Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spread lime with disk spinner?

• 25-04-2021 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

How are these spreaders for throwing out lime?
    Nothing out out here in 20 years of now besides few bags of gran lime last couple years. I'm tempted to get 2 local fields spread with line asap but have a couple of wetter spots that I was tempted to try with the spinner. Would it clog up? Would wagtail be same?
    Thanks guys? Suppose lime Is going to the be the way forward for all of its not already, handy size lime spread would be great if could be gotten..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I'm in the market for a fert spreader so just wondering of one type of another would suit spreading the powder lime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

tellmeabit wrote: »
    How are these spreaders for throwing out lime?
    Nothing out out here in 20 years of now besides few bags of gran lime last couple years. I'm tempted to get 2 local fields spread with line asap but have a couple of wetter spots that I was tempted to try with the spinner. Would it clog up? Would wagtail be same?
    Thanks guys? Suppose lime Is going to the be the way forward for all of its not already, handy size lime spread would be great if could be gotten..

It won't flow properly, it set in the spreader and wouldn't flow with me anyway

Thats what im thining . I do know the vicon wagtail had an attachment for it to spread lime if one could be found.
    With my small set up and small fields might be difficult to get contractor to call on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Would it be on to spread it by hand from a trailer or transport box.

Best bet ask a contractor.

Would expect deliveries to be in 20tonne loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Buy it spread, and there will be no vat on the spreading charge. It will only cost about €5 per tonne onto the cost of the lime to spread it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

If very small and wet fields, best bet is to continue with gran lime or something like Gromax. Any spreader will definately not spread powder lime and you'll end up shovelling it back out again.

As has been mentioned, a minimum quantity is about 20 tons and the cost of spreading is fairly cheap through a contractor if you can justify getting at least the 20t. If getting less, it might be worth talking to a spreading contractor who might have an option of just bringing a full spreader if passing the quarry which could be down to 6-8 tons? Really depends where you are located relative to the source!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I have spread lime with an old Vicon fertiliser spreader

Mine is like this
    https://i.machinio.com/medium/1y9ydf1/1749829948.jpg

I looked into getting the lime attachment for it, I even got onto Vicon - they had the part, and could sent it to me for about 150euro :)
    That was the end of that...

So, I tried it without the proper part, and it did the job ok...

Few things I found
    - Set the spreader to fully open, and go as slow as you can
    - Open the spreader before you turn on PTO (PTO first means the lime settles with the vibrations and doesnt flow)
    - If the lime does get stuck, dropping the spreader onto the ground normally frees it (not too violent mind, just the impact of it hitting the ground seemed to free it)
    - Spread the lime straight away once delivered (I'd say if it got wet at all, and wasn't pure powder you wouldn't have a chance)

I spread about 13 ton in a day when I was at it. Even filling with a shovel doesn't take as long as you'd think...

Now, before anyone asks why I brought such hardship on myself ;)
    Contractor has a big spreader, but wouldn't travel some of my ground as tis high as he was afraid he'd get stuck down in glens/awkward spots with a few ton of lime behind him...
    So, I spread it myself with the vicon and 135, and it did fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I think some of the 3 point KRM spreads willspread fert and Lime

18e a ton plus €5 to spread is what im being charged here anyway. Lime is coming 40 miles about. lime contractor about 1km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I think some of the 3 point KRM spreads willspread fert and Lime

The ones that use a conveyor to take the product to the discs? There was a nice clean trailed one for sale locally a while back and based on what I could see on the UK forums they aren't suitable for lime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Gillespy wrote: »
    The ones that use a conveyor to take the product to the discs? There was a nice clean trailed one for sale locally a while back and based on what I could see on the UK forums they aren't suitable for lime either.

https://www.krm-ltd.co.uk/Products%20Bredals.htm

second one down

• Advertisement

I have spread lime with an old Vicon fertiliser spreader

Mine is like this
    https://i.machinio.com/medium/1y9ydf1/1749829948.jpg

I looked into getting the lime attachment for it, I even got onto Vicon - they had the part, and could sent it to me for about 150euro :)
    That was the end of that...

So, I tried it without the proper part, and it did the job ok...

Few things I found
    - Set the spreader to fully open, and go as slow as you can
    - Open the spreader before you turn on PTO (PTO first means the lime settles with the vibrations and doesnt flow)
    - If the lime does get stuck, dropping the spreader onto the ground normally frees it (not too violent mind, just the impact of it hitting the ground seemed to free it)
    - Spread the lime straight away once delivered (I'd say if it got wet at all, and wasn't pure powder you wouldn't have a chance)

I spread about 13 ton in a day when I was at it. Even filling with a shovel doesn't take as long as you'd think...

Now, before anyone asks why I brought such hardship on myself ;)
    Contractor has a big spreader, but wouldn't travel some of my ground as tis high as he was afraid he'd get stuck down in glens/awkward spots with a few ton of lime behind him...
    So, I spread it myself with the vicon and 135, and it did fine...

Sounds similar to myself. I've 5 acres that are grand to spread that I'm grazing rather than silage at the mo, these need 10t/ha from report..
    So would go with what 2t/acre on them? = 10 t. Might get silage in the back end of year there too. Aug maybe.

Have a glen that I'm not sure That the large machines would drive into.
    And then have a wet black soil field that they may travel during the st year part of summer. So that would take a load on its own.
    Need to contact the contractor I'm the north kerry area and get them to see what's what here.
    Would be handy to be able to do the wet place and hilly spot myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Sounds similar to myself. I've 5 acres that are grand to spread that I'm grazing rather than silage at the mo, these need 10t/ha from report..
    So would go with what 2t/acre on them? = 10 t. Might get silage in the back end of year there too. Aug maybe.

Have a glen that I'm not sure That the large machines would drive into.
    And then have a wet black soil field that they may travel during the st year part of summer. So that would take a load on its own.
    Need to contact the contractor I'm the north kerry area and get them to see what's what here.
    Would be handy to be able to do the wet place and hilly spot myself..

There is some minimum time between line application and silage, not sure what it is but might’ve worth checking...

Sure if you were getting a load, you could always try a few loads on your own spreader and see how you go...
    As I say, would need to be powder dry for the fertiliser spreader...

Let us know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It was KRM B2 I was thinking of. Similar concept but two narrow belts compared to one wider belt on your one. That is the difference that makes it suitable for lime as it won't bridge as easily.

There is some minimum time between line application and silage, not sure what it is but might’ve worth checking...

Sure if you were getting a load, you could always try a few loads on your own spreader and see how you go...
    As I say, would need to be powder dry for the fertiliser spreader...

Let us know how you get on...

I think it's 3 months between line and silage.
    Ya that's what I'm think, get the bit at house done and try the glen myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pecorporation

Try this site https://www.prestigeequipment.com/ just click Browse Used Machinery and Equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it 5 euros incl loading or is it cheaper if you load yourself

Advertisement