Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robert F Kennedy assassin granted parole after 53 years

Options
  • 28-08-2021 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading that Sirhan Sirhan, the man who shot and killed RFK in 1968 is on his way to being parolled.

https://news.sky.com/story/robert-f-kennedys-killer-sirhan-sirhan-granted-parole-after-two-of-rfks-sons-say-they-support-his-release-12392706

In two minds about this; not sure how much good it would do keeping him locked up until he dies (he's 77 now), but another part of me thinks he should serve life for taking a life. Kennedy's death almost certainly changed the political landscape of America for decades to come, however his own children support his freedom, so I suppose one can't argue much with that.

I do wonder how different the US would be today had Kennedy won the Presidency though, would the Vietnam war have ended earlier? Would he have beaten Nixon? Thanks to Sirhan, we'll never know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Never a Jack Ruby around when you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Seems like a sweet old man, he's served his time, let him enjoy the short few years he has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I saw a documentary years ago which suggested there was a bit of a “Manchurian Candidate” vibe to the RFK assassination. The fact that Sirhan claims not to remember the shooting is strange, if he’s telling the truth. Does seem a bit coincidental that both Kennedy’s were allegedly taken out by lone nut assassins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

His claim that he can't remember smells of bullshit. He's just another sociopath loser like Mark Chapman who wanted to be famous.

One of the Kennedy sons supports his release so that's enough for me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Absolute disgrace that Robert Kennedy's children are supporting the parole of the man that killed their father.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

In fairness, only two of them are. The other six are very much against it and have written to the California parole board stating such:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a bit odd, a few years back Paul Schrade who was also shot in the attack claims or is adamant that Sirhan wasn’t the gunman.

he has led a long held belief that the state of Israel could have been responsible... for both RFK and JFK murders.

I would never ever support the release of someone who murdered a member of my family.

53 years is some stint in jail all the same......if he is unlikely to ever reoffend,what purpose deos it pose keeping him locked up?

keeping this lad, who is already beyond average life expectancy for males in the US,in jail,passes beyond justicefor victim into retribution terriotory imo and that only serves to further interests of the loudest/most vocal & not whats best for society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

In Ireland he'd be out in what? 10 to 14 years?

53 years seems long enough to take from him, leaving him a few years at 77 now. As long as they have deemed he is no longer a risk, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

He wasn't a mass murderer nor did he kill children. He's served an adequate amount of time to pay for what he did. Let him out under parole and limited freedom.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

More stupid bollocks about the Irish justice system designed to whip people into a frenzy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically, reading from reports at the time there was a deep sense of shock at all societal levels. The assassination contributed to much of the chaos and social upheaval that America experienced. While it is vanishing small that Kennedy's murderer will re-offend, the harm that was done from the lost opportunities and hope still reverberates in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think who was murdered (famous politician, musician, whoever) should come into the equation.

If, applying their own regulations and evaluations, he is eligible for parole and he is deemed no longer a risk, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think people should be talking as if this is a done deal. It still has to be approved by the full parole board and the governor of california has the power to overrule any decision to release. The man should be left to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

What purpose does it serve to keep him locked up?

Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I don't really see why he should be left in jail, he's an old man now that killed one person and has spent 50 years in jail, if they release him they could lock up for a proper sentence someone much more likely to re-offend. Those young girls that killed the Uber driver in Washington DC while robbing his car won't ever see the inside of a jail cell for example.

Or is it only because of who he killed that it matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Imagine being a 77 year old man knowing you're still stuck in prison for something you did when you were 24. You'd be raging at your younger self.

53 years in prison, over twice his age when he committed the crime.

• Advertisement

nothing to do with who he killed. he committed a premeditated murder. If it was my father I wouldn't want the murderer to see the light of day again. Life should mean life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one question i'd have would be how would he be expected to cope with life outside prison, after over 50 years?

i've seen 'the shawshank redemption' so know all about the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Isn't there fairly credible forensic evidence that the shot that killed Kennedy was from behind? It has always struck me as very odd case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Mixed feelings. Do not believe in capital punishment in any case. He was serving life after court ruling reduced sentence from death. Social status of victim should not be a factor. Mitigating factors in the commission of the crime may apply in some cases, but I do not see any here. Consequently, l would not be in favor of his release on parole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

There is limited space in the prison system even in the USA, and I gave the example of those girls that killed the Uber driver? His death doesn't matter a day in jail? I know much younger but sure I could find other examples of short US sentences since they seem to have gone much softer the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have no problem with the 'Life should mean life' argument, but in this particular jurisdiction it doesn't always mean that - there are conditions under which a person can be released.

If his legal team can convince the relevant people that he meets those conditions, then I don't have an issue with it tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I asked a question, which if you know the answer, you could have simple said so with the accusations?

So I looked into a bit more and found this published in the Irish media below, about life sentences (my not all be for murder per say, but must be something almost as bad)

Yes it's more than 14 years in my question, but no where near 53 years and has been as low as 11 years for life sentences in the past.

So not sure where your getting , stupid, and trying to whip up anything by having a discussion and some questions?

"The average jail time served by prisoners sentenced to life who were released from custody in 2019 was 20 years, up from around 18 years in 2018 and 2017, new figures show.

The shortest amount of time a ‘lifer’ released last year served was 14 years and the longest was 28 years, according to the Parole Board.

Its annual report for 2019 shows that the jail time released ‘lifers’ have served has fluctuated over the last two decades, from a low of 11 years in 2002 and a high of 22 years in 2012 and 2016"

So because somebody else didn't get the jail time they deserved Sirhan Sirhan should be released? What sort of stupid thing is that to say?

• Advertisement

28 years is not the longest served by a lifer in Ireland. John shaw is still locked up after 45 years and will never be released. The only way he is leaving prison is in a wooden box.

Advertisement