Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moonfall (Roland Emmerich)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm beginning to think Emmerich might be working something out through his movies. I get the impression he'd love to see the world burn.

Can't see much difference between this and Independence Day 2 TBH; in fact I could have sworn the same cataclysm happened in that film too but no - it was a giant moon-sized alien spaceship wrecking the Earth.

Pity he insist on going so big; cos White House Down was a great "Die Hard in the White House" film that unfortunately lost out to Olympus Has Fallen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

@pixelburp I'm beginning to think Emmerich might be working something out through his movies. I get the impression he'd love to see the world burn.

It's the viewers who want to see the world burn. There's a cultural obsession with apocalyptic and dystopian narratives that borders heavily on fantasy and wish-fulfillment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course, and maybe CoVid might have dislodged some from this wishful, empty nihilism; but when a single director keeps making movies of this type ...? And never post apocalyptic, wallowing stuff - just the destruction. Directors have tells, but they're usually small visual motifs or a running theme. Emmerich's CV barely has variances, the motifs the entire visual canvas of his many apocalyptic movies. I say the guy is processing something 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’ll still make a **** load of money at the box office and be deemed a success for that.

so why shouldn’t he keep making that type of film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some directors do end up the equivalent of being typecast. They find a niche which they are good at and which everyone is throwing money at them to make more of. Like Michael Mann with crime movies or Fincher with serial killer movies, Emmerich’s name is associated with apocalyptic disaster movies and he would probably have a hard time getting funding for anything else.

• Advertisement

I never said he shouldn't? To be clear, I'm not psycho-analysing Ronald Emmerich😆🙄, it's just interesting just how typecast (as Sad Prof says) a director can become, be it through choice or that he just enjoys burning down the world.

To the film and trailer itself, it does look like just another late-Emmerich smashy smashy while Independence Day 2 was a flat, baggy film with none of the humanity his earlier work had going for it. Never saw Midway mind you. Cliché as they were, Independence Day had memorable, defined characters to root for. Even 2012 worked it's "divorced dad" story into the tale of mutated neutrinos 😆 while IMO White House Down was his best film in years, and the smallest scale.

Like Zemeckis, I wonder has Emmerich kinda lost himself in the FX of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So when is this out then and no I did not look at the trailer as that would ruin the film?

I like the name if it not because its a disaster movie but it has a cool name.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I love this genre.

Interstellar this is not; but I'm in.

Another trailer has dropped;

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. that definitely gererated a bit more hype in me than the first trailer. Not sure about those... swarm things? .. they might be a bit much if they are the big bad and get overdone.

Something feels better aligned in the trailer though for sure.

• Advertisement

I thought it was just a simple "moon gets too close" disaster flick but all the black goo whizzing around looks like Emmerich is really diving into full Sci-Fi territory (not that 2012 and its "mutating neutrinos" was a pillar of scientific versimilitude)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not an Iron Sky reboot then lol , they really know how to return to the well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I think I'd have preferred something like an asteroid knocking the moon off course (insert movie maths in here) to whatever alien agency is controlling the moon. Not sure I'll be able to accept whatever motive for sloooooowly destroying the earth they come up with.

And nice to see Samwell Tarly made it out of Westeros!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I bet cinema makers wish they were back in the 70's when you premise a whole show off of nuclear waste exploding sending the moon off to explore the galaxy and no questions would be asked lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 84,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Patrick Wilson was Chris Pratt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe Skyfall gave him the germ: "What if it wasn't the whole sky, just the moon"

It's on airplane mode! 😁

This looks like solid leave-brain-at-door fun! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yup - big bag of popcorn, cgi laden, no critical thinking and enjoy the ride - looking forward to it

I'm not immune to Emmerich's charms but ye gods that comic sidekick character looks like it might kill the enjoyment if the self-aware commentary is that constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well that looks awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm on board.

Statue of Liberty better be on its side in the Hudson Bay though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not even going to waste energy going in-depth on something this utterly terrible, but it's bad - incredibly bad.

The only saving grace maybe is that with a few friends it's kinda leaning into "so bad it's good" territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looks very generic to me. Trailer did nothing for me. Too many silly jokes, references to the internet and nothing that stood out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

My first thought when I saw the trailer was I wonder how much China money is in this? Turns out quite a lot.

Hale Berry's choice of films is worse then her taste in men. Oh snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is this as bad as Independence Day 2? That was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say it's about on par quality wise, though I hated ID2 far more because it was the sequel to such an iconic classic and as such I had somewhat reasonable expectations....that were crushed flat.

Moonfall, expected little to nothing, absolutely got little to nothing. Not a big deal, no great surprise.

Emmerich made Midway recently enough, while not good exactly, is at least competent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It generated a fun Mark Kermode rant at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I think I've seen the worst film ever made and it's name is "Moonfall". This is truly awful. Halle Berry has proven in the past that she can actually act and patrick wilson is always great. But not even patrick wilson can salvage anything worthwhile from this. I've never been so painfully aware that I was watching people act. The dialogue is horrendous and the explanation for it all is comical. Do not under any circumstances pay money to see this.

• Advertisement

Kermodes phrasing of "radioactively stupid" is rather marvellous. While I haven't seen this yet I feel like I've already seen siblings with Emmerich's recent work and the above is a perfect encapsulation of his style.

Advertisement