Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fermentation stuck, or finished?

• 26-08-2021 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi

I started a Brewferm Belgian Wit kit on the 9th August.

Added 1Kg of Wheat Spraymalt instead of sugar.

SG was 1056.

Expected FG with sugar is 1005 according to the instructions but expecting it to be higher due to using spraymalt.

After 7 days, SG was 1018.

Due to work commitments I'm only getting back to it today, day 17, and SG is still 1018 so looks like no further fermentation took place since last reading.

Is the higher than expected SG due to the use of wheat spraymalt?

Or is it possible the fermentation is stuck?

At this point, do I just bottle or should I try to restart fermentation, and if so, how?

Brew tastes good, not very sweet so suggests alot of the sugar is gone.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It does seem high but there could be any number of reasons for that. Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching?

You could gently rouse the yeast from the bottom with a sanitised paddle and give it another week, but my instinct is that it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Didn't rehydrate the yeast, just pitched straight in at around 23°C if I remember correctly.

It's still giving just under 5% at that so I think I'll just bottle it and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If kit yeast has been lying around a while it can be less than optimally efficient. Rehydrating is one way to get it moving before you pitch.

Advertisement