Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids in coffee shops - yay or nay

• 05-09-2021 8:42pm

Simple question - have you any issue with taking small kids into coffee shops?

I always have taken mine and have never had any issues as my one and two-year-old can normally stay in their seats and tend not to disturb anyone.

Today, we headed to our local Costa at 10am as it was raining and we needed to get out of the house after a stressful week on a number of fronts.

Normally lots of families and kids in there but it was still early and so was quiet.

One lady in 60s near us reading a paper and man in his 60s/70s arrived and sat near us.

Kids were fine for first 15 minutes but one year old got antsy and wanted out of the high seat. The man started getting antsy himself and started staring and flapping his paper.

I took her out and we walked around to see if that would settle her. She didn't go near anyone.

Then the two paper readers, who didn't know each other, started exchanging audible comments about the suitability of the place for kids. The male started huffing about it not being a creche, and the lady said we had arrived at the wrong place at the wrong time. They were both very put out.

As it happens, we had decided to make our escape already as I am always conscious of disturbing others. But I couldn't leave without walking past the man and saying pointedly that I hoped he could read his paper in peace now. I also said the library was just up the road if he needed quietness. He seemed shocked that I challenged him and nearly fell off his chair.

My two year old asked if we could stay as he was happy out and my wife said we had to go as there were some ignorant people in the shop. Both heard her pointed comment.

Anyway, who's right and who's wrong in this situation?

I ask here as I know if I ask in a parenting forum I'll probably just get one perspective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Other people's kids are annoying :) but they are part and parcel of life.

It's costa so not exactly fine dining and complaining about kids /young families is kinda like complaining about teenagers in macdonalds.

They both sound like grumpy old people I think fair play to you for saying something I wouldn't have the guts.

Tell them if you have something to say to me then say it and then tell them to **** off, if they don't like it leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Coffee shops, restaurants, supermarkets, garden centres, DIY shops, concerts, trains, buses, circuses, no problem if they can behave themselves and not disturb other customers, or the parents have the cop on to remove them if they can't.

There kids, if the noise of a child annoys you then your probably a prick in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

I always take mine into coffee shops and she always causes chaos eventually. I dont care though. If anyone says anything they can go whistle. I had to put up with noisy kids when I was working in shops etc years ago. It's payback time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Some people think their toddler is a godsend to mankind...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No issue here and most people will try to calm their kid down if they go off on one so other customers won't be disturbed.

It's the selfish parents who think everyone else has to suffer their kid running riot that are a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course kids can be in coffee shops and the like, and the vast majority are no disturbance to anyone - a small baby in a high chair eating - or failing to eat - cake and grinning gummily at the world can be very entertaining. Problems only arise when parents make no effort to mind their kids, let them run riot around the place while absorbed in their chat or their phone. There is a lot of difference between a toddler having a toddler type meltdown and kids who are old enough to know better being allowed to play chase round the tables.

A cafe isn't a playground, kids have loads of energy so take them to the playground and let them run some of it off before expecting them to be peaceable in a cafe. People are entitled to have a quiet cuppa and a chat, just as parents are entitled to bring in kids, but there has to be a bit of consideration on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,770 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

unless the kids are constantly bawling, running amok or throwing sugar cubes I don’t mind kids just being kids and being a bit loud... if it was a case they were (which they weren’t) being an obvious nuisance in the manner I’ve described or similar and there was no effort to calm them by the parents or guardian then do the decent thing, finish your drink and bye bye.... every situation is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're always going to get people in cheap coffee shops and cheap Ryanair flights that think they're at the opera or a Swan Lake ballet. These people are usually the ones that didn't grow up going to cafe's, restaurants or foreign holidays and think because they're paying they're entitled to five star treatment and a zen like ambiance. Unfortunately for them, they're just normal people in normal places surrounded by other normal people.

If they want peace and quiet they have to chose their cafe's better. Costa at 10am isn't a good choice for this lot, but they don't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

Nobody is entitled to peace and quiet, no matter where you go there will always be people young and old. Coffee Shops are for everyone, if children act up then so be it, we can make a choice to stay or leave, personally I wouldnt have a problem with it as i said people are people

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you want to take your progeny out, and they cannot behave, then do the decent thing and stick to places built for children, McDonalds and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's a one year old child. OP can take their kids and themselves to any cafe and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Absolutely bring em. Our lad, 3, loves going for a babycino and is always fine. If he has a whinge we figure it out there and then. Don't think we've ever had to leave anywhere with him due to any behavior. If you want a quiet place to read a newspaper then choose more wisely.

If you want to be a miserable old fucker, stay at home and away from the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Something I just realised a couple of weeks ago was a thing was a baby chino. It is frothed milk with chocolate powder on top. Are any of you familiar with this or do I just have odd friends? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

They have puppachinos now too, just whipped cream I believe 🤣

My two year old had a small cup of frothed milk. They asked did he want chocolate and marshmallows, which we didn't, and described it as a babychino. I'm not sure they even charged. The small lad was delighted as he felt like he had his own coffee like his parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

Cheeky b@stard, the poor kids were locked up for a year so he could survive long enough to drink his coffee, then he has the nerve to say they shouldn't be there.

Ask the coffee shops what kind of business they'd prefer, the families come in and out, buying coffee's, pastries, baby chino's, fruit. Or the person who buys a single cup of coffee and sits over it for an hour.

Ha, I wasn't going to bring up this side of it but I have to say it did cross my mind. Ordinarily when it rains we'd have gone to a local soft play centre which has a coffee area for parents but they are still all closed due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My 3.5 year old loves a babycino. It’s a prerequisite of the playground visit now.

I have a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old. We don’t regularly go into coffee shops but I’d have no problem taking them in as long as they are behaving themselves. Once we give them something to eat they are both happy to sit down. Running around or shouting means we leave but it’s never actually happened. How can you teach them how to behave in public if you never take them anywhere they need to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

I think you were dead right to handle it the way you did, well done. The coffee is usually terrible in those soft play places, go wherever suits you, parents are the coffee shops bread and butter, that's why the sell juices, and kids chocolate lollies, and baby chinos and stuff. Its not like you wandered into an old man pub.

Yes of course, OP. Coffee shops are for everyone of all ages, except Capricorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tell them to go **** themselves. I saw a similar situation a couple of years ago. Family with 2 young kids on a Sunday afternoon and 3 oul fuckers sitting not too far away, a young adult and his two parents. Kids weren't misbehaving, just beings kids. But when the grumpy oul shites got their bill they whinged about kids being in the place. The manager looked a bit surprised but told them it's a family premises and they're more than happy to serve families. The father of the kids heard them complain and asked them why didn't they have the balls to say something to him instead of bitching now about him and his family to someone else. One the of idiots in the group started hissing!

To top it off, the manager went over to the family and apologised and told them they'd be happy to have them back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You should have asked one of the workers, loud enough so the 2 miserable bags would hear you, "Is it ok to have kids in here?". When they say "Of course", give the 2 yokes daggers. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

did the store have a sign saying "no children allowed" ? No, well then its fine to bring them into the cafe.

for your part, you are then to keep them under control so as not to cause a disturbance to others (ie kids shouting running around like mad or throwing a tantrum).

from what you have posted, you have behaved responsibly and are 100% in the right in my view.

Kids don't learn how to behave in public if they never get to experience being in public. Its a part of growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

small foamy milk drink. might get lucky and have hot chocolate thrown in

Advertisement