Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 3 series - worst car ever owned

• 27-08-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a 2010 bmw 3 series m-sport 7 months ago. I know nothing about cars but assumed bmw were good since every second car on the road is a bmw! Anyway left it in for service was told back shocks gone ok. Got fixed month later back shock on passenger side went again mechanic fixed it for free obviously. Then month after that alloy cracked got fixed. Then I had to get back shock mountings done did. Month later water pump went. So changed that and bullies and belts.. month later front shocks went and back 2 alloys cracked and ball bearings went fixed them all. Then back alloy cracked again (different place all the time) had nct this Sunday got 2 new tyres fitted and the turbo went today! €700 to fix €500 last month. I've spend nearly €2000 since I bought it! Only 7 months ago Its crippling me! There is 300,000 k on clock. When I think nothing else can possibly go wrong it does...

Apart from burning it anybody any suggestions? Or similar problems?

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's an 11 year old car with very high mileage, it's worn out. I presume it was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

11 year old BMW needing new shocks & springs is not a surprise with 300K on the clock.

Presume you have model with 19" alloys as you bought the car for the looks as you know nothing about cars as you admit.

If you did your research, you would easily find that the E90 19" 225M alloys are notorious for cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

300k km is the end for a lot of cars, it's nearly 200k miles.

If not the end of the car it's deffo a time for replacement of plenty of bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

€6500 going rate. Why would I be researching wheels of a car? Unfortunately we cant all afford new cars. There was nothing wrong with car at time of purchase only back shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

BMW.....Also known as BM trouble you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't have a bmw now but had plenty over the years (3 x 3 series and 3 x 5 series) and had very little trouble with any of them. Some were in around 10 years old when I had them but none had that mileage. I wouldn't buy a car with that much on the clock, I'd just buy a fresher example of a cheaper brand. No real right to expect trouble free ownership at that stage.

It could have had a tough life and not looked after too.

It's only 186,000 miles my last car 09 passat had 350,000 miles had it for 8 yrs and only the last year I had to do clutch & fly wheel. Nothing else major really

It's a 11 year old car that's only 17,000 miles a year for a diesel that's not high.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having owned several BMWs over the years, not one of them was been a source of cost above routine wear and tear.

If you buy a high mileage car on the cheap like the OP seems to have done then expect problems but just because it is a BMW does not mean it will be trouble!

How is it high mile though its average for year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Any sort of decent research will tell you the common trouble spots on most cars. Unfortunately with some makes especially BMW we buy them for love of the cars not our bank accounts. Most BMW owners have been there, don't get disheartened. But it does sound like you should do a little more homework on the next one.

At the risk of a lecture.

I started with a 10 year old 320i that broke my heart and wallet.

+2yrs later Gearbox eventually went so got scrappage (great deal, 2k for a car that barely drove and 3k purchase contribution) on a demo 1er. Spent similar amount monthly since cheaper tax, fuel, and no repairs and servicing was all in.

+3yrs later When PCP was up traded up to current 3er.. costs me more than a Kia Rio sure, but it also has a soul. I spend so much time in it that I haven't looked back.

tl;dr.. having owned 3, I'm guessing it takes 4 attempts at BMW ownership to make a sensible financial decision on one. 😂

Offload it if possible for something a little newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd had a 2014 F30, it was always giving some kind of trouble be it sensors,modules,seals, suspension parts and a host of other things. Was doing all the work myself and always got what it needed but it was spending too much time on the lift for my liking. Got rid of it for an A6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

300,000 k on clock, what the hell did you expect. It was always going to be a money pit, its your fault not the cars fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Without being a smart arse 300000km is high millage even tough it maybe average for its age.

That's 186,000 miles I don't consider that to high considering my 09 passat had 350,000 miles before any big trouble. It is a diesel after all.

My next car will be an A6 if I ever get this one nct'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Any BMW over 10 years old requires constant maintenance, seems to be the magic mark for them - you had better be able to work on them yourself 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 51,101 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mileage is not the only yard stick for measuring wear or reliability especially on an 11 year old car. That car could have had a hard life or had a lack of maintenance over the years from numerous owners and now your paying the price for that. Your Passat was good to you but there are plenty of them out there that were just as troublesome as your current car. I had a Passat CC at one time that developed an oil leak in the gearbox that resulted in it needing to be replaced along with the clutch and flywheel at 3 years old and only 65k km so no car is impervious to being unreliable at any age or mileage.

Sounds to me like you bought a dog though. Mechanic should have recommended replacing the shocks in pairs on the same axel rather than one at a time. Cracked alloy wheels are a very common problem on that model if just researching common problems rather than having to search specifically about it. Water pumps are classed as a wear and tear item and they tend to fail eventually. Turbo could have failed for any number of reasons which needs to be investigated.

Hi baz, I did get shocks done in pairs. But one of the back ones was faulty so had to be done again. I know you can get bad cars and I obviously got one. I just cant go a month without something going wrong. Everyone is telling me to sell it when fixed but I'm after fixing most things at this stage I don't know what to do! But I am afraid to keep it in case something else goes! It drives great when everything is working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have an E36 since 2005. I went thru hell between 2007 and 2010 (approx 150K miles on it then) with a load of issues but on the far side of that, its been relatively ok. I wonder if that's indicative of cars in general. In that 3 year period I went thru new brake lines, 2 rear wheel bearings, a burst coolant pipe, the gearbox died, vanos rattle (1200eu fix), cat converter needed replacement & the usual wears.

• Advertisement

Did you keep it or have you still got it? I'm in limbo at the moment as I am after spending €2000 on it the last month. I still have to get it Nct'd. Theres not much else that can go wrong ( famous last words!). Done all shocks, brakes, ball bearings, water pump & pullies and now turbo and I'm keeping a eye on crank shaft. Its after setting me back big time. Where I was hoping once nct'd, to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭micks_address

im sure the car wasn't a 'bad' one when new... trouble with any car that age and mileage is wear and tear.. and service history... who knows how it lived before you got your hands on it. its probably a little unfair to judge all bmw 3 series as worst car ever owned when its particular to your experience. From my limited experience with cars ive found anything over 5 years thats been driven a fair bit even with good service history is going to start giving various unpredictable problems.. if you wanted a car with less issues within your budget you should probably have went for something a little more boring.. lower mileage honda or something.. its quite hard to get a sporty car on low budget with high miles that will be trouble free.. the fact that its an m-sport means its more likely to have been driven harder... you don't buy an m-sport for sunday afternoon lazy slow drives

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

Next time you change look at a Lexus GS as well as an A6. Might be hard to source, but if you want an older car that won’t give you trouble, Lexus is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You spent 6.5k on a car that likely cost near seven times that brand new. I think a 320 Msport started at 35k.

Have an E60 with 250k km on the clock.

In my time I've replaced all the rad hoses, water pump, replaced front shocks and springs, front wishbone, brake pads and disks, battery, fixed oil leak (all BMWs leak oil)

this is just part and parcel of owning a "performance" car. Msports are likely driven a bit harder than the standard version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd definitely agree that that on average, M Sport car tend to be driven harder than non-M Sport versions. Bigger wheels/smaller tyres will absolutely cause faster suspension wear, wheel bearings to wear quicker, and as you've seen, more likely to damage an alloy.

For any car in a given range, eg: 3 Series, C-Class and A4, it's all the same Tier 1 suppliers for electrical connectors, brakes, turbos, shocks, ECU's, water pumps, belts, etc.

With the exception of well known design issues (eg: BMW timing chain), the rest is really just down to it's past life and a little bit of luck on a second hard car.

The A4 (being FWD) is probably a bit easier on the likes of rear end consumables and psychologically it's not so bad to replace 2 front tyres at a time, when in the BMW all 4 need to be done at once (albeit less often).

Not to sound like a complete smart arse either, but milage is cumulative, you can't just average out over lots of years and get a low figure.

Im sure not all BMW's are the same some of my family swear by them and I know most things is wear and tear was mainly just venting! I had my Passat for 8 years 350,000 miles on it and started to have lots of problems replaced nearly everything and then sold it. In hinge site probably should of kept it. I was hoping to buy a car up in the years next summer when I have my loan paid of but all these issues are set that back.

What are peoples opinions would you hang on? or get rid? when I get nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd sell and get something else, unless you're doing the maintenance yourself.

Mine has never gone into a garage, I've done all the work in the driveway, so I'm just paying parts cost. I've changed more on parts than the OP, and I'm nowhere near 2k (unless we're counting cost of tyres, I'm on my third set)

It's the classic "reliable, performance, cheap" triangle. Pick two. OP picked performance and cheap. Probably better to pick reliable and cheap, and buy a Toyota.

It wasn't cheap though! that was the going rate for that year and car it was actually dearer then the standard 3 series and what I had in my budget.

If there was nothing wrong with it at time of purchase, then surely you must accept that anything that has gone wrong since is entirely your fault, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭listermint

186,000 miles is high. If you agree with it or not , at that age most cars would have had multiple changes of suspension components. And the water pump would be definitely done or done even twice in some cases.

Your list to me just looks like conventional maintenance that is expected at high mileage. Unless it was done prior to your purchase and you checked those items were not original. I.e the service book or receipts then you should maybe have moved on to the next car that had them done.

Advertisement