Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Insurance

• 22-05-2019 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Is it possible to insure a farm in the republic with an insurance company from Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

Rather than start a new discussion - has any one any recommendations for Farm Insurance, either broker or direct options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We're with axa for the last few years. Got our renewal quote yesterday. Up a 100 from last year, that will be easily taken off when paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Zurich were competitive for us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

AXA seems to be targeting the smaller farmer. FBD must have dropped 50 %++ if there farm business over the last 5+years. Heard they are mad trying to build up share in the car insurance side at present.

I say AXA and Zurich will be the most competitive. AXA quote online but ring you after your quote to confirm details and will reconfigure the price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What cover would u need for a tractor and dumptrailer for contracting, etc

• Advertisement

I imagine you would have to state it on the tractor and farm policy. A lot of insurance like that is priced on turnover. It basically getting a hire and reward clause activated on the tractor policy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

Ah here lads what's the story with the mad increases in Farm/House Insurance this year.

Currently with AXA here and got quote this week which is up €600 on last years premium. Have already tried FBD and they were within €50of AXA so not worth switching. I'm going to try Zurich also but wondering is there anyone else worth pricing, Britton's perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭leoch

Mines up over 400 also from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Tileman

zurich were the same as axa for me and fbd were more expensive. Shocking increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Dunedin

(Wife) Had a small tip on car. Got quote of €600 to fix it. Then I thought of insurance and said why not put it through there.

told insurance Co I wanted to get the job done with that crowd and they said no bother and I sent them on the quote I got from them. Small excess to pay but still better off getting them done via insurance as I have bonus protection.

moving on insurance contacts my crowd and agrees price of €1200 to get the job done.

ffs what a rip off and explains the increase in premiums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it’s because the cost of rebuilding a house has gone up massively in the last couple of years. AFAIK banks won’t entertain a mortgage application with a cost per square foot building cost under €200.

If you had to make a claim off the house insurance recently they are telling you that you are under insured by 50%. So the premiums are going up to reflect the higher building costs.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭massey 265

Its important to your have house insured at up to date rebuilding cost as for instance if one had a chimney fire claim and house under insured by 20% then chimney fire claim would be reduced by 20% to reflect underinsurance of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭amacca

My house isn't on the farm insurance and its still gone up, same with rebuilding sheds I assume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Stupid question - can you insure a tractor for the road without insuring the whole farm?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yes you can. Fbd do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's like car insurance doesn't have to be linked to a farm.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

AXA quoted me €700 to insure a €40000 tractor on its own.

Not sure how relevant the tractors value is

The lesson is not to have 40k tractors. That a 1.75% cost.

FI is due mid April.

2X tractor value 35k approx comprehensive

Home 450K

Old farm house ( rental) 150k

Shed 120 k

Hay shed 15k

Container 2k

Stock 110k

Land 135 acres

Meal bin + contents 4k

Silage 5k

Farm labour 4k

Family labour 2

General machinery 20k

Probably 1-2 things I cannot remember.

Quote is 2.1k, I will let you know how I get on

Slava Ukrainii

I don’t want to know anyone’s business but does the premium go up much the following year if you make a claim?

Is it comparable to car insurance in that regard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement