Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will this coming Winter's rolling power-cuts change your BEV driving?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We have two back up generators, they are plane jet engines with 24/7 Applegreen contract to keep them topped up given they can burn through full tankers a day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

we are almost completely reliant on electricity for heating and cooking so I would not be amused. But we still have a diesel and will for foreseeable so transport would be least of the worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's rare we don't have power for more than 30 minutes a year, we live in a town. Typically these type cuts would happen at peak times, say 5 to 7pm, so you would not have much an issue charging a car overnight. EVs have potential to help the grid by stopping charging for a few minutes at peak times to help the network.

I think it's mostly hype, we can buy power from NI and UK and sure we can just cut off the west, no one would notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

So, it's the fault of EVs, heat pumps & data centres!

Some real quick calculations here.

10,000 BEVs, driving 15,000km/year, using 18kWh/100km, charged at home (averaging 60kWh/week each), against 2 million households, averaging 12,000kWh/year each, puts 99.99% of domestic electricity NOT being used to charge EVs.

Or, 0.01% of domestic electricity is being used to charge EVs.

That doesn't even begin to account for commercial use of energy, which is probably a multiple of domestic use?

But we face rolling blackouts, because Mary in number 16 has a 24kWh Leaf 😂.

Still on target for 1,000,000 EVs by 2050 are we?

we can buy power from NI and UK and sure we can just cut off the west, no one would notice!

We can't import UK electricity since brexit.............it needs to go through customs in Portlaoise..........non EU origin ya see.......need to tax it first........then carbon tax it again to be green & PSO levy it too...........

Can we apply VRT to it too, maybe NOx aswell? Tax it at source........polluter pays principle.......😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Cut off Donegal too while your at it, we have the hydro powerstation in bally shannon, and a pile of wind. We'll be grand! - Can a stirling engine be run off turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The average Irish home uses ~4000kWh per annum, not 12,000.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As someone 'on the inside', I can confidently say the Cork generator they speak of will be back up and running fairly soon. (its actually not the generator, which is fine, its the gas turbine that turns the generator which has the issue.

We have our top men on it. our TOP MEN.

Also, Dublin Bay successfully came back onine last week after a long outage, so there's an extra ~400MW of reliable supply back on the grid.

Gas Turbines are basically just big jet engines anyway, but instead of turning a huge fan, they turn a huge generator. The smaller aeroderivative gas turbines (plane engines that run generators) are typically in or around the 22MW mark, so you'd need around 20 of them to replace the capacity of 1 CCGT plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good luck with getting it back working Andy 😁

The average Irish home uses ~4000kWh per annum, not 12,000.

You are 100% correct! I had seen the 12,000kWh figure on bonkers recently while switching supplier, but that was for gas.

It makes using EVs as a scapegoat for possible blackouts, even more farcical. Probably 99.995% of domestic electricity then IS NOT used for charging EVs.

Hoping Andy gets his local genny working in time & we avert power cuts, but then that begs the question why were we spending over €100m to rent unneeded extra capacity?

Their plan was thwarted so we're in either one of two scenarios now.

1. We didn't need to spend the €100m+ in the first place or
    2. We'll have rolling blackouts this winter.

Just imagine the effect power cuts could have on EV adoption..........."glad I didn't buy an electric.......what use is a car you can't charge.........glad I stuck with my diesel..........it's those fu@k!ng electric cars causing these power cuts..........I can't cook a dinner now ........pr1cks next door & their fu@k!ng Tesla".....etc. 😀

Too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Looks like it's all on track, no issue here. The usual FUD? Blackouts for a few hours presumably at peak times not an issue for most charging which is done at night. Bigger issue for people trying to cook dinner after work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Power cuts likely between 5-7pm or so, at peak demand.

Not many people would be charging an EV. It's more likely that your cuppa with corrie would be interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Most likely the market rate of the electricity will skyrocket and all the heavy consumers who follow those rates will curtail their operations to offset the cost

The average consumer will be hit with rate hikes (as usual) and those "lucky" customers with smart meters will see their jaws drop when they see the peak rate in the evening

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Which part? If you're referring to the rate hikes then we've already been hit with 3 increases this year, so why not a 4th one?

As for heavy consumers, to a large extent it depends on what they're doing and whether it makes financial sense to move operations to times when electricity is cheaper. If electricity is expensive enough then they'll do it

Eirgrid were saying the exact same thing last year about potential power cuts, basically they needed the perfect storm of low renewables, generators being down and the UK/NI not exporting to us. Surprise surprise, none of it ever happened

It isn't a 0% chance, and I'm all in favour of adding things like storage or more interconnectors with France to give us more options, but it's far from doom and gloom

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement