Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla <> ChaDeMo

• 24-08-2021 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

I would've searched for previous posts but this new platform is poxy.

has anyone used a ChaDeMo <> Tesla adapter to charge a Leaf (not super charger), and if so how do you sign up with Tesla here?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can buy a type 2 socket with a type 1 plug which adapts a Tesla home or destination charger to connect to a leaf. However all tests of this adapter seems to fail to work. The same adapter does work on similar non Tesla branded chargers.

Tesla destination chargers are all free here, but the ones with red signs typically only charge Tesla cars, and the ones with white signs will charge non Tesla, but not a leaf with an adapter

I don't think ChaDeMo is the thing you need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

We've got a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter that we use to charge a Leaf at a Tesla Wall Connector at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need to clarify what you mean.

Chademo to Tesla but not a Super Charger????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So the Chademo adapter converts Chademo to Type 2 DC. Your leaf cannot accept this. (It can charge natively on chademo anyway)

You can get a type2 to type 1 adapter for tethered AC chargers however these do not work on Tesla Destination Chargers - despite the hardware fitting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Before I got the PV in I was going to go for a Tesla Wall Change POint and there was one 2-1 adapter that worked but I ended up not getting the TWC, I found it on some UK forums but not to hand right now.

Having moved the Leaf on, I'm out of CHAdeMO quandary now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The home charger seems to work with t2-t1 but the destination chargers installed commercially do not.

This is the problem, chademo and type1 are both dead in europe, you really need to have CCS2 and type2 to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We've both been saying this for years. I recently heard that even in the USA with many, many Leafs and other CHAdeMO cars still driving around, the main public charging network no longer installs any CHAdeMO chargers on any of their new sites. Only right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks for all the replies! I meant whether I could charge the Leaf at a public Tesla charge point using a ChaDeMo - Tesla adapter. seems not so thanks for settling that idea!

btw, why the animosity towards ChaDeMo? genuinely curious

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

CHAdeMO is a dead standard. Its limited to 62kW which in this day and age is dial up, while everyone else is using broadband, with Fibre on the way....

The ratio of CCS cars to CHAdeMO cars grows exponentially each day, yet at every eCars DC charging site in the country bar 1, CHAdeMO has equal priority with CCS (and even higher priority given a CHAdeMO can stop a CCS car from charging by simply plugging in).

Nissan (and whoever else flog it (Lexus?)) should be mandated to switch to CCS as standard for European Union countries (Nissan are even doing this with their new BEV, the Ariya).

No new CHAdeMO plugs should be installed by eCars in Ireland. Maintain the existing ones until the last of the CHAdeMO Leaf's are gone, or below a certain point to make it viable, and focus all efforts on CCS plug installations

• Advertisement
Advertisement