Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reseed now or spring

• 01-09-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Started a thread earlier,I am just wondering I was thinking of reseeding a field, probably ploughing it, is it two late to spray it off in the next day or two or would I be better to wait till spring?

if waiting till spring what could be the earliest date you could sow grass seed, mid April?

Never sow grass before in the spring time, so if sow as early as possible time wise what would be a rough date you should be exspecting to graze the field?

what do people find here better the autumn or spring to reseed?

If sown in autumn does this effect post emergence spray?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You’ll probably get different opinions on both and in essence both will be fine. The challenge you will have if you spray now, you’ll need to give it ten days to burn off before ploughing and you’ll be at the mercy of the weather. Whilst it’s perfect at the moment, that could change as you head towards mid to end of September. if weather holds, you could sow well into October. Same in spring, you just need the weather to play ball (& no frost)

That said, I’m basing that on my heavy midlands land which once it gets wet at this time of year, it simply doesn’t dry. I ploughed one year around 20th August, weather broke and ended sowing on 7th May following year!!

Worst case scenario, assuming that you are planning for without the ground for the winter so you spray now, plough in a couple of weeks and if you get it sown, then great, and if not then it’s ploughed and ready for tilling once the spring comes.

probably won’t need post emergence spray in autumn but you will definitely in spring sowing

should be ready for grazing after 6 weeks in the spring and a bit longer for autumn. If you could graze with sheep the fist time, better job. Lighter on the ground and will graze tighter

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

At this stage I'd wait for spring, too late to start unless it is ground that has been dug up for drainage etc. I would walk thru it see what weeds are there and at a stage for spraying if so spray with a selective herbicide.

Would also feed it away before the closed period, slurry fert or dung, will help boost indexes before spring and and will help get a few extra grazings. Target it for the spring then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If you are ploughing, I’d go now. Warm dry soil. A lot less weed to contend with next early summer. But if disking it’s too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

would it grow in six weeks if sown in april, not around here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭morphy87

yeah it’s too late for disking,so if only sprayed now it could be mid September,a neighbor bounding me sowed years ago the last week of September and it absolutely flew it so Maybe It might be worth it,even though most people here say your reseeding should be done by the end of August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not really. I've alot of discing to do from 2 weeks onwards

This is true. Less weeds in the autumn but also alot less chance of getting out with post emergence spray if required due to weather

All depends on what you know about your own ground.

Stuff that was sown late last year grew well over the winter for this spring. Also the weather turned and there was ground sprayed off that wasn't sown till April this year.

I sowed grass in early March this year and it grew well. Lads that waited till mid April then got caught with the late frosts in May and the grass got checked. Then stuff sown in May git caught with the drought and got dirty as the weeds could outperform the grass that had no moisture.

Reseeding is a gamble at the best of times. There is no such thing as a one stop method. Your really st the mercy of the gods and the weather at the best of times. Seen farmers do everything right and the crop be poor and lads that did the bare minimum and got a Savage crop.

So if you do sow in the autumn and it does need spray how do you overcome that problem? What is the latest you could spray? What happens if chick weed gets a hold?

so what’s the latest date you reckon you will be sown this year?

Post edited by morphy87 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

What is the best time to use a post emergence spray and are there any suitable for clover?

Usually from 4 to 6 weeks after germinating depending on the weed establishment

Clovermax is used as a clover safe spray but have heard mixed results. I had good results but others haven't. Most farmers nowadays are sowing clover free mixes and sorting the weeds with the likes of envy which is deadly to weeds and clover alike, then stitching in clover once they have a handle on the weeds.

Chickweed usually is sorted by either mowing or grazing.

You may not need to spray till the spring if you sow late as the weeds may not get established with the harsher weather and of it does the weeds will die back over the winter where the grass will keep establishing. How often have we seen more grass growing in Dec than the previous Oct.

I've sown in Oct some years and stopped in Sept in others due to weather. It all depends on the back end on how kind it is weather wise.

If grass was sown by the 20th of September would you be hoping to graze it early November before the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

It’s all about the weather....... you’d need good weather all along but it’s possible. That said, I’d be letting out a few sheep as opposed to 30 dry cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As usual that'd depend ...

What's the soil like - what's the weather like - how heavy are the stock ?

And I suppose how'l you're reseeding , disking- ploughing

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Soil is very dry, it turns like powder when dry,stock will be around 440 kgs

If doing the job i hope to plough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you sow it now and it's not a success, you get another chance in spring.

If you wait until spring and it doesn't take you don't get a second chance!

I wouldn't plough unless you really had to. That type of ground would respond well to discing and powerharrow. Would be quicker too and easier to level

Why wouldn’t you plough?

The reason I was going to plough was to level the field

• Advertisement

Burying your best topsoil plus can be harder to level at times. If the ground is as dry as you say it'll turn to powder very quickly and easily hence discing would do

If you can plough nicely without going more than deeper than 7 inches, it’s the way to go but I haven’t seen it done for 25 years. (14” wide 6” deep) If you haven’t the depth with modern wide mouldboards it ploughs horribly. And takes years to correct the soil structure.

What depth does a plough usually go now? I know it varies, how long would you want to leave a field after sprayed off before ploughing? So people say a week others say 10 days

Does spreading dung make much of a difference?

good ploughing(all sods wells down) negates the need for spraying like disking does. Modern 20” inch ploughing in lay needs 9 inches of depth to turn proper sod in my heavy land which is disastrous in what’s turned up!

If you do plough get it rolled just before it dries out fully. Helps with the tillers afterwards when you flatten it down

If it was dry land would there be any need to go 9 inches, so would you get away ploughing 5 or 6 days after spraying?

So what would you recommend, plough, roll, harrow,spread fertilizer, sow and then roll? Would you spread lime before plough or after?

Would stones have to be picked before sowing or could this be done later?

You’d definitely get away without a real good kill from spraying if it’s well ploughed. I’m not too well versed with ploughing dry land but it does turn over a lot easier but would you get away with 7”? What are you turning up at that depth?

I would be turning up real fine dry black boggy soil,almost like powder or dust

• Advertisement

Be careful with that type of soil. For that type of ground my advice would be to spray off (you are getting late for that now tho) Disc maybe twice. Remove stones. Add lime and fert. Roll just before the powerharrow and roll again afterwards. That type of ground gets very wet or very dry easily so there is a possibility of the grass struggling if not much rain arrives after sowing hence why autumn would suit better than Spring so it will need a good solid seedbed. Consolidating the seedbed is the most common overlooked part of reseeding. It's becoming that much of an issue I'm starting to run a front press infront of the powerharrow.

Advertisement