Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dan Martin announces his retirement

• 03-09-2021 11:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dan Martin has announced that the Tour of Britain and Il Lombardia will be his last ever races.

Being a relative youngster, Dan has given me most of my best memories as an Irish cycling fan. Absolute legend and deserves a massive send off.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good on him for calling it. He's not going to achieve more than he already has, and the twins must be 3 or 4 now. A team mate of his should take note!!!!

I expect Nico to do the same in the next while he's not confirmed a contract for next year.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Top 10 finishes in each of the Tours, a number of classics podiums and getting to the top step in a few monuments. A very decent pro.

Surprising to see he didn't contest MSR, Paris Roubaix or Flanders at any point given the success he had in the other races.

Always seemed to have a decent attitude and was the opposite of a prima-donna. Surprising to see him go from racing two GT's this year to retiring but maybe the motivation isn't there to go again. Actually, he says as much himself.

"In some ways, deciding to stop has been challenging and complex; it's perhaps one of the biggest and most important decisions I have ever made; and in other ways, it's been easy. Though I am still competitive, I've realised that racing has lost the fun element: the whole reason I race in the first place.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Morris Garren

He will remembered as one the most natural and tenacious riders of this era; up there with Gilbert, Alaphilippe and Valverde in terms of punchy finisher and a world class climber; only thing missing for him is a world champion jersey, 2013/14 were probably his best chances. Nevertheless he owes the sport nothing, has never courted controversy or acted the d1ckhead as a racer. I expect lots of genuine plaudits and I am delighted actually to see him exit given the loss of love that has become apparent this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

Brilliant career, many many highlights. Some better luck/circumstances/choices and he could have had couple of GT podiums but the Monument wins should make up for that when he looks back on it all. Great Irish sportsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

His epic stage win in the Giro this year had me on the edge of the seat.

Pity things never came together at the Olympics.

Chapeau Dan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Fantastic rider with a great attitude to racing. His win in LBL is one of my best cycling memories. Would be good if he brought out a book.

Unfortunate to have had to compete with Valverde who pushed him into second on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A wonderful career. I fell out with cycling just before he was in his pomp, so that missed a lot of his career highlights but he was still competing well right up until last year (4th in the Vuelta) and this year's Giro stage win.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Smashing career, all the best Dan

Loved watching him. He was a brave rider and seemed like he was part of the days narrative on a disproportionate number of stages. In recent years it was painful watching how long it took him to stand up straight after getting off the bike, and expected this news for a long time.

My partner is not into cycling at all, but if we ended up watching a stage on an evening she’d always look out for him…..was one of the few riders she knew and she’d get excited if he was in the mix. Was funny hearing her shout “go-on Dan” if he was in the group at the pointy end of a day. Which is a credit to his character and the way that he came across.

• Advertisement

I remember the tour when the twins were due, a fan handed in a bag of baby stuff to the bus for him, he had a tweet about it and was genuinely chuffed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Going out at the top, that's the way to do it.

A true legend of Irish cycling.

Have a long and sucessful career post cycling Dan and thanks for the memories.

Thinking today of the he crash in the Tour with Porte and possibly finishing that tour cost him dearly. I suspect he still feels the effects of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of our best ever, and one of the best ever. If he wasn't up against Valverde he would've won more. I'm going to miss watching for the bobbing head.

Obviously his win in Liege was amazing, but that kick out of the group to win Lombardy was the one for me.

I think the writing was on the wall when he started saying he wasn't prepared to take risks at the Giro, even if the lost time helped him be allowed up the road to win that stage. That performance alone shows him going out at the top, holding off the GC group at that stage was some feat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think the writing was on they wall when he signed for his current team. That appeared to be his retirement plan and fair play to him.

I'm a bit confused by that comment tbh, unless it's a non-cycling comment*. He's got two GT stage wins with them and a top 4 in the Vuelta and top 10 in the Giro, and the team has done alright between him and Woods.

*which makes no sense, given he moved from UAE!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

id say between UAE and Israel he stacked the cash ( at least i hope he did)

yeh not a bad final season really

his style will be missed

I thought it was strange this year that he rode the Giro and TDF... he seemed knackered at the TDF and would have been fresher for a go in the Vuelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Gutted. Always had me hooked on races he was involved in.

Just hope Dunbar gets a move away from Ineos soon so we have a replacement Irish interest to follow.

Is he racing the UK tour?

• Advertisement

I suppose we don't know whether that was him or the team. He went to the Tour to target stages, but like you said, never really had the legs by the time he'd put in the effort to get in the break. On reflection, even more so than the talk at the time, the stage win at the Giro was probably a big goal for the year!

hopefully he's a stage identified on the tour of Britain to give it a go. Today would have been a good one, but seems like those two lads took everyone by surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭secman

The elite irish nationals are on in early October, wonder will he finish off there ? Course is on and around old N11 from Beehive, Barndarrig. Saw a few skeletons in skinsuits training for the time trial on Sat and Sunday. TT is on 30th Sept and road races on the following few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Anyone willing to bring the LBL panda 🐼 out of retirement for the nationals if Dan does decide to compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Morris Garren

Is it Linford Christie in the Panda costume after all????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I dont think Dan Martin is riding the nationals in October now. Nico is riding so deducing for that picture Dan isn't

So one of Nico or Dan are not riding the Worlds either from that picture ???

How many places have we for the Worlds does anyone know ?

maybe they are letting the younger guys ride ?

End of an era

• Advertisement

We've 6 spots at the world's

Advertisement