Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice - Gaming laptop - 2 choices or others

2»

Comments

laptopsdirect.ie are selling in euro from an .ie domain

no Irish VAT to be added on as it's on already

(or any other charges)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

glasso wrote: »
    laptopsdirect.ie are selling in euro from an .ie domain

no Irish VAT to be added on as it's on already

(or any other charges)

ive bought u a coffee for u time glosso

Do you think the laptop referenced from laptopsdirect is the best for the money (1600) delivered or is there a better one out there. He can get it delivered to address in UK so it opens up his options a bit

Here is main programme requirments (recommended requirmenst tab)
    https://lumion.com//requirements.html

He wont be able to afford 32gb ram as budget is 1500/1600 euro

many thanks agian and enjoy the coffee

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    ive bought u a coffee for u time glosso

Do you think the laptop referenced from laptopsdirect is the best for the money (1600) delivered or is there a better one out there. He can get it delivered to address in UK so it opens up his options a bit

Here is main programme requirments (recommended requirmenst tab)
    https://lumion.com//requirements.html

He wont be able to afford 32gb ram as budget is 1500/1600 euro

many thanks agian and enjoy the coffee

having compared against the requirements the laptop should do very well

the cpu and the gpu meet the recommended requirements and are both powerful

I would say that 16gb cpu ram and 8gb video ram should do the job

also note that if required swapping out one of the 8gb cpu ram slots down the line for a 16gb one to bring it up to 24 gb cpu ram would not be a big expense if required (~100 euro and you could sell the 8gb stick also so net cost 60 euro). and it's a very simple job to do.

another point is that moving up to the next level of graphics card the nvidia 3080 is a big jump up in price so it's out of budget

for the money that lenovo is not bad value

Also the 3070 card runs at the higher wattage level in this laptop (115W to 130W) so it's running at full capability

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/43792-2021-lenovo-legion-5-pro-ryzen/
    Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH-06

Radeon Vega + Nvidia RTX 3000 series (up to 3070 115-130W)

glasso wrote: »
    having compared against the requirements the laptop should do very well

the cpu and the gpu meet the recommended requirements and are both powerful

I would say that 16gb cpu ram and 8gb video ram should do the job

also note that if required swapping out one of the 8gb cpu ram slots down the line for a 16gb one to bring it up to 24 gb cpu ram would not be a big expense if required (~100 euro and you could sell the 8gb stick also so net cost 60 euro). and it's a very simple job to do.

another point is that moving up to the next level of graphics card the nvidia 3080 is a big jump up in price so it's out of budget

for the money that lenovo is not bad value

Thanks Glasso
    Could you link a 16gb ram so he knows exactly what to get please

I see its available in Currys.ie now also so i might pick up from there

Cheers

• Advertisement

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Thanks Glasso
    Could you link a 16gb ram so he knows exactly what to get please

I see its available in Currys.ie now also so i might pick up from there

Cheers

it's a ddr4 sodimm (laptop size ram stick) that's needed

at 3200 Mhz speed

not 100% if the laptop comes with 2x8 or 1x16 in it

either way the 1x16gb is what you need and either put in the empty slot or take out one of the 8gb ram sticks and swap for the 16gb

(as said can sell the 8gb stick for 40 euro or so easily on say adverts)

this seems to be the best price that I can see at 88 euro for the 3200Mhz 16gb sodimm from a decent supplier

https://eu.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct16g4sfd832a

edit - it's out of stock

here for £80 on amazon (currently available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-3200MHz-SODIMM-Notebook-PC4-25600/dp/B0963NCPNC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=16GB+DDR4-3200+SODIMM&qid=1625140089&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

I'm considering the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro but can't see it listed anywhere apart from Lenovo US. Is it just out of stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

I've been looking for the Pro for a while and I have settled on the 15.6" Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 7 5800H and RTX 3070 8GB. I ordered it from PC World the other day, delivery says a week. As far as I can tell, this is the best value for money for a high spec laptop in Ireland right now. Lenovo may be dropping some 5 Pros in the next few weeks but I figure it will be 1-2 months waiting for delivery for those and I'm not going to wait that long for a new laptop.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-legion-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-3070-512-gb-ssd-10220310-pdt.html

EmmetF wrote:
    I've been looking for the Pro for a while and I have settled on the 15.6" Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 7 5800H and RTX 3070 8GB. I ordered it from PC World the other day, delivery says a week. As far as I can tell, this is the best value for money for a high spec laptop in Ireland right now. Lenovo may be dropping some 5 Pros in the next few weeks but I figure it will be 1-2 months waiting for delivery for those and I'm not going to wait that long for a new laptop.

Did yours dispatch yet ?

I ordered the Legion 5 Pro on Tuesday from Lenovo. I have looked elsewhere to purchase one but I couldn't find anywhere at the moment with the RTX 3070 configuration. It appears it will not be shipped until the 30th of November and won't arrive until 9th of December.

I don't need it urgently but 4+ months is extreme. I'm not sure whether to cancel or just wait.

EDIT: After reading horrendous reviews on TrustPilot from ordering directly with Lenovo / Digital River I'm regretting placing an order with them. I am hoping it will go smoothly. Their payment processing page is awful and it took several attempts to make a successful order.

Post edited by alanzo27 on

• Advertisement

I have decided to cancel my order with Lenovo. I have been refunded and have placed an order with Laptops Direct for the Lenovo Legion 5. It has shipped already and I should receive it tomorrow or early next week. I won't have the upgraded screen that the Pro offers but at least I'll have a laptop.

I got the Lenovo Legion 5 delivered today. It is an amazing piece of hardware. I like the minimalistic design. Everything is working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Hi guys,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. But looking at the below Acer for €1200. Is it a decent buy? It's for my niece's kid.

• Intel® Core™ i7-10750H processor Hexa-core 2.60 GHz
    • 39.6 cm (15.6") Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS 144 Hz
    • 16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
    • 1 TB SSD
    • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 with 6 GB dedicated memory

thanks 

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newgamer101

Hi everyone,

looking at this refurbished (scratch and dent) Alienware laptop from the dell outlet for gaming and general use. I have never bought a gaming laptop and maxed my budget if I buy it. I no there is some overheating issues with this laptop but with the discount and being refurbished it’s a great price would appreciate any opinions on this

thanks

• PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.60GHz, 20MB Cache, 45W) 
    • SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Home
    • 1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive Hard Drive
    • 32GB (2X16GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 SoDIMM Non ECC MEMORY
    • 15.6 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) 240Hz 2ms Comfort View Plus Non Touch Display, NVIDIA G SYNC & Advanced Optimus LCD
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 GRAPHICS

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-alienware-m15-ryzen-edition-r5/spd/alienware-m15-r5-laptop/nawm15r506

Advertisement