Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

1272829303133»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Congratulations! Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together. 🥂🍾

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Thanks very much HildaOgdenx!

@woodchuck, that's a bit longer than I had but not outlandish, mine recommended 45 mins per person. We started at 8.30 for leaving the house at 1.30 and had loads of time for five of us to be done, and the hairdresser actually fitted in an extra blow-dry at that because of it being a Sunday and hairdressers were closed. Definitely no need for everyone to be there at 7.30 though, sure if your mam is going last she would be waiting around for hours. Mine did two of the bridesmaids first and they swapped between hair and makeup then so it was an hour and a half before the third person was needed for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

We had a similar start time of 8am for my wedding and my parents were late. I had kind of thought they would be but hoped I was wrong, especially since they were bringing breakfast. There was only 3 of us getting done, so the hair dresser started with me as planned and make up with my sister. They did arrive by the time my mum was needed for hair but it was a little bit stressful trying to get her organised to go up and wash her hair before my hair was done (she was just getting a blow dry) while trying to arrange to skype with my sister and niece who were abroad couldn't be there, eat something and be sure not to be rude to the hairdresser and make up artist. I would say the first 25 minutes after they arrived were stressful but then it all fell into place and ran smoothly.

So it turns out that no live music at receptions for August weddings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Crazy that you can't dance or have music,

Surley at this stage they could say if everyone vaccinated go ahead and have a normal wedding ,

Isn't that the whole point of vaccine to have normal life resume ,

• Advertisement

I know. Friends of ours are getting married next month and they have a magician booked. Are we allowed magicians? It's all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

probably depends on how sound the venue is. A lot of venues are keeping to guidelines until dinner is over but once that's over they are basically letting groups do what they want (minus having a live band) - so I'd say bring the magician in AFTER the meal is over, not during.

We definitely won't be having a magician. I'm more curious at how it seems one rule for some and a different rule for others.

ah ya its a shitshow. I hate the idea that I wont know how much we will be allowed do until we are literally there on the day!! We still have some hope that there will be further easing from start of September as ours is in middle of September. Going by last couple of months, where things were eased at start of June, start of July, and again at start of August, its certainly possible. I guess it all depends on how cases go in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

We getting married mid september after moving it twice last year so we could have all our family there.

I am fully certain be more than 100 allowed in september and there will be easing of a lot more restrictions too by then. But at end of day it doesnt matter, its one day in your whole life of marriage and its gone in a flash. I have talked to numerous couples who got married in last few months and all had a brillant time. Bands, DJ, late open, magicans etc do not make the wedding.

Just relax, enjoy the build up and your day and it will be brillant, all you family will be there, dont worry about litlrle things like music, seating, closing times etc.

We have trad band for arrival, regular band and dj etc booked and dont know if they be allowed yet but it is wot it is.

• Advertisement

Our friends wedding is before ours and will have some of the same guests. Because of their venue they will have more freedom and I'm worried our day will be compared negatively to theirs. People do notice things and I just want our guests to have a really great time. 80 people sitting around a room with Spotify in the background doesn't fill me with hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Music is now allowed outdoors!

@and in the morning Diamonds of Frost I wouldn’t worry about comparison at all! Your venue is absolutely stunning and all your guests will just be so delighted to see each other and have a day out I’m sure it will be a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's very quiet in here, I see the expected August 5th announcement didn't have very much relating to weddings. Does anyone expect restrictions around music or late bars etc to be loosened soon?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They did say they'd have a PLAN for restarting the live music etc around the end of August. It's very hard to know what approach they'll take though, especially coming into the Autumn. This delta variant has screwed up everything! At least the vaccines still seem effective against it though.

And surely, at SOME point, things are going to have to go back to normal. Or as close to normal as possible. You'd imagine that'd be linked to vaccine update and hospital numbers. You'd imagine the end is in sight. But our healthcare system is overwhelmed at the best of times, so I honestly don't know...

you'd have to imagine by the next announcement they will remove most restrictions from early/mid September for weddings, e.g. late bar, table size limit. Only one that 'might' last until into October might be the Live music, not for any logical reason mind, just coz government seem to have a fear of live music for no obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Congrats to everyone getting married and hope it goes great.

I'm going to one next weekend, any quick guide to the rules now anywhere? Is there time limits or anything? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Assuming it's indoors so a limit of 6 per table, no live music and no late bars even if you're staying in the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Thanks, sounds a bit grim.

Parties back in the rooms I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

It really depends on the venue, I've heard of at least one allowing a band, we had a Spotify playlist and tables moved back for dancing. The tables of six thing and mixing between tables seems to vary hugely as well. You still have a bar so it's a bit more like a night out in a pub but I think parties in the rooms would be grimmer tbh.

• Advertisement

I think it definitely depends on the venue. Our venue isn't limiting the number at each table and they're aware that people will be mingling between tables. We're allowed a DJ and dancing. We need to finish up at 11.30pm, but that doesn't really bother me. We're just starting things a little earlier than usual! I'm not one for the late nights.

I've heard of "strict" venues that say they won't allow live music, DJ or dancing. But they'll allow Spotify. So in reality, music is playing and people do get up to dance - it's a difficult one to police!

Great news on the music and dancing @woodchuck !

Yes, a much better outcome than I would've expected! A friend is having her wedding reception in November, so she should be able to have a restriction-free wedding :) (after a last minute rescheduling of the legal bit and much smaller celebration in March 2020, and a couple more postponements since then...).

For my own wedding, the only remaining restriction that will have any impact on us is the 11.30pm curfew. But it's not a deal breaker for us. We're just starting the day earlier! So there'll still be plenty of time for music and dancing after dinner :)

Post edited by woodchuck on

How are you feeling about the wedding these days? I know you mentioned before about your parents being reluctant and not being excited etc. Have they come around? You’re so close now! Are you all set and ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Just on the 11:30 curfew, I was out in Dublin twice trying to get home at this time, and getting a taxi was like Christmas years ago - we were about 45 mins walking and hailing every taxi we saw. I suppose understandable as everything closes at the same time, but it was a bit mad, and other friends have commented on finding the same. Not sure what you can do about that, but maybe something to consider.

PS: the taxi app was just showing as ‘high demand in your area’ or something like that - and no driver accepted the job

Yeah my parents really changed their tune once they got fully vaccinated! So they're actually coming for the whole day now (my mother even came to the hen party!). My sister is only coming for the morning prep, but I think that's for the best to be honest (she'd just make everything about her and her anxieties if she was there). My brother can't come, because he's in Canada and the flights have become prohibitively expensive. So that's a shame, but it was never guarenteed that he'd make it, even before the pandemic.

It's starting to get very real anyway! We're confident enough at this stage that there shouldn't be a government announcement the night before to pull the rug out from under us. So we just need to try and keep ourselves healthy in the run up. There's always that fear that we'll wake up on the morning with a cough or fever :/ We still have some in person appointments that are unavoidable, but doing our best to keep them to a minimum.

We're absolutely up to our eyes trying to sort out all the final details. And I'm worrying about things like wedding favours, that I swore we never needed :P Nice normal things to be worrying about though!!

Eek, I wouldn't have thought of that. We're getting married in Dublin, but not in the city centre and it's a Sunday... so hopefully there won't be as many people looking for taxis at 11.30pm on a Sunday evening :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

It was a Friday and a Saturday when we were out. There didn’t even seem to be all that many people out tbh, but it was just like years and years ago - not a taxi to be had! Ask around though, to see if others have had the same experience

Maybe say it to the venue, to see if they could look after you with bookings with a taxi company?

Advertisement