Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you saw a vehicle being driven by an underage person, would you report them to the Gardaí?

• 01-09-2021 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

If you saw a vehicle being driven by an underage person, would you report them to the Gardaí? 96 votes

Yes
    68%
    jimmycrackcormCalhoun20/20JupiterKidpoisonatedStrummsdotsmanfitzgeseVarikphily2002Mrs OBumbleartanevillaDogtanian07Riddle101chiefwiggummailforkevirelandrover[Deleted User]G_Rfryup 66 votes
    No
    31%
    WossackuchpappyodanielPotential-Monkemickdwchosen1Shorty69664moomanSVI40Speak NowDempo1Raffo69jeff binghamconndealHello 2D Person Below_BriangetoutahereMorris MossMEGA BRO WOLF 5000Deregos. 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yes

If they're joyriding and speeding around then sure. An underage driver with no driving experience is as dangerous as a drunk driver if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No

Ah sure they're only kids,

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

You need another option as most would get their phone out and probably record the incident to share it on their social media of choice - for likes and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes

Yes but what is badly needed is for it to be a criminal offence to sell a car to someone under 18. I can sell a car to someone under 18 with no insurance, licence, no driving experience, all legally/

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Yes

If they are a mature 11 year old I don't see why I would be reporting them to the Guards. Don't be a tell tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No

Meh, someone else will do it. Couldn't be arsed getting involved in the investigation, I've done enough of them to last me a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes

I'm guessing if I am able to tell that they are underage, then they are fairly young or else I knew them. In both instances I would report them.

I wouldn't want to hear something happened in the papers the next day, especially if I had seen them, thought about it and then decided not to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You can drive a car legally at 17.

It's an offence to sell a car to someone under 17.

No

You sure? I can't find any legislation, just 2 articles from mothers of deceased children looking for it to be introduced, one from 2003 and one from June 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes

Yes, but I would report a monkey driving a motorboat too, then again, if the monkey was rocking a nifty and stylish hat like little Francis here, no, couldn’t bring myself to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Children are driving vehicles everyday and no one is reporting them, electric scooters are Motor Propelled Vehicles which require tax/insurance/licence and a motorcycle helmet. They are going past Gardaì and they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Section 30, Road Traffic Act, 2004

(1) A person shall not supply a mechanically propelled vehicle—

(a) to a person who is under the age of 16 years, or

(b) other than a mechanically propelled vehicle in respect of which a person who has attained the age of 16 years is entitled to hold a driving licence to drive, to a person who is under the age of 17 years.

Bike 16, car 17 as per licencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes

I stand corrected, didn't know this, it was in the media recently that sales should be banned to those under 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

No

No. The guards aren't going to bother dealing with a call like this.

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No

Would they have their ID blown up and sellotaped to one of the windows of the vehicle?? Or would I have a carbon dating machine to see what age they were??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yes

it's hard to tell who's underage these days, some fourteen year old's look like 20 year olds and vice versa😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Yes

That's a bit how the Gardaí see it aswell I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

If the monkey was in open water with no other boats around, I don't see the harm in it. However if it was causing havoc on the Shannon or something I would definitely report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Yes

Similar here, I would report it so that I wouldn’t have it on my conscious if something happened to the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

No

I know somebody who was behind a car being driven erratically on either a busy road or motorway. He became concerned that the driver might cause an accident so he rang the guards. The guard on the phone couldn't have been less interested if they tried. They had no interest in finding out any details about the car or its current whereabouts. They probably get crank calls all day and so, are immune to genuine calls. Or they just couldn't be arsed leaving the station. You decide. Either way, it goes to show how pointless reporting somebody like this is in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes

Yes, if it would prevent something like this happening.

I note that no one interviewed was asking wtaf a 14 yo was driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Yes

Absolutely yes. Grand, the guards will likely not do anything but what if you didnt report it and you found out the next day that they had crashed and killed / maimed themselves or even worse, someone else, an innocent third party or child? Irish people seem to have a deeply ingrained "turn a blind eye" attitude, its the reason scumbag nonce priests, teachers and sports coaches got away with some much for so long. Just because doing the right thing doesnt always result in the right thing happening, there is no excuse imo for not doing it.

No

I agree. But I also know there are plenty others who also agree who will ring. I know this, because when I was a Garda, something like this would result in about 20 calls. So when you ring and report it, and you get a "yeah, yeah, we'll get to it" kinda response, and they didn't take any details, it's possible that you're not the first and they already have the details, and need to get you off the phone so they can radio an available car about it. If such a thing existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yes

The driving age is 17 last time i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yes

Yes.

I don't see this trend happening too often in my locality. But if some young people in the community act like a ignorant dick while they're out on a public road. The parents wouldn't be too happy seeing their little angles being given the humilation of sent home by the Guards at their own front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

"So when you ring and report it, and you get a "yeah, yeah, we'll get to it" kinda response, and they didn't take any details, it's possible that you're not the first and they already have the details"

Could the Garda answering not just say ""Yeah, yeah, we are already looking into that" so that the concerned citizen could be assured that something was happening to prevent any accident? The attitude that you mention doesn't inspire confidence, leaving the caller thinking "What's the point?".

I see a few farmer kids driving tractors on the roads, I’ve no idea how old they are, but some of them look like they are 14/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yes

If I saw someone I was 100% was too young then yes, but it's hard to judge age sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

No

Define vehicle.

A car or van or something like that - yes.

Or as defined by the ludicrous laws of the country, some ebikes, electric scooters, skateboards etc - no.

• Advertisement

No

They could, and indeed that's how me and most other Gardai I know used to answer it. But shur, a perfect world will never exist.

Advertisement