Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you Irish love the chipper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

It's becoming harder and harder to find a chipper that has a bucket of batter on the go and will dip fish as you order it.

My town had none that done battered fish to order until about 2 months ago when a new one opened, their fish is great their chips are great and have won awards, but they are always empty, nobody goes in their people just stick to the same old places and won't try the new place, how the fukk do you know what the food is like if you won't go in. I raging cos they will likely not survive because people won't try them out, anyone I have forced in their won't go anywhere else now but I can't convert a whole town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

After reading this thread, I've decided that I want chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I find the opposite, never had a bad fish & chips in England,atleast they know how to batter a fish and not loose the thing in a cocoon of doughy grease.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Chippers in Britain always cook their chips for longer, so they are crispier & browner. I just love the crispies in the bottom of the bag. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_12XpBm0IMkQ/TKTzWQMPQzI/AAAAAAAAEfc/d9k8MhH6uuI/s1600/britishchipshop4.jpg

Irish Chip shops listen up "Cook your Chips for longer please".

Well as a resident in East Anglia for almost eight years I've only found ONE decent chipper between Cambridge, Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds. There are some really poor chippers in England and as for not having doughy batter...some of the worst battered fish I've ever had has been in England. Disgusting.

That said, the one good chipper I did find has made up for all of the bad ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I've been living in the UK now for about 7 months and I miss Irish chippers. It could just be where I live, but every local chipper here (and there's a lot) seem to be going the fast food route with their chips. They're all cut way too thin and come out too clean and dry.
    Proper chips need to be thick and leave the bag see-through, and all the ones at the end of the bag should be either little crispy corners or greasy, salty, vinegary mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't get Fish so can't comment but in my local (Macaris - Raheny), you'll always have the burger cooked on front of you.

I am 99% certain the Fish is only thrown in the oil if you order it too.

God, don't know many chippers with that glass cabinet and bulb heating lark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I just love the vinegar. I´d eat the brown paper bag if it´s soaked in it mmm vinegar-y goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

I'd really love a bag of chips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would not go into any chipper unless it was a member of ITICA. I have yet in all my years to get food poisoning from a single, fish or batter burger.

26th May is National Fish & Chip day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I definitely think the general standard of fish and chips in England is far, far higher than in Ireland. But it's their national dish, it's to be expected.
    But the colcannon in ireland if way better

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I definitely think the general standard of fish and chips in England is far, far higher than in Ireland. But it's their national dish, it's to be expected.
    But the colcannon in ireland if way better

have you ever tried ordering colcannon in a chipper in town at 1 in the morning
    after a savage beer swilling bender?....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

For a while now Leo Burdocks have been battering their stuff off-site so im afraid fresh battered products are even further out of reach.

Dont get me wrong, the chips are great. What comes with them is poor fare. It seems the Italian lads come in at around 10AM to do the battering and reheat it at night. Why give yourself a 12-14 hour shift when you could just cook things fresh for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sorry, no. It’s the complete opposite. Very difficult to find any chipper here who freshly batter fish. Most in the UK do. I asked my local chippy on my last (rare) visit if they freshly batter their fish...”yes” the nice Italian man says so I order a fish and chips. He proceeds to go in the freezer and take out a bag of battered fish and chucks one in the fryer 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

When I was living in Argentina I missed the occasional feed from an Irish chipper, as you tend to when you're away for long periods.

My prayers were answered when I stumbled across an Irish chipper called "Chipper" (no messing about with the name!). in the middle of Buenos Aires. It's run by an Irish woman (not an Italian weirdly enough!).

Bloody delighted , I was!

There are good chippers and there are bad chippers.

They’re not all run by one big corporate entity and are universally the same.

If you take somewhere like the Fish Wife on MacCurtain St in Cork - all freshly bartered fish, great chips and even serve swordfish.

Sorrento in Stoneybatter in Dublin has been around for decades and is totally unpretentious and delicious.

There are lots of good places, but there are also some places I would skip.

Fish and Chips in England really only became a broader national dish after WWII.

https://youtu.be/hxVnr23jioU

• Registered Users Posts: 84,359 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dinos too

Zicos closed down

It's just convenient and nice sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Theres some awful, some good and lots of so-so chippers. The terrible chippers wont stay in business for long.

The multis and chains have pushed out the independent places and what many of those serve are fries, not proper chips.

Curry Bacon Cheese Chips is unreal!

Battered fish is nice but only from certain chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,697 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m living in between two, excellent chippers... spotlessly clean, delicious and flavorsome food, in two of them you can see them battering the fish, sausages, burgers etc... everything is fresh...

the third one went a bit crap, used to be best and the food while is edible isn’t AS good since a takeover and the sister of the new owner who when working there seems to be employed just to make small talk with the auld wans and auldfellas, and will get to your order when she can sort of attitude...on my way home from work, starving, and I’m left standing, giving evils and getting them back... I’m here or food and efficient service but let’s entertain the pensioners... “ how is your Maureen, we haven’t seen her..”. I’d eat the scabby head off a bulldog im that hungry, just take the order and then get back to pretending you give a shît about Maureen and Frank, jeebus !

They lost my business when they changed their curry recipe to rank watery shît.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

very few of the Italian chippers are run by Italians any more - I am close to the industry and very few Italians are involved. The chippers tend to be owned by the older generations but the kids arent interested and moved on, leaving the folks rent it to whomever will take it over ( or close )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

most chippers now use frozen fish your as well to go and get frozen battered fish in the supermarket and cook it yourself.

when I was young in the uk we went to the chipper on the corner. he had a potato peeling machine and a chipping machine and only cooked fresh fish delivered daily (van outside every day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Chippy?

Not an institution in Ireland at all unless you find carpenters culturally important, otherwise in Ireland have chippers.

Nothing battered could ever be bad no matter how long it sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I've tried many In Ireland. Most of the Dublin ones, especially that abomination, the Irish Italian Chippers Association, serve absolute pre battered muck.

A good chip shop batters fresh, cooks fresh and has enough customers to not have cooked food waiting on display for more than a few mins. Waiting a few mins for freshly battered *fresh* fish is no brother.

Yep, a really shyte one.

Get over to Scotland or somewhere where they know how to cook fish and chips (and sausage and pies and black pudding and haggis and chicken...)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

:) Make a holiday of it, well worth it!

All the way for a bag of chips, it could change your life.

Think of rather be surrounded by Glaswegians Vs Dubs.

Fuk it, this thread has be convinced, I'm moving there, leaving Europe for a fish supper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any good chippers around Dublin 2 or 4?

Advertisement