Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 US Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Why does Murray always moan so much. Very good player and have a lot of respect for him but he is constantly moaning and its a real turn off. I get that Tsistipas was taking the mick a bit with the breaks but surely Murray is experienced to know to expect this type of stuff, he has been on tour for over 15 years!

Lets be honest, most players do this type of gamesmanship with taking breaks between sets, it happens all the time. Do i think its right? no I dont but its within the rules of the game so I dont get why the opponent doesnt just suck it up and get on with it. Use it as an extra incentive to go on and win if you are that annoyed. People often criticise Djokovic for taking breaks but look at the French open semi final this year, Nadal took a break at an important stage in that key match and Djokovic just got on with it.

I just dont get why the likes of Murray get caught out by this stuff, it happens with so many players all of the time. This is not something new. Its up to the powers that be to make the changes, players need to just get on with it.

On a separate note, great to see Bautista Agut absolutely destroy Kyrgios in straight sets. no doubt Nick ready to make his usual excuses, courts fault or the umpires fault

Yes, too much pearl-clutching in general and selective-player accusative commentary on this issue and indeed lack of mental fortitude from some players on their perceived plight when another player goes off as if it's the first time they've seen such a thing or never done it themselves

As said, the tennis authorities need to go at the rules if change is deemed needed

Murray's incessant ranting had kicked off initially blaming himself and death-staring up his own at "team" for not prophesising that he might get sweaty in general and sweaty feet specifically in warm and humid conditions and not have a second pair of runners with him to change into.

Cue melodramatics pulling out the insoles and tipping his runners upside down as if literal streams of sweat were going to pour out of them

It really served to distract himself at the key moment of the second-set tiebreak when he should have taken the set at 6-4 in the breaker and on-serve

Tsitsipas taking a break just gave him something else to focus his rant on and the on-court fffing and blinding it descended to at the end said more about him than anyone else

Murray is still going at it!

Quite impressive how he managed to misspell such a short name as Bezos too.

Of course he must have forgotten about the time when.....

Andy Murray credits toilet pep talk for US Open victory

"I was very negative in my own mind at the end of the fourth set at the US Open. My self-belief was pretty low."

Murray retreated to the sanctuary of the lavatory cubicle near the players' entrance to Arthur Ashe Stadium. "When you walk out of the stadium there is a cubicle on the right-hand side," Murray explained. "It is small, not much more than a toilet, a sink and a mirror. I was thinking: 'Why do I keep losing these finals? Do I lack something? How on earth did I squander a two-set lead?'

"I could not go back on to the court feeling like that. I would have lost the deciding set before the first ball was hit.

"I never talk to myself, not out loud. Isn't that supposed to be the first sign of madness? That is why that toilet break was so unusual. I stood in front of the mirror with sweat dripping down my face and I knew I had to change what was going on inside.

"So I started talking. Out loud. 'You are not losing this match,' I said to myself. 'You are not losing this match.' I started out a little tentative but my voice got louder. 'You are not going to let this one slip. This is your time.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That's a fúcking pathetic tweet by Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Oh Christ, not another **** spaniard....

jesus, I don't care about him right now but no doubt the media here will make me hate him when he gets to the top ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This 18 year old Dane will remember this game regardless of the outcome and with no line judges Djokovic can’t hit any of them this time. Also, having Daniela Hantuchova as part of the Amazon prime coverage is a good call.

This isn't going to take very long.

Hopefully the young lad gets a few games in.

Holger Vitus Nodskov Rune - longest name in the draw?

Well a 26 minute first set to Novak. This won’t last very long though.

Petra kvitova is through to the second round which is nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

He's broken Djokovic to love 2nd game in the 2nd set

And gone on to hold his own to love.

3-0 up now.

Djokovic avoids the bagel.

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement

Weird from Djokovic letting that set go when back in charge.

Reminds me of the Zverev match in the Olympics.

Seemed to go flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No real stand out matches today, all seem straightforward wins for seeds. Wonder what sort of reception Tsitsipas will get from the crowd tonight when he heads off on his toilet break.

Might take a look at Alacaraz from 1600 Irish time

If he manages to win against Rinderknech then Tsitsipas next

Now very unlikely that he'd be able to win a match against Tsitsipas but could be interesting to see where he is at versus a top 5 player even though he's so young (in relative terms for the men's game)

Alcaraz just came back from 3-6 down in the first set breaker to take it

Some bottle and maturity of play from him for someone who has just turned 18

And Alcaraz takes it in 4.

Does have some room for improvement but a very solid all-around game (quality of volleying needs a bit of work) and with a pretty special forehand.

Will be interesting to see how much of a match he can give Tsitsipas assuming Tsitsipas wins his match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Interested to watch Shapovalov in this major. Has the game to be the best, if he's strong mentally. Very powerful groundstrokes consistently.

This generation is missing a Lleyton Hewitt, not necessarily in talent, but a gung ho attitude to take it to the old guard. Hewitt did that brilliantly. No young player seems to have that will, fight or grit, like Hewitt did breaking through.

Then again maybe just aren't as good as Hewitt was. We forget and underestimate just how good he was at a young age, before niggling injuries, and later big injuries, slowed his game down.

Since on the topic, I'd argue that there's a case to argue Hewitt was the most natural tennis player ever from a technical standpoint. His game was so relatively weak and lacking power, relied heavily on movement and slight of wrist, to compensate. Few players with better intuition or feel for the game

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I was watching Schwartzman v Anderson in the Louis Armstrong stadium last night - bizarre scenes as the match was halted due to rain, the court has a roof!!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/58417080

World number 66 Sloane Stephens beats world 23 Cori (real name) Gauff 6-4, 6-2 in 66 minutes

Even though she has progressed maybe not as remarkable a story anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

She doesn't look like she'll fulfill the potential some people believed she had, some seemed to think she'd take over from Serena immediately. Even at 17 she's probably already financially secure for life, which does tend to blunt the hunger of young sportspeople and a lot start to take things easier and their talent for granted. She's still young enough to become a serious contender at slam level, but it's not guaranteed that she will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sloane in round 2 is a nasty draw.

She has had an ok year and if you look at who she lost to in slams this year no real bums. Svitolina, Krejkova, Kerber and now Sloane.

Very ballsy to write her off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

That Murray toilet break in the 2012 USO final is not really relevant to the Tsitsipas discussion IMHO. It was after 4 gruelling hours of play, and it's not as if Murray has any real history of taking long toilet breaks to upset the rhythm of his opponent. Also, I reckon he kept on chuntering about Tsitsipas on Monday to keep himself fired up.

Anyway ...

Emma Raducanu is into the 3rd round, after beating Zhang Shuai of China 6-2 6-4. If anything, it should have been easier than that. Zhang beat her in San Jose a few weeks ago, but it seems Raducanu is learning quickly. Very soon, she'll be direct into the slam main draws, no qualifying or wild cards needed. In fact, if she beats Sara Sorribes-Tormo in the next round, she would be just about in the top 100 after the USO. That's quite a big if though. The winner of that match would likely play Barty in round 4.

So far, no top 20 seed in the women's singles has lost, although Brady (# 15) withdrew before the tournament started, giving Raducanu an easier first round match against a lucky loser.

maybe not hugely but it's an interesting aside

Murray didn't specify if he took a dump in 2012 or just went for a tactical peptalk 😆

Catherine Whitaker (you might see her on Amazon or on the Tennis podcast with her lapdog David Law) was quoting that other pearl-clutcher extraordinaire Annabel Croft (who wouldn't know the second week of a grand slam if it landed on her head) who apparently said that all toilet breaks should be cut /banned.

Whitaker then said that this would be ok if it was for men, but not for women.

Have men got some special "hold it in" power for maybe 5 hours plus over 5 sets that women don't have over max 3 sets?

Whitaker is some spa in fairness and actually knows very little about the game at all aside from waffling on about her guessed / perceived emotional states of various players as if they were talking on the phone every night for hours or something. Have never heard her make a good point about actual tennis tactics or technique.

Saw a bit of the Reilly Opelka / Musetti match earlier

Opelka can actually hit a ball decently well outside of his obvious strength the serve

Took out Musetti in 3 sets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not writing her off at all, just saying there were some unrealistic expectations put on her by some who seemed to think she was Serena 2.0 and was going to dominate women's tennis instantly, as I said she's still young enough to have a great career, but, she still has a bit to go.

Karatsev vs Thompson is down to the fifth set

You couldn't get a more Russian-looking Russian vs a more Aussie Aussie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Apologies may have misread you.

I think yeah their is seriously unfair expectations on her when she is so young. The Serena comparisons are insane as Serena is an all time great.

If I had to make a prediction for Gauff she may win a few slams and plenty elsewhere which will mean she has had a great career, but looking at how much depth their is when looking at young girls coming through that might be her absolute ceiling.

Djokovic looks "on it" tonight.

Would be surprised if it goes beyond 3.

Very smart shot selection and intelligent movement.

Serve is flying also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Zverev didn't waste much time getting through to the next round also.

Advertisement