Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHEV Service Intervals

Options
  • 06-09-2021 1:07pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Question for the experts.

How are the service intervals calculated for a PHEV?

What I mean is for example for something like an oil change which might typically be every 10,000 kms for a standard ICE vehicle.

Is it automatically the same interval for a PHEV?

The car might have covered 10k , but 5 or 6 k of that might have been using the battery only so technically speaking the Petrol/Diesel engine has only covered 4 or 5k during the period , so in theory the oil or filters (or sparkplugs or whatever it might be) are still good for a while yet.

Are the computerised Service indicators in PHEV's smart enough to make that distinction or is it just a simple calculation of "X Distance travelled , therefore Y Service activity now due" ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yep, just as you say, X,000kms travelled, or 12/24/26 months elapsed, service due.

My BMW 530e PHEV called for a service at 33k km, so no different from a petrol/diesel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭SteM

On a side note to this - is there any way of knowing the ice mileage on a PHEV? We were looking at a 2017 Ioniq PHEV but it had done 52000 miles. Problem is, that might have been a lot of driving on EV only mode, there seems to be no way of knowing for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I figured mine out using the PHEV Watchdog app on my phone and a bluetooth OBDII dongle. It gave me figures for pure electric distance from new and I calculated from that. The car's display will not show these details at all.

My car is a 2019 Ioniq PHEV with 62000 miles and I was not worried anyway when I bought it as the car has been serviced 5 times since new (which is about right according to the mileage). Mine has covered just over half the above mileage on battery power alone so the previous owner was religious about charging it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for that. I have one of those dongles for the Leaf so I'll try it with the app on the Ioniq and see what number I get.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I suspected as much - I have a 530e as well.

I've done 9.5k since I got it , but just shy of 6k of that is Electric only so was just wondering how clever the Service indicators were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement