Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Almost new pre-reg car - more expensive than new?

• 25-08-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm looking at a 211 pre-reg car at the moment from a main dealer. Compared to the brand new version of the exact same model (same engine, spec, colour), the pre-reg is a few hundred euro more expensive. It only has 20 kilometres on the clock.

Is this standard practice or am I being taken for a mug? Perhaps there are some nuances in the spec I could be missing etc? I know I need to ask the dealer but from prior experience I'm not inclined to believe a word that comes out of their mouths.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long is the waiting time for delivery of the actual new one? If its months, you're paying to get the car now.

There's a shortage of cars, basically, so this isn't entirely unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

makes sense. I figured I was missing something. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Are you absolutely sure it’s like for like? Prices on the websites are also often not completely accurate, not reflecting recent price changes or spec changes and usually they also omit the “delivery charge” which can be up to €1K.

that said, there is a shortage of cars and ridiculous lead times so I would expect discounts on nearly new stuff to be very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If you were to bang cash on the counter most dealers would suggest 6 months or so with no guarantees on delivery timetable. It's a long wait.... I'm surprised they are not adding a few k to the ones they have.

That’s insane. Is that brexit, Covid, or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

both.

semi conductors shortages is the major problem for new car production. This shortage was brought about by Covid among other things

Brexit has killed UK imports stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately it's a typical case of supply and demand dictating prices. You might get the newer car cheaper but you could be waiting until next year for it is less whereas the pre reg is there right now if your not overly concerned about the spec. With typical waiting times and availability of brand new models thin on the ground dealers know that there won't be a shortage of suiters for it even if it costs more than a new one. It's a seller's market out there at the moment.

Thanks everyone - very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The dealer may not actually want to sell the car at the moment!

Lead times on some new vehicles are so long, that if a pre-reg sells, they won't be able to replace it with anything. This leaves the dealer short on that model car in case someone does want to test drive one and place an order for whenever delivery is, and in a lot of cases means someone doesn't have a demo to drive home in.

Delivery, metallic, any options and in quite a few cases, paint protection etc. will be included in the price of a pre-reg

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

is there anything in particular I should look out for when test driving and viewing such a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Dealer charges probably not added to the "new car" like delivery charges,paint type,cleaning/preparation,registering with Revenue,plates, etc

If,you are talking about the pre reg 20km - has been around the forecourt or over to the local Texaco for a fill or one trip home with the salesperson.It's a new car just with one previous owner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

Why would sell a pre-reg then, surely they would keep it on as a demo?

Is it that difficult to order new cars - we have been hearing about semi-conductors for almost a year, you'd imagine all the semi conductor factories are back to 100% plus volume now and they would be taking orders now for next year delivery?

Try ordering a car from the factory from the likes of one of the VAG brands and see how you get on. You will be waiting months for anything that the dealers haven't been allocated already. Factories are not back to 100% either, Covid and social distancing in the work place have not gone away. They are still playing catch-up and there is also other industries impacted by the semi conductor shortage such as the computer industry or basically anything that uses a chip or circuit board.

Certainly seems like the dealership don't want to sell it. I'm offering cash and ready to pay and take the car away right away but every excuse under the sun is coming up and I'm being pushed towards the 212 version instead. so frustrating. I'll be walking away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's very weird. You honestly told them you had cash ready to pay and they refused. Mad.

What car is it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's across the board at the moment, a family member works with one of the major car hire companies, and they've had huge problems getting enough cars to meet the demand this summer, and they are down on previous years as a result of Covid, and they've been told that the situation for next year is equally bad, due to manufacturing constraints, primarly the chip shortage, but there are other issues, Covid, distribution, parts supplies and Brexit have all had their influences and it seems that resolving some of the ongoing issues is going to take quite some time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

not so much refusing, just dragging out the (potential) sale - it's not ready yet, it's out on loan, it's being test driven, meanwhile please take our PCP and the newer model instead etc.

So someone else has an extended test drive of it or it's being used as a courtesy car? If someone has it on extended test then they maybe hoping they buy it and they might have a trade-in that the dealer wants versus your straight deal. In normal times your deal would have trumped the other person but dealers are very short of used stock now and they might actually make more money by taking a trade in from another interested buyer. They may also be on an extra bonus or incentive scheme from the distributor to shift x number of new cars already in country by a certain period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It probably is a Demo, and no one has updated the mileage on it for a while.

Things are just getting worse as far as lead time and ordering is concerned. The semi conductor issue is by no means resolved and it's beginning to look like it's going to drag on until mid next year at least.

Almost all stock in the country is sold at this point. Model year changes and factory holidays are delaying things quite a bit at the moment. One of the manufacturer's that we get a regular stock list from has hundreds of vehicles that should have been built in the last 3 - 5 weeks, but haven't entered production yet - or are built and not in shipping yet.

Already ordering some stuff for March next year at this stage, and even then I doubt that as a delivery date from one manufacturer. Everything else, that isn't physically on the ground at the moment, is being ordered for January - probably, but might go out a bit further - we just don't know.

Yep, I’m experiencing this first hand. A car I’ve ordered was apparently build-complete in early August but it hasn’t boarded a ship yet and no sign of it doing so anytime soon. So it’s a month sitting on the ground somewhere around the factory. I’m now told it’s still waiting on semi conductor(s), weeks after it seemed apparent that it was completed

At this rate it will be a January reg…

this parts shortage problem is not getting any better as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'm also waiting delivery of a new car but the wait period was 4 months of which there are two weeks left. I'm told it is awaiting shipping so should arrive on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭GusGus

Are there any car/ makes not affected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I have heard some of the Japanese makes aren't as badly affected as they were hit by supply shortages after 2011 tsunami and after that made changes to their process/supply to try mitigate against future shortages. That said the chip shortage is very bad and has been going on a while now so they may well be affected at this stage.

All makes are affected. The Japanese / Asian manufacturers had stockpiled a lot of parts though, so I read, so they didn't hit the problem as early as the Europeans. But Toyota recently announced that they're cutting production by 40% so they're obviously feeling the effects now.

Then how they deal with the situation varies from make to make. BMW are stripping out spec for example, to get the cars built quicker, whereas VAG seem to plough on and build the cars to spec but end up with enormous lead times due to shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

I just bought a Nissan Qashqai and from ordering to receiving took around 12 working days and I had a choice of colours but from reading this thread I must have been lucky to get it that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

211 pre reg is simply a car registered at the end of June so that the dealer could hit their targets for a rebate.

An unregistered car will have "delivery charges" of a few hundred. These charges are added as vrt is applied to the retail landed price, thus saves vrt on the costs after the car lands at the dock.

Plenty of Nissan quasqai about as they are made in the UK, so easy enough for nissan Ireland to get additional stock as UK car sales are substantially down on 2019 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

Very interesting - will probably all lead to a flood of cars mid next year. I think I will try to hold tight and buy mid next year, was planning on switching around next month and potentially importing a vat qualifying < 2 year old car from U.K. but prices if anything have increased since the new reg change there on Sept 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

To put it simplistically, when the pandemic hit last year, most manufacturers cancelled or substantially reduced their forward orders for chips. In the meantime, demand for consumer electronics & IT equipment boomed as we worked from home and were locked down (think laptops, video conferencing equipment, games consoles, phones, smart devices like TVs, tablets etc). This demand quickly absorbed any excess capacity the chip makes had.

When the auto manufacturers got over their 'chicken little' moment and realised the sky wasnt going to fall in, they faced being at the back of the queue for the chip makers as the order books were full and they have been there ever since waiting for production capacity to increase. The European & American manufacturers were most pessimistic and hence worst affected. Tesla being the notable exception managed to keep full production (but they are not at the same scale in fairness).

Some of the Japanese manufacturers have fared well until recently, however even they are affected as Toyota is now reporting they are finally being hit hard with production shutdowns. The Koreans (Hyundai/Kia) were more savvy, but increased demand from buyers look for alternatives has in turned created delays.

New supply chains are being developed which should mitigate this risk in the future, however this will not affect the current shortages in the near term.

Advertisement