Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a brompton - where?

• 05-09-2021 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I see halfords sell them online. Anywhere in person? Is it recommended to go and see in person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

My brother picked his up in McConvey's in Belfast, with a BTW. I think it came in about €400 cheaper than down here at the time. It's a few years ago now mind, I don't know if that still the case or not.

Edit: There are different handlebar variations, and a couple of other options. I went up with him to check them out (from Louth so the trip wasn't too bad). I think it would be worth checking out what suits you, if you can find a dealer that's local enough to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

I bought mine here in 2017. They are usually made to order so probably not possible to see in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are probably other makes of foldable bikes, but without the prominence of the Brompton name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Indeed.

I have a (I think) very decent folding bike called a Tern P10, can get up a reasonable speed on it but suspect the folding mechanism is not as slick as a Brompton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cycle Superstore usually have some on display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think the store I got mine in is closed now. It was a long time ago.

As said already, you get to mix a few different options: three handlebar types, four options for transmission (single-speed, three-speed hub, two-speed derailleur, six-speed combination of derailleur and hub gear), and colour of frame and fork. You used to be able to get titanium fork and rear triangle for a lighter bike; maybe you still can. You also can chose a standard-length seat post, a longer seat post, and a telescopic seat post if you're very tall.

Anyway, it's probably worth trying out the bike in store to get exactly what suits you. I did this, and it was useful, but I still had to wait for a few weeks to get the bike I'd ordered assembled and delivered to the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was there a place in Limerick that did them?

Aside from the suggestions above, you also need to chose if you want an R (rear rack) or L (just mudguards) version. The rear rack isn't a lot of use as the front bag system on a Brompton is fantastic, but it does make it more stable when folded (e.g. you can set it up as a shopping cart). You can choose a built in dynamo, or the extra light titanium mentioned above (but it is 800€+ more expensive, to save 800g)

I'm a huge fan of my Brompton and would recommend one to anyone. I own road and gravel bikes but I enjoy my Brompton every bit as much, even for longer 50km+ slower rides. I would advise trying to do a test ride though, particularly to choose between M, H and S handlebars

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I do indeed have an M6R and would recommend that unless you live somewhere very flat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have a three-speed. I find it fine for Dublin. People's experience will vary though.

Coincidentally I saw my first electric Brompton in the wild this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Thanks guys. Was thinking of the 2 speed because it's so light and will only be doing short trips

Advertisement