Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vigil (BBC)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

Enjoyed the first two episodes. Jones is great.

Anything submarine focussed floats my boat - Love Das Boot too, first two seasons were excellent.

Is the angry looking guy in the camp too obvious as a suspect?

😇😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

He may be in the frame alright and more likely be working against the cause rather than for it.

Is Glover now a suspect? He seems way too helpful. Though now that he knows Silva's weaknesses, he's in a better position to try and control what happens to her and her investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Loving this so far I have to say can't wait for episode 3

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Great show with great acting. Plenty of twists ahead I imagine. Great setting on a submarine, bad cgi aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’ve enjoyed it too, possibly more than I thought. Hopefully it doesn’t go off reservation ridiculous like the bodyguard, which didn’t start too badly but became a bit of a mess. I l8ke the tension between the Police and the Navy and the tug of war between their differing priorities. My guess is that there will be some scandal discovered by the cops, but the Navy will pull rank politically and it’ll be covered up ultimately (at least that’s the way I’d write it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

For those questioning the look of the interior of the submarine Channel 5 has a new series called "Submarine: Life Under the Waves" starting on Monday 13th September.

Submarine: Life Under the Sea follows the crew of nuclear-powered HMS Trenchant as they set sail on 120 days of tense and dangerous underwater operations. For the first time ever, the top-secret world of the hunter-killer submarine will be revealed as we explore how the crew of 100 men survive underwater for so long in cramped and confined spaces. At depths of over 400m in the North Atlantic, HMS Trenchant must deal with engine fires, poisonous air and food shortages as they’re tasked with defending the British Trident nuclear deterrent from Russian nuclear submarines, and gathering secret intelligence off the coastline of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Was there not already a series on the inside , operations of a Nuclear sub last year on channel 5 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm trying to work out if it was filmed on a sub, or did the recreate a sub, or filmed in some industrial setting, disused factory or power plant maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Talisman

Wait for the Range Rover with blacked out windows to show up - that's the giveaway that the show has entered the realm of Bodyguard/Line of Duty nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'll forgive a blacked out range rover but never, ever, ever if James Nesbitt turns up 😊, I'm still traumatised from wasting 4 hours of my life watching the worst pile of Gik ever produced or broadcast "Bloodlands"

I just watched the second episode and my thoughts are that it's going down the route of a MI5/MOD cleaning house operation.

• Craig Burke was poisoned and the body wasn't returned as requested by the police.
    • Prentice had been assigned to Vigil to keep things under wraps, he knew about the security threat posed by Burke's girlfriend so did his superiors.
    • The Lt. Commander attempted to have Kirsten detained after searching Burke's quarters at the base.
    • Silva's house was broken into by balaclava men - Kirsten must have been under surveillance.
    • Jade was spotted meeting with Kirsten by an older guy who didn't look anything like a crusty conspiracy Santa type.
    • She was murdered when going to meet a man who was supposedly going to tell her everything.

It's a decent drama so far. I think the most interesting aspect will be Amy Silva's back story.

I've seen enough of submarine movies/series to know that if there was a murder then the murderer is in the galley! Glover is too obvious as a 'twist'. The Trident submarines were introduced around 30 years ago so it could just be a case of the boat showing signs of age. Burke was exposed to something due to negligence. The petty officer not detecting the tanker and the nuclear reactor shutdown are other possible indicators that the onboard systems are not up to scratch. There have been a few things mentioned in dialogue that suggest that Vigil has experienced more than its fair share of issues in the past.

Funky a little generous when discribing a Travel Lodge 😁

Here we go 😊

Just occurred to me, wasn't there a lake death scene in Line of Duty and Bloodlands 🤔🤔

Hmmm, not sure about that episode, the flash backs rather annoying. Captain looking decidedly dodgy.

Sub showing signs of age🤔 looks more like a pretty dreadful attempt to make a set look like a submarine, it's shockingly bad and even more obvious in tonight's episode, it looks like a non discript basement.

It looks like the Range Rover is no longer the only vehicile of choice for the suspicious types in these series. When the MI5 people left the police office they drove a Range Rover. Kirsten was tailed by them in a BMW, that has to be explained.

I hope it picks up because the third episode was disappointing. As a whodunnit story it's no longer that interesting, they revealed too much.

Silva's back story is resolved so if every message received from Kirsten is to be a hook for another flashback it's really poor.

I'm also disappointed that my suspicion about the age of the submarine being a factor in the story line was correct. I got a chuckle out of the revelation that it was a USS Los Angeles class submarine that was responsible for the sinking of the trawler. I used to play The Hunt For Red October and 688 Attack Sub video games as a teenager so I know that the Los Angeles class submarine pre-dates Trident. It's a 'noisy' boat so if Vigil couldn't detect it then their equipment is definitely fecked. It would have been more realistic if they had said it was a Gotland class submarine because those are almost undetectable, but I guess then they would have to factor the Swedes into the story line.

• Advertisement

@Talisman unfortunately yep 😂

Watched it and I will stick with it, but I did find myself checking the time a few times. Its a real shame because its a clever idea, which held a lot of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

not a bad show - kind of hard to take the captain seriously if you've seen Peep show.

why did the detective drive to the roof of a car park to evade the jeep chasing her. Was she thinking 'I'll just box myself in up there, then once I'm in the quietest spot possible I'll get out unarmed and confront them'

As for the nuclear sub being manned by a bunch of drunks in Florida - bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyed the first two episodes but after the third episode it seems it's going down the trope of people doing stupid things to create a scene - like why the hell drive into a car park to evade someone following you and seems to be twisting characters motives around to try and create suspense

Most of the episode I found quite boring and the claustrophobia thing feels a bit pushed and no reason for it in the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I agree with all bar the car park thing, She wasn't trying to evade them to be fair, she was expecting backup, in a multi storey they can easily cover all the exits preventing the BMW from escaping

3rd episode a little bit of an anti climax, the flash backs getting a little tiresome. Story line getting a little silly, drunken sailors running a nucular submarine, a sailor confined to quarters (still with keys to the weapons cabinet) and brandishing a weapon, Captain's competency in question, hence presence of Prentice and really difficult to take the character seriously. Also hard to take Rose Leslie character seriously.

Certainly wasn't up periscope for me, quite a let down actually and the death in the lake scene all to familiar (line of duty)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't trust Glover

• Registered Users Posts: 81,046 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's gone a little all over the place tonight, turned in to a lesbian love story of sorts, what in the jaysus that has to do with a submercible investigation below the sea is beyond me.

I think that the purpose of Silva's flashback sequences was to highlight her withdrawal symptoms of her anti-depressant medication. Normally a person would be weaned off of their medication, but she's going cold turkey. Kirsten's flashback sequence served to show that Silva wasn't hallucinating there being a relationship between them.

In the scene in the canteen, the cook told the other female crew member "I found out this morning, he's getting out ...". I thought it was established in the first episode that while on patrol the crew don't have any personal correspondences.

I'm only half watching the show at this point.

Post edited by Talisman on

Completely agree, it's become totally disjointed, jumping from flashbacks, to a quite unbelievable police investigation on shore to an even more unbelievable story line on the actual Sub.

It's become quite silly.

• Advertisement

Thank you Dempo, Talisman and Atlantic. I forgot to watch it last night, so I tuned in here just after 2300 to read nothing!

Reading your three views now pretty confirmed where I thought it was going.

Pity because it was an unusual idea in a sea of reality tv.

Advertisement