Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 teens get 10 years for murdering their friend (Koskela, Finland)

Options
  • 03-09-2021 3:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The 3 teens on trial for the Koskela murder were sentenced to 10, 9 and 8 years respectively for beating their friend to death last December. They, and the victim, were all 16 years old at the time.

This is such a horrible case on so many levels. They knew the victim since they were little kids but bullied and tormented him because he was quiet and didn't have many friends. They had been violent to him before and they had attacked him several times over the summer before the murder, but he kept going back to hang out with them because he wanted their acceptance.

On Friday December 4th they were drinking on the grounds of the Koskela hospital in Helsinki celebrating one of the boys birthday and, after forcing the victim to drink a bottle of vodka, spent several hours beating him, hitting him with a metal bar and choking him. When a passerby saw them and asked what was going on they told her to go away then they dragged him to another part of the hospital grounds and continued beating him and filming it on their phones, by this time he was so drunk from the vodka he could no longer put his arms up to defend himself.

They left him at 11pm that night and didn't get any help for him, he died a few hours later. Over the weekend 2 of them went back and found him dead. They went home and researched evidence disposal online.

His body was discovered by construction workers on the Monday and when an investigation was launched one of the boys confessed to his mother, who called the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koskela_teen_murder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Some people really are just sick f**king psychos.

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

The prosecutor wanted harsher sentences - the maximum minors can get for murder is 12 years. This will go to high court most likely.

They'll only serve a third of the sentence before getting out on parole anyway.

The main upset of the story has been that they were all "just local kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I just read about this horrible murder on the RTÉ website. It has made me feel so sick to my stomach that young boys are capable of this disgusting crime. My son is 16 too and I can’t imagine what that poor child endured before his terrible death. While reading this all I could think was that they should never again see the light of day and then I read on and see that they have the chance to go back to court and ask for lighter sentences when the most they’ve been sentenced is 10 years. That really beggars belief after what they did. May the poor child Rest In Peace.

Horrible crime, really heartless little gurriers.

There was a murder in Finland in the 1960s, at Lake Bodom, people still talk about it there today, two 15 year old girls and one 18 year old guy stabbed and beaten to death.

this has probably brought back memories of that for people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reminds me of the Anna Kriegel case as someone just trying to fit in and made to suffer from it. There really are some horrible people in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yes, it reminds me of that too. The perpetrators seem mainly concerned with avoiding responsibility too. What a horrible, lonely death the poor victim had.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I wonder how the witness that did nothing feels about their actions now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So they were actually convicted of murder? Sounds more like manslaughter to me given the obvious lack of planning that went into it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The sad thing these cases are becoming common ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes, manslaughter. Quoted from the middle link in the op,

"The boys were convicted of charges including manslaughter committed by a minor, as well as other crimes including assault and robbery committed by a minor.

Since the defendants were minors at the time of the crime, the penalties were less severe than if they had been adults. The court said its sentencing was also influenced by the extent to which each of the defendants had taken part in the violence.

According to the court, the defendants must have known that it was likely the victim would die as a result of their actions.

The defendants are jointly obliged to pay the victim's parents 12,000 euro, each, for pain and suffering."

The robbery and additional assault charges related to incidents they had victimized him earlier in the year.

Texts on their phones showed they planned in advance to get him drunk and to assault him.

Investigators also found texts on their phones where they expressed remorse and shifted blame towards the older boy but the police believe they texted each other knowing these messages would be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very like the case in Dunleer where the dead boy was left to die after everyone went home.

Little bastards. 😡☹

I thought of poor Ana too, and a number of other cases where the victim had a learning difficulty and/or was very timid, but kept taking the abuse rather than have nobody to hang around with. 😢

Gemma Hayter, Lee Irving and Suzanne Capper in England, and John Melbourne Jnr in Arkansas.

In Britain the term "mate crime" has been coined for this kinda horror.

I’ll never understand why people chose to hang out with people who pick on them. I understand why you’d bully someone but not why you’d still want to spend time with them.

This is not meant as victim blaming, I just really struggle to understand it.

Because as said, they'd prefer that to being alone.

makes no sense to me.

but it doesn’t matter anyway now as the boy is dead. I was just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I know it's not a popular opinion, but when I see cases like this and that of poor Ana and the ridiculous sentences handed down to such individuals who torture and murder, I wish of a world where the punishment matches the crime. Get rid of them. Or have them live in such fear on a daily basis that they get rid of themselves.

The world would be a far better place without little scumbags like this. What's the alternative? A total drain on society for the rest of their days? Serving paltry sentences and re-offending like one of the little scumbags who killed Jamie Bulger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

No, they were convicted of murder (but as minors).

The original court decision is here (in Finnish, but I ran the first two paragraphs through Google translate)

"Press release: Helsinki District Court sentenced defendants to prison terms in Koskela murder case

The Helsinki District Court has sentenced three 16-year-old boys to 4 years of imprisonment for murder as a young person on 4 and 5 December 2020 and for various other crimes against the same plaintiff committed between 14 August and 20 November 2020.

The district court sentenced the most violent defendant to ten years of one-month and the other defendant to nine years of two-month prison sentences. The convict of the least violent defendant was sentenced to eight years and two months in prison."

---

Prison sentences in Finland are generally not very long - you can get "life", but it's common that the president grants armistice after 12 years, and it's highly unusual for anyone to serve over 20 years. As per the current conviction, these kids will be out of prison in 4 years (but that might still change in higher courts if it's appealed).

The law and legal system is very different in Finland then it is here in Ireland.

Are they?

I already referenced a murder in Finland in 1960, where a number of friends were murdered. Even though no-one has been found guilty, it is widely accepted it was their friend that did it.

these things always happened. Thankfully,they are fairly rare

Been a few cases in Europe ,a couple in the UK and lots of cases in the US (no surprises there )

• Advertisement

Couldn’t agree more. Whenever something happens people jump on the “this didn’t happen in my day” bandwagon.

of course it happened, it always did. But now we are reporting on it and it makes people uneasy because they wonder if their families are in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Very rare these type of horrible cases fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It says something that the value placed on life, the life of a young innocent kid that the perpetrators don’t even get convicted of murder firstly, given the prolonged, unprovoked and deliberate nature of the attack, it should have been murder..it was murder... secondly, before their thirtieth birthdays they will have the ability to be free and live a normality laden, happy life...

why is it in 2021, not only in Ireland it seems from this but more often then not here, the needs, health, wellbeing of criminals is placed before the needs wellbeing of society and the victims of violent crime. The fûck is wrong with the world...

the the idea and ideals of ‘justice ‘ are lacking, everywhere it seems.

@Strumms why is it in 2021, not only in Ireland it seems from this but more often then not here, the needs, health, wellbeing of criminals is placed before the needs wellbeing of society and the victims of violent crime. The fûck is wrong with the world.

For whatever reason our system see's the preparators as joint victims who need just as much care and attention actually they get more care and attention than the families of the actual victim's ,

And we have allowed a system to operate where judges are incapable of giving out harse sentences for violent crimes and repeat offenders

Should have got 30 years each

Firstly, not only do you not understand the law in Ireland, it's obvious you do not know the law or legislation or justice system in Finland. Which is fair enough, and understandable, it's not like Ireland.

There is no point saying 'it should have been murder ' because you think that in your head.

It's typical of posters on boards. Calling for sentences or capital punishment when they don't understand the first thing about the law.

I don’t have to know about the law. I do however know about justice which is what the law is supposed to enable.. This clearly isn’t it... a person gets set upon without cause or provocation, a prolonged physical attack, by multiple people they kill him...that’s murder.. murder is defined as an unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse....it’s the injustice system that chooses to ignore or twist this for their own aims.

Evidence is needed that it happened just as much in th'olden days if stating that as a fact.

Times do change. Social and cultural factors shape us. In the last 25 years it has of course been communications technology.

Yeah there has always been violence - it was more violent in certain contexts - but among children? That I don't know.

So what if people say they should have got harsher sentences. It's an understandable reaction. I'm more bothered by that poor poor lad being tortured to death.

• Advertisement

The law everywhere though simply needs to be a deterrent...

if here, just here as an example there were zero custodial sentences for say.. theft of a motor vehicle.... cars would be nicked in their hundreds every month...or hundreds more then are being nicked at present.

same for any crime, murder, etc....

Advertisement