Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid & schools: 46,000 positive cases under 18

Options
  • 23-08-2021 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Finally, some statistical clarity. 4% of people under 18 have got Covid since the pandemic began in March 2020. However, this means 17% of all positive Covid cases in the State were in people under 18.

This is a far more honest picture than the one which claimed cases in schools were low; technically, they were kept low because the student's Covid was recorded as being from the community -e.g. from other family members - rather than as a school case. Many of us here were pointing out this massaging of statistics a year ago and it didn't inspire trust when we knew our students who had Covid were rarely recorded on the official school statistics due to political/reopening reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-46-000-covid-cases-in-children-since-start-of-pandemic-says-hse-1.4653462?mode=amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For parents, the study is reassuring.

"The review found 2.5% of close contacts in primary schools tested positive, while that figure was 1.8% for secondary schools and 3.4% for the Special Educational Needs sector.

The HSE said this was "reassuring", as the national positivity rate for close contacts varied between 10-30% over the same period."

"Adult to adult, adult to child or child to child transmission were all more commonly seen than student to adult transmission," it said."

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Morris Garren

What do you want out of all this number crunching? In other words, what alternative narrative do you want to hear, and to what end? If you are expecting full honesty and integrity from either NPHET or Government, then you might be left disappointed. But in reality, I can't see what alternative to opening schools and carrying on at this stage would suffice. What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I hope I'm not right, but I think this year is going to be the worst year for Covid and schools. The messiest anyway. We are not due back until Friday but already we have 4 vaccinated staff members who won't be in attendance because they have Covid.

I'm wondering if we will reach levels of absenteeism that are so high it forces some schools back online this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I bought a HEPA filter for my class from my own money, worth every cent .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What are schools doing re lunch (for teachers and students)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Teachers are eating out of boots of cars like they did last year,but its OK,nobody gives a fcuk.(Compare to other professions,if you must!).

Students are just being students,eating lunch together and getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don’t think gaiscioch “wants” anything, other than maybe an acknowledgment that we were consistently fed a lies that there was very little Covid in schools and that schools were/are safe, when we all knew that wasn’t the truth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary school in Dublin with cases in at least 10 different rooms. No contact tracing or no children to be sent home seems to be the new dictat.

Advertisement