Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cattle knocking down ditches

• 29-08-2021 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have an electric fence around the external boundary fence and I had good internal fences which were all stcock proof (no wire on internal fences)

However this year, for some reason the cattle keep going into the internal ditches and burying in and making holes and breaking the fence in and breaking into the next field. This never happened in previous years, anyone else experience this - what would be the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s prob the same 1 or 2. When cattle figure out how to do something they usually keep repeating the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Belongamick

No young bull in the mix by any chance. Had a few last year, young bull included, and nothing would suit only to dig a hole and start fighting around it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have a bull calf this year that nothing will keep him where he should be, electric fence doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest, never happened like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

no young bull, I would say the majority are bucket reared, I bought them in as stores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had a saler x cow that used be the same- took no notice of the fence. Someone here suggested a chain around her neck for a few days- the fencer worked then and she kept clear then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Also heard. cut the sides of a meal bag , drape over the electric fence meal side out. Haven't tried it but believe it works better on a damp day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Very difficult to stop cattle going through ditches if there isn't wire in them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

If they came from a farm that was free range, very hard to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Once they learn something it’s hard broken.

years ago we had a cow that would put her head under barbed wire and lift to see if wire pulled off posts or posts lifted, she would slip under fence then. She had to go, it was becoming torture and she was bringing her calves with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Have any of them got horns? they are hard to hold. As said before it sounds like you have one or two thieves in the herd this year. Some of them can be right feckers, they'd find an exit out of Mount Joy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement