Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MadYaker wrote: »
    The quest to use an xbox controller on pc continues. Tried it with a cable but apparently what I need is actually a wireless receiver because the cable is just for charging? This is great.

Oh so you have a Xbox 360 controller. I have been using a Xbox One controller for years. All you need is a micro usb cable or a usb c cable depending on which Xbox One controller you have early or late model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I tried an xbox one controller already it didn't work.

Something wrong there. I only use a Xbox controller for gaming on PC and have done so for years with out any issues. It is probably the only controller you can get for PC that works straight out of the box. Plug it in with usb cable and PC will find it and download the driver automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Something not right, I only use xbox controllers as well and they work straight away when you connect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Did you connect via cable and download the updates required? I had bt controller dropping signal, buttons settings being wrong etc. until i connect and downloaded firmware updates.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Did you connect via cable and download the updates required? I had bt controller dropping signal, buttons settings being wrong etc. until i connect and downloaded firmware updates.

I’ve given up to be honest. I’ve spent about €30 getting the 360 controller and cable after the xb one controller wouldn’t work via Bluetooth or usb. I’m not wasting any more time or money. I only wanted it for one game that I bought on steam which somehow doesn’t work with a mouse and kb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I’ve given up to be honest. I’ve spent about €30 getting the 360 controller and cable after the xb one controller wouldn’t work via Bluetooth or usb. I’m not wasting any more time or money. I only wanted it for one game that I bought on steam which somehow doesn’t work with a mouse and kb.

That's annoying. Also had a wired Xbox controller in the past and currently have the Elite one and both worked straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Did you have the controller connected to the cable before connecting the cable to the pc? I remember my friend had the same issue and it was as simple as that to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you using a really old version of Windows by any chance? The Xbox One controller is just plug and play with a standard USB Micro/C cable depending on the model.

It also connects to Bluetooth easily though it may have to be 4.0 and above to work, EG if you have some old/cheap Bluetooth 2.1 adaptor it won't work.

I've gone through tons of them and it literally is as simple as just plugging it in and it works though at the very least with the cable.

The 360 controller is different. There's a charging cable but fairly sure that doesn't not work as a wired controller. With the 360 controller you need either a hard wired one, or the Xbox wireless receiver if it's wireless.

I've got the most recent version of windows 10 and an xbox one controller is absolutely not plug in and play, I couldn't get my PC or steam to recognise it no matter what I tried. I plug it in and the controller vibrates, I hold the logo button to turn it on, it starts to flash and that's it, nothing happens. Xbox accessories app won't recognise the controller either. So I gave up, steam shouldn't be selling games that don't work with a mouse and kb and if they are it should come with a warning.

• Advertisement

I've got the most recent version of windows 10 and an xbox one controller is absolutely not plug in and play, I couldn't get my PC or steam to recognise it no matter what I tried. I plug it in and the controller vibrates, I hold the logo button to turn it on, it starts to flash and that's it, nothing happens. Xbox accessories app won't recognise the controller either. So I gave up, steam shouldn't be selling games that don't work with a mouse and kb and if they are it should come with a warning.

Honestly it's plug and play. There is something up with that controller. Do you know anyone with a Xbox to try it out on and see if it works. If you picked it up second hand the seller must have been selling it as it was faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Maybe it's trying to connect wireless and the wire you're using is only for charging? Or something similar to that. Just a guess. Somehow doubt my linux system has better plug and play with PS4 and Xbox controllers than windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,594 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What’s the model number on the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you connect the controller to the PC with a cable then the Xbox logo should light up automatically and be connected to the PC. There's no need to be pressing any button.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any chance it's a first gen xbox one controller which doesn't have bluetooth and needs a dongle to work with pc? I'm nearly sure those ones wouldn't work wired either as the cable only charged them.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Any chance it's a first gen xbox one controller which doesn't have bluetooth and needs a dongle to work with pc? I'm nearly sure those ones wouldn't work wired either as the cable only charged them.

The orginal Elite Controller didn't have Bluetooth and worked with a cable on PC.

I used the Xbox cable that comes with the official rechargeable pack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The orginal Elite Controller didn't have Bluetooth and worked with a cable on PC.

I used the Xbox cable that comes with the official rechargeable pack.

The standard Xbox one is the same. I don't have any dongle for mine and it works when plugged in using a cable.

The standard Xbox one is the same. I don't have any dongle for mine and it works when plugged in using a cable.

That's the way they all are. Once plugged into the PC you shouldn't have to turn the controller on at all.

Where did you buy the controller OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So 2 game series were ported to PC this week: Ninja Gaiden and No More Heroes.
    Seems the No More Heroes games don't allow keyboard and mouse. Both were designed with Wii controls though the first was ported to other consoles'

Abysmal reviews for Ninja Gaiden, too. Worst version, censored, no KB/M or basic PC options. KOEI TECMO should just F off at this point. They've consistently showed they're not prepared to put in any effort whatsoever. When the emulated version is better you really have to ask what in the crap are the developers even doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Abysmal reviews for Ninja Gaiden, too. Worst version, censored, no KB/M or basic PC options. KOEI TECMO should just F off at this point. They've consistently showed they're not prepared to put in any effort whatsoever. When the emulated version is better you really have to ask what in the crap are the developers even doing.

Ive never understood how a company can just squander their legacy like that.
    youd have to imagine there are companies like Iron Galaxy or Bluepoint who would be happy to take on those projects and show them some real love, for a much better return.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I thought companies had started treating PC ports seriously and the days of half assed ports were over

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ive never understood how a company can just squander their legacy like that.
    youd have to imagine there are companies like Iron Galaxy or Bluepoint who would be happy to take on those projects and show them some real love, for a much better return.

Yeah but doing that would cost more. They probably don't think the increased cost is worth the extra sales it may get so instead of doing it properly they do it on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yep, but will irritatingly drop porting stuff to PC altogether and blame poor sales on a lack of interest from players.

What a deal

pKx13ux.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,594 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*checks on Star Citizen*

Nope, still not quite ripe. Maybe in 2030.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Loaded up Resident Evil: Village yesterday for the first time. Easily the worst PC port I've ever seen in a Capcom game. The other three Resi titles were phenomenal ports but this is trash by comparison. Game itself looks decent enough so hopefully that makes up for it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Twitch has suffered from a major data breach this week. It has 125GB of streamers financial records & other data like source codes including the very beginnings of it's first website justin.tv. All of the leaked data from Twitch has been uploaded on 4Chan via the dark web. The hacker who uploaded the data on 4Chan, who remains anonymous; has said that the data breach had the intention to “foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space” because “their community is a disgusting toxic cesspool”.

I had to laugh at that comment because Twitch users are really lesser of the two evils when compared a lot of the disturbed individuals who have accounts up on 4Chan. A lot of the streamers, who are not like the millionaires on Twitch, are not really making that much money from it while they livestream their videos on the website. If some streamers are not able to have a proper job; this is their only income that they get paid while being on the website.

Some Twitter users have also said that if you have 2FA enabled on your Twitch account; it is reportedly safe. But there is another apparent major problem with encountering a data leak of this scale; it's has been reported from Reddit this is apparently only part 1 of the breach which may include more data maybe leaked on the dark web very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just messed around abit with Nvidia Geforce Now, even with a decent broadband connection its running poorly for me, anybody else mess around with it?

Advertisement