Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Great weekend thanks mate. Made best of the weather and the kids had a blast. Is always nice to go somewhere else, even if it is only down the road. Eat out for lunch & dinner and only had breakfast in the house so nice not having to cook and clean up for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Good week in the gym. Food was ok during the week. Weekend not so much. Lost what I put on last week but was hoping for more. Must do my measurements again soon

25 Weeks: -6.4lbs

Week 26: -1.2lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭DvB

So jealous of you guys with the consistent losses... Still killing myself for little return.

Did come within a whisker of my 5k record last night though... so the fitness levels are definitely improving thankfully.

Have moved up on the weights too this week, added 10kg across the board for my reps. Arms and chest feeling that this morning... ouch.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Haha, I feel your pain. I made the mistake of asking my trainer to put up weights on a couple of machines last night. He stung me for 7KG between the 2 of them 😓

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

Week 7: -3lbs

Week 8: +2.5lbs

No surprise here, was away on a little hotel break from Sunday-Tuesday, had some pints, some wine, some lovely food, can't complain. No doubt my WI yesterday included some bloat/water retention. Burnt 830kcals at the gym session yesterday and 650kcals this morning so off to a good start this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im off the wagon completely, late nights, bad food and booze

Haven't been able to get to the gym as much this week, only been on Tuesday so far, no chance tonight as I'll be at the match so it'll have to be Friday & Saturday sessions to make up the 3 minimum I ned to stay on programme... I'll be out Saturday at a family gathering with my in laws so pints will be had on top of dinner so some hard decisions ahead... that or a lot of hard work!!

Funnily enough, despite the weight not shifting on the scales my Mrs told me I've definitely trimmed off some of the love handles (it dpes feel like it too) and that my upper body looks a little more toned... so maybe I need to stop worrying about the scales a little.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

830 cals in one session - that's some workout Loughc - well done 🤗

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That was my PT session. The trainer is a beast!!

Forgot my watch for the gym this evening. I was so annoyed I nearly turned around to go home when I realised 🙈😆

• Advertisement

I did that on Wednesday and was in the pool before I realised. If you have an iPhone you can enter the workout through Apple health - if its a regular workout you will have a rough idea of the calories.

Thanks for that. It actually appears on the watch data after you do that too. I thought it would just be saved to the phone. Good to know although I hope it doesn’t happen again 🙈

Anyone else see a discrepancy between the machines in the gym (i.e. treadmill, crosstrainer, rowing machine etc) and the fitbits for calorie consumption?

For treadmill running I discount 20% of what the machine tells me as I know its not accurate (I generally run at a 2 degree incline to make up for the fact its not road running too) but the cross trainer tells me I'm burning far less than what the fitbit is.

I err on the side of caution & use the lower reading each time when logging sessions in my spreadsheets though. Interested to see what other folk think though.

I reckon its somewhere in between. The machines will calculate calories burned directly from energy/force exerted. That won't take into consideration a persons weight/height, etc which all have a bearing on cals burned. On the other hand then the watches probably do have your current weight stored to use in their calculations (mine anyway because my scales logs to apple health) but they seem to calculate based on your heartrate and I think they overestimate your burn

I don't think it really matters which you decide to follow to be honest, I'll always look to the higher calculation on my watch 😝 The main thing for me is that I improve/maintain my burn and if that's reducing then I need to increase my resistances

Similar, as long as I'm maintaining or increasing the calories burnt or the time it takes to do it I'm more or less happy. Just noticed the discrepancy recently though as I forgot to put my towel over the treadmill display.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Went back to SW after nearly a month away from it due to my housemate being in hospital and then me being away. Ate crap during that time, and was 7.5lb up 😱😱😱

Back on it properly from today!!

It is amazing how easy it is to put weight back on - yet so difficult to lose. I lost 5 stone last year but when i was weighed in end of June i had miraculously found 2 of them again. Been working hard at losing them but it's so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I agree!! In fairness it could have been worse with all the crap I had been eating. Heading away again at the Oct mid-term so would like to lose a stone by then.

A mixed bag, I had booze every day the last few days, though I did play a round of golf in ridiculous temperature and got to the gym twice. Loads of food though.

Between work and my wife's family being home from the UK ive not made it to the gym much and with me eating all the food and drinking all the drink I'm not expecting anything but a gain this weekend... too afraid to get on the scales yet though!!

• Advertisement

It’s nice to know that we’re all human 😆 I always think it’s better to know even if I’m not prepared to rectify anything just yet

Ended up double downing & having take away pizza yesterday... naughty DvB!! Can feel the difference in my work trousers this morning as they're definitely feeling tighter... not a good sign!!

Anyway, with the weekend frivolities out of the way the hard works starts again today, have the gym gear with me in the car & will be heading there straight from work... minimum burn of 1000 cals (& planning for 4 of them this week) & a much stricter diet will hopefully sort that weekend of indulgence out 😀

You’re an animal. I’d be taken out in a body bag if I burned 1000cals 🥵

that'll be running (600 cals minimum), cross trainer (250 - brings out the sweat by the bucket) & rowing (the real killer for me... have felt like passing out once or twice after a hard session on that one) will do the weights in there as well... (not legs after that much cardio though)

The key will be diet, cut out the cr*p and watch my portion sizes... do that & i'll consider it a good week.

Will need to bite the bullet and get my arm looked at though. Have been having problems for about 3 months now, tweaked it playing hurling & assumed it was a minor muscle injury that would need rest, but it feels more like a nerve thing, I have no issues lifting weights etc but it can get very stiff very quickly, and it feels like I've badly banged my funny bone constantly... have been avoiding getting it looked at what with the hospital situation these days but its not getting any better and can be quite uncomfortable... not an emergency so didn't fancy a silly wait in casualty to get it looked at.

Tomorrow (01 Sept) last year I started from 95kg and after 3.5 months got to 77kg. I need to do that again, as I sit hungover in the office after a day on it and take aways.

I rolled off the plane for week 1 at 90.4kg

Week 2: 89.7kg - -0.7kg/1.54lbs

Week 3: Missed weigh in

Week 4: 90.4 kg +0.7kg/1.54lbs

DVB defo get an mri, hope you are on the mend soon

I know it's not exactly close to you however the Sport Clinic in Santry are good for sports injuries and it covered under your health insurance. You make an appointment (or certainly you were able to when I last had to use it) so no waiting around.

You've done it once so know what's entailed to do it again.

You have a lot going on so don't be too hard on yourself.

I had a client coming to the office today so I decided to put on my best suit, sadly I couldnt get the trousers to close.

• Advertisement

That's a good call, must give them a call.

Had some session in the gym last night, ended up doing just over 1000 cals on the cardio... the sweat coming off me was leaving puddles... so ended up giving the weights a miss, there's no way I'd have managed anything worthwhile after 80 minutes of cardio. Have the kids hurling training session this evening so will try & get down after that & do a lighter cardio & weights session... determined now to keep at it, even if it kills me!!

Advertisement