Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bayview killiney - risk of flood

• 06-09-2021 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone, I need help.

So after we're almost sale agreed and paid deposit on house in bayview, we've discovered the area has flood risk. As per the research it looks like the was flood nearby in 2011

However we're not sure as we don't know locals there to ask. Can anyone here help with information on how serious the flooding situation in this area :( we loved the house so much

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my wife's parents have lived there since late 80ies, never had any flood issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bayview is on a slope down to the sea, I'd be very surprised if it flooded in recent memory. A little further down the coast near Shankill Dart station is pretty flat maybe thats where it flooded previously?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Can you contact your insurance company and ask them if they know or have marked the area as a risk? It's also going to be very important in that sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A poster with one post come on and names a very specific area right down to naming the estate something a bit peculiar about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

There was torrential rain and flash flooding one night in autumn 2011. A lady died in Harolds Cross. It was a really freak event. Like a monsoon.

If there was only flooding nearby and not at the property you are buying then there’s nothing to worry about I’d have thought. Check with the council. They will have detailed flood records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I know someone lived in Bayview thirtty years, never a sign of being flooded. Never heard of it happening! I think you needn't worry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

30 years isn't a long time for flood risk analysis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rs86

Thanks everyone. That had been very helpful

I'll check with the insurance company and the council as advised

I checked. it was nearby but not in the property itself

That's an important point though. Thanks for pointing out

Sorry you thought it's peculiar

I registered when I had a question. I'm not originally from Ireland. That's why I had doubts about the house and I'm not sure which information you expected me to share instead of the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

One can never predict the future but that is the first time I have heard of specific risks of flooding for that particular area.

There are risk areas and there can also be freak occurrences e.g blocked drains and sewers.

OP got me curious, had a look at https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/ to check out the area.

Bayview is not a area at risk on that, historically the nearest flooding was on 5/12/1982 down the coast near Shankill (the approximate area i mentioned earlier that was flat). I run though the area every week so am acutely away of hills and flat stretches, I wouldn't worry about Bayview at all to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks everyone for the helpful data!

So I'm not worried now. Just need to make sure it's ok with the bank

I called the insurance companies and they said they have to put explicit exclusion of flooding from the house insurance because of having that eir code in the risk zone

Need to confirm the bank will be ok with that

Just a thought OP, whilst they may want to put an exclusion from area flooding (which wouldn't worry me in the slightest here) I would make sure that doesnt exclude something like a burst water pipe in the house, it can happen - DIY/dodgy tradesman doing update or pure bad luck.

I came close once doing DIY in the bathroom to having a total flooding disaster, thankfully i had a mains valve thingy to turn it off outside our house whilst herself jammed her finger in the mains pipe otherwise we would have been flooded out. We joke about it now but it wasn't funny at the time.

Thank you so much. Would have never considered that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, parts of Bayview has flooded, as has Seafield a number of times. The last big flood was about 15 years ago. Bayview effectively became an island. the two rivers either side burst the banks and the lane to the beach was 6ft deep, as the water came down between the houses and dart line and turned under the tunnel

There are a number of houses on both estates where sales have fallen through as insurance companies wont provide cover. and a number of houses have had planning rejected cause of flood risk

It really depends where in the estate you are. its mainly the ones close to the lane at Seafield that flood. it is a great estate and you will be really happy there.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you might want to zoom in on that map. as you are not looking

at Bayview

it has Bayview in both the high probability and medium.

Advertisement