Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light switch has reversed itself

• 02-09-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking for advice please.

Family bathroom has one light switch and also one switch for a fan above it. When the fan switch is in the on position the fan will come on when we turn on the light in the bathroom. It's always worked just fine.

It's not a situation in a landing or something where there may be two light switches at different locations. There is just one light switch and one fan switch.

So anyway, standing there this morning baby beside me jumping around on the landing and the light flickers and goes on in the bathroom even though the switch is at the typical off position.

Scatched my head and flipped the switch the other way and light goes off even though the switch is now in the typical on position. It has completely reversed itself.

Turned off the power, opened socket up and inspected the wires. Everything looks grand. Made sure everything was connected firmly. Power back on and again the light is still only coming on when the switch is in the typical off position.

Power off again, and I just roatated the light switch fitting and screwed it back in to the wall. Now the switch is back to going on in the correct position. The fan is coming on when the light is on, so happy days.

Question is what has happened here? It's a new build. Wired only three years ago. Also I assume it's ok I rotated the socket face ? There was enough room and flexibility to do so, so I didn't see the harm and now the switch is working the right way again.

Lastly, should I replace the whole light switch if there may be an issue? I am I ok to just leave it now?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Anyone else thinking a neutral must have come loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Light switches can drive !!??? 😲

sorry - couldnt resist. 😀

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Turning the switch face plate upside down has not fixed an electrical fault issue. The switch now looks like it is operating correctly in mechanical orientation, but electrically, you still know it is not right.

A connection somewhere must be loose and was moved by the vibration of the baby jumping. If I were you, I would get it checked out to find out where that fault is located. It could be a potential spark/fire hazard.

A question OP - what does the back of the wall-switch look like in terms of wire-counts per switch for the fan and light? Is it two or three wires into each switch (or two and an interconnected loop between both)?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭pj12332

Hi guys photos attached of the inside if the switch. Is it possible that something came loose from someone jumping on the landing?

Post edited by pj12332 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Definitely get a sparks to look at that

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

It's a switch, not a socket. 😛

Does the switch feel loose at all? Might be worth having it replaced and the rest of the circuit checked out.

Terrible workmanship on that installation, I can see 4 things wrong with it, none of which would cause the problem you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Out of interest what are the 4 issues you see?

Anthony Neville new builds continue to give us surprise after surprise. Sure I know nothing about electric work but anyone can tell that the workmanship is shi*e

Ha ye switch sorry. And what's the issues ha I may as well learn something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Does the switch feel mechanically sound, like not rattly inside?

In it's working position now, is the single terminal/single wire (com) to top or bottom?

Agreed on wiring. Raw pvc with no mechanical protection through metal knockout is real sickener for me.

I'd say that something was already loose, it just became noticeable when the jumping happened.

I see two clear issues, but I'm not an electrician. :)

1, Exposed conductors. 2, No grommets on the wall box knockouts.

I'd also comment that the wiring is excessively lengthy for a single box and prone to be caught behind the cover-screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

1. Exposed conductor.
    2. No grommet.
    3. Outer insulation not present outside of enclosure.
    4. Unused lugs not bent back.

Ok, No.4 is a bit pedantic, but when you see such a bad installation, it's worth pointing out every issue. Each of these issues are minor, but when you put them all together, it increases chances of an unsafe condition and/or a fault occurring, particularly when the switch is removed and replaced by an unqualified and inexperienced person. I'm not having a go at the OP here, he's well within his rights to remove and replace a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭John.G

Looks like single wire going to com and the bunch of wires to L1?.

Advertisement