Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Local Radio (WLR)

• 26-08-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I caught the end of the breakfast programme this morning and it seems that Ollie Carroll and Mary O'Neill are finishing up. What a pity, the two of them were a great mix in the mornings over the past number of years. Is one of them leaving the station or are they moving to new programmes. Who will be the new presenter(s) in the mornings. If it is not there choice to end the slot it's a pity that WLR chiefs are breaking up a duo that work. It seems they like to change the most popular programmes or move presenters every so often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

didn't realize that, that's a shame.

only caught the show after today, Damian Tiernan is it? never heard someone so defensive when talking about their own county this morning, like he is on the govt and councils payroll. guys suggesting stuff to make waterford better. "where will we get the money from" "why should we do that" etc. blood was boiling listening to it, we've just slumped into a hole of acceptance as to what waterford gets given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Are they still going!?!?! Ah the usual will happen with WLR, they will switch the afternoon presenter to the morning and just move around the same people to different slots like always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Same with Beat. Saw that Beat Breakfast with Niall and Vinny was finishing last week. So I thought, oh that's great - an actual youth station is going to give someone new a chance to take on breakfast after 15 years. Then a few days later, it's announced Beat Breakfast with Niall and Shonagh. Amazingly he keeps himself in the job while others who've been on that station before needed to move to other channels to get a decent slot in radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Niall Power is instititionalised by now and wouldnt be able to do anything else, im very surprised Vinny moved on. It was embarrasing anyway, the 2 of them over 40 and they giggling like teenagers every morning, shows a real lack of vision on part of management. Beat is a terrible station anyway, nobody really rates it. Ever hear the news bulletins? My God, a dog could do better. Stuttering, clumsy 19yr olds tripping over their words, getting basic facts wrong and clearing their throat every 2 seconds!

Vinny and Aoibhin are now on the breakfast show..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Ollie Carroll is going to the afternoon show. Will there be any more changes? Best of luck to Vinny he has big boots to fill.....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭niallo76

Where's the bauld Mary going??is it Ollie on his own in the afternoon????

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Very interesting moves.

I would imagine it's a very different demographic listening to WLR compared to Beat at that time of the morning.

Will he need to adapt to an older listener or are WLR going after a new demographic.

He will need to adapt..As you say different demographic,WLR wont be in competition with Beat...When presenters get too old for Beat,they go next door..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

That Niall power is just unbearable. The only person more irritating than him on local radio is Damien Tiernan.

vinny might be ok with a chance on wlr.

genuine question who actually listens to any program on beat?!

• Advertisement

You would be surprised. The same logic could apply to who the hell eats McDonalds or who still goes to nightclubs after 30?! There are a lot of people out there, mostly under 30 i guess, who still tune into Beat and enter the competitions and actually enjoy listening to the same 3 songs on a loop over and over.

As i said, i blame management for how pathetically stale and predictable the station has become. They should have turfed Niall and Vinny out of it years ago, the Breakfast Show was actually a bit of a laugh the first few years but its had its day.

Tuned in this morning to hear the new show..same name,same content,same music,just new voices.

For some reason,I'm always hoping that wlr would have a show that would be fresh and a joy to listen to .but I suppose I'm being unfair and in fairness that's not WLR's schtick and I don't listen to it everyday..bit it seems that new shows that herald fresh music just don't get the listeners,so they tend to die a death after a couple of months.but again I'm being probably unfair...and I'm comparing it to a radio station with bigger budgets,RTE,BBC radio 6.

It's just when you listen to John Creedon,John Kelly etc..they just love music

My main gripe has always been that it seems that a lot of presenters on WLR just don't seem to care that much about music!!

Am I being harsh,or is it politics or budgeting reasons behind the lack of ambition on WLR.

I

Post edited by niallo76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭nomoedoe

If your username is to do with your date of birth then you are way outside their target audience ,I agree Niall is unbearable he should of gone from breakfast years ago and another young presenter given the chance I suspect that’s what Vinny was thinking its just embarrassing at this stage listening to Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Thought Trish was far worse IMO

I enjoy listenin to Darren and Pete, prob the best on the show

The presenters on WLR would have no choice in what music is played.Its the same with all the local radio stations,which is why they all sound the same these days..The one thing about WLR is, the seem to hold on to their presenters,although they do change them around a bit..Radio in this country is going the way english radio is,lots of stations already owned by one group.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

I like a lot of the wlr presenters, there’s an authenticity about most of them - bar the above two mentioned. One is beat and other an RTÉ reject! So I think my point is reasonably well made.

I find the beat presenters generally fake - or maybe I’m just old!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Mary has moved into the back ground doing journalism for wlr.the new morning show is desperate without Ollie and mary.its like listening to beat FM morning show.if I wanted that,id turn over to beat.bad move and a bit lazy on wlr part

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

And the Beat Breakfast show is gone terrible, didnt think I'd switch back to Dermot and Dave so quickly, but alas.

Think Beat need to stop trying to be the Spin1038/Red FM of the south east and have their own identity

Is the morning show still just adverts and the presenters talking about whatever survey made the news that morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They stopped putting up some of the playback shows on Spotify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Are WLR after a different demographic with a while. I know they have lost listeners right left and centre, but I guess the JNLR figures will show otherwise. They must be the most disputed figures in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Aoibhin Fallon to be fair is good at the job when she is on her own, or with the right co-presenter. She did well with Timmy Ryan when they were on Breakfast over 10 years ago. She had a very good late night show (I think 10 to midnight) for a while, where she had a laugh with those that text in. Then someone got the idea of recording it during the day and putting it out in the same time slot, but there was no listener reaction which ruined the show. They then replaced it with John O'Shea for a while before DT had a re-run of his show 12 hours earlier. I wonder how many listen to the re-run. When it goes out Live(ish) {there is so much of it pre-recorded its crazy} it can be hard enough to listen to. Only one voice matters on the show, the Presenters, followed by that of David Cullinane.

Did Vinny have to leave Beat for this job? I know the 2 stations are in the same building but i presume they are different companies with different contracts of employment?

Mark Morrison must make a fortune from WLR- it must be policy that 'Return of the Mack' has to be played everyday!!😥🤣

only god can judge me-only WLR will pay me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There she goes gets played everyday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cant listen to the channel at all, just not for me

and D:reams...'things can only get better'...sadly not the case for the playlist on WLR😂

Did Liz Reddy just vanish into thin air?? She was on the show about 30 years and there hasnt been a peep about her for the past couple of years, very very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭nomoedoe

I see Aoibhin and Vinny finished on the breakfast show this morning ,they didn’t last long!,whos taking over now anyone know?

• Advertisement

If they do their usual then they will just switch someone from the afternoon to that slot and then swap them back in a while.

Advertisement