Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I believe that's the case, there are often a lot of discharges on Mondays as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"...The past 18 months has largely been about ordinary folk NOT being seen to,or facilitated to question,ANYTHING to do with the Covid response topic..."

Hardly. About *0% of all forums and 90% is all abut questioning all of it. Its just a endless flow of everyone and their brother having an opinion on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

A professor on RTE tonight claiming, unchallenged, that 10% of Covid cases in children will become Long Covid.

Completely and utterly false, but let broadcast unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Apologies, don't know how to select a section of a quote...

Anyways, you are claiming that the sampling methodology of the ESRI is not representative. Quite the claim. What are you basing this on? Solely the fact that you/your family & friends don't agree with the poll results?

Gerry Killeen was at it at Easter time on Pravda saying basically every child was going to be wiped out if schools reopened.went unchallenged and still unchallenged by our so called media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

No Family,No Friends...just myself.

Thankfully one can still have a difference of opinion on these things without fear of arrest etc.....for now at least 😉

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

That's not a difference of opinion. That's published data vs opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

In order for what you're saying to be an "Opinion", you must have collected all relevant data, processed that data, and come to a reasonable conclusion.

If you haven't done this, and are just making statements based on nothing, then you don't have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I was listening the news this morning at the radio and heard this:

"If we continue to see a rise in Covid numbers over the next two or three weeks, I think we won't be in a position to ease restrictions any further, and that will have to wait another two or three weeks," Dr Favier said. "It's going to come down to our personal behaviours and what we do now." She said restriction easing may have to wait until schools, universities and third-level institutions reopen.

I was a bit schocked that she stated this as a fact as if this doctor was part of the government and was deciding anything about what the country will and will not do.

Obviously nothing scientific, no numbers of what is an acceptable rise or any scientific explanation or prediction, just a politic statement that this person has decided what will happen and what is the best for the country. The radio did not spend time explaining who they were interviewing, so all of a sudden there is a voice of someone who is not at the core of the decision making process that tells the country what will happen, no question asked. So you listen to the radio and take it as a fact, though it is just a single opinion.

• Advertisement

Slip of the tongue on her part. She knows she wields more power than elected officials, she just isn't meant to admit it, and will probably get a scolding for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Or maybe she is just giving her opinion as a Doctor? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

If you tell 6/7 sentences and that only one uses "I think" and the rest uses the future, it is an opinion that you state as a fact. Example: "It's not what people want to hear, but it is the safer thing to do so we don't face potentially having our hospital services overwhelmed." Is it told as an opinion opened to discussion and alternatives ?

Don't get me wrong, she is allowed to talk all she wants. It is up to the irish media to give them the importance they should have, which is close to zero in a "flash news" program. The news at the radio last ~1minute, there are plenty of facts and real fresh news that can be broadcasted, if they chose to broadcast an individual opinion they know what they do.

Might be easier to point out the few mainstream media journalists who are going against the grain.

Larissa Nolan in the Indo has frequently, when they let her, put out articles decrying the absolute absence of logic or common sense to any of the restrictions, the speed of lifting etc.

Ciara Kelly, although I would be in work by the time she's on, has frequently attracted the ire of the weirdos because of her frequent criticisms of policy, logic, our outlier status in Europe (and sure what would she know, she's only a doctor). In contrast her co host Shane Coleman is the biggest pro government afraid of his own shadow wet wipe I've had the misfortune to listen to. Another one who can't work out the difference between cases and hospitalisations.

I had reason to listen to her show in the car around March/ April for a few weeks, she gets a bit shrill and shouty but she makes excellent points that the bedwetters can't handle and usually organise a Twitter pile on over (back in April she was legitimately complaining that the government were promising us nothing about what would happen, in terms of freedoms, when we are all but fully vaccinated. Four months later and we are still at this pathetic juncture- not a single guarantee issued that we will ever return to full normality, still stuck on a semi open nightlife and an embarrassing capacity at sports/ live events, while in England they have been all but back to real life for a month as of today)

Post edited by crooked cockney villain on

"Having had Covid does give you reasonable protection from being infected again, but it’s not as good as the protection you get from being vaccinated. Immunity from vaccination lasts longer and is more robust to new variants. "

Re infection with Covid within 9 months is almost unheard of. Catching Covid while vaccinated is rare, but infinitely more likely. How does that one work?

"We also know that somewhere between 10 and 30 per cent of adults can end up with long Covid, even with mild initial illness."

Some estimates have it at between two to three times the amount of people who test positive actually get winged by Covid but never realise. 10 to 30 percent of people suffering long covid would mean one third to 100% of all of those who test positive would suffer long covid. How can this sort of absolute nonsense make it to print?

"Exactly how many children go on to develop long Covid with persistent symptoms is still being investigated, with different studies giving estimates ranging from 2 per cent to 8 per cent."

As low as 2, as high as 8, then the professor on RTE the other night decides to go with the higher figure, and round it up by a handy 25% to ten.

The amount of unchallenged misinformation out there about this is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Not hysteria per se but a quote from an RTE article today:

"An Assistant Professor of Architecture at UCD has said that the measures put in place in schools last year would not be enough to manage the Delta variant"

An assistant professor of architecture being quoted about the country's management of schools during a pandemic?

How is this person worthy of a quote on that topic?

Why not quote an assistant professor of engineering that thinks those measures will be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, clearly the architecture professor will be arguing for larger windows to be installed into the schools (it might be handy if they opened as well, but that's a problem for the engineering professor).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The architect knows how big the window can be without the wall falling down or how it affects the overall aesthetic of the structure etc.

The idea of them jumping across to an epidemiology opinion unquestioned and making statements on likely impacts of particular microbio evolutions is just pure radio amateur hour.

Or paid agendaist hour. Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The Irish media ramming up the fear today - Highest incidence rates in EU (what about our high vaccine uptake ?) .

Never-ending yo yo of good news one day, bad news (end of the world stuff) the next - is it any wonder the nations mental health is at an all time low. The idea of trying to live life, without never-ending constant fear, is really getting to me and many others. Next week the media will be wondering why are mental health is so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have recently moved from an apartment to a house where the TV is in full view from the driveway and have had to buy a TV licence for the first time in my life. This saddens me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not Covid related but still public health - today there is a prime example of how state agencies provide information to the media who then disseminate it to the general public. There was a problem with Gorey and Ballymore Eustace water treatment plants a few weeks ago. The EPA press release on the incidents mentions that 52 people became sick in Gorey but does not state that this was caused by the water treatment plant issues. Surprise surprise, this is exactly what the media has done. The EPA will have known that that is what would happen.

EPA press release

"At Gorey water treatment plant in County Wexford, an incident which arose from a power failure and a chlorine pump failure resulted in water leaving the plant and entering the public supply without the appropriate level of disinfection for approximately a five day period in August 2021 (19th-24th). This incident was not notified to the EPA and the HSE until the 26th August, preventing a timely risk assessment of the impact on drinking water quality and to allow interventions to be taken that could have protected public health. The HSE are investigating a public health outbreak in the Gorey area. To date there has been 52 confirmed cases of illness associated with this outbreak, including VTEC, with a number of associated hospitalisations"

Irish Times

"Mr O’Brien was informed of the incidents by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) which said in the case of the plant serving Gorey, the failures had caused illnesses in the local population"

If there is actual proof that 52 people became ill from consuming this water I presume some of those affected will take legal action against Irish Water and Wexford County Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Can't comment on Kelly as i gave in listening to Newstalk many moons ago because of Coleman. I'm convinced he's some sort of government plant call me mad but a few Newstalkers have gone on to work for FG's PR department when they left the station. Coincidence i think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

The whole TV licence thing is weird. We moved into a brand new house 12 years ago and around 2 weeks after that an inspector came knocking on the door asking about the licence to which i replied we don't have a TV as we've just moved in. No bother he say's and i haven't heard anything since but others get hounded regularly by them despite not paying either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

From hearing O"Brien's comments on the radio this evening it seems that the problem was that Irish Water were not informed early enough of the issues in Gorey (he didn't say by whom...the Council?) And therefore the problem became bigger than it should have, as Irish Water would have had the engineering expertise to rectify the issue early before it turned into this mess.

Advertisement