range isn't too bad. When is the extended range car coming? That's passed me by

Heard next year for the extended range. But nothing official.

That's great. It's a pity they're not doing the MG5 facelift in RHD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I would have been one of the first in the country with the ZS. After 18 months I'd still rate it as a great buy and at the price I imported especially.

Lane assist, adaptive cruise control all work really well and can be turned on/off as needed. Range is fine considering the size and shape. 200km summer and 170 winter is fairly realistic with how I drive.

I've just agreed a trade to move on. It will be a while but zero regrets with the MG and would be happy to return to the brand if they offer something really interesting in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭beardo81

Trading up to something with more range? How did you fare on trade in financially of you don't mind me asking?

Moving to an i4, not for the range. Just wanted something different and have wanted a proper electric BMW since my i3.

I got offered 22k for my 201 reg exclusive based on trade in next April.

I'll probably look at shifting it privately closer to the time and changing the deal. Too far out to know if I have a crap deal or not.

That's a good 10k lost in 2 years. I know new cars do lose a good chunk fast but i am surprised at that. I'd say if the ID4s weren't selling themselves they might have given you a bit more. But you can't get one of those until after easter there is such demand.

• Advertisement

Not buying a VW ID4, getting a BMW i4. The delay isn't down to demand but moreso production delays Also I won't be losing €10k, I imported the MG myself before they were available here so paid considerably less

Advertisement