Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hmm. Sounds good to me. Maybe some toasted sesame seeds to top and some rice vinegar on the broccoli? Radishes? Something zingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bratwurst with Broccoli Mash, Garlic Beans, Honey roasted Carrots and gravy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Stir fried vegetables in satay sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Singapore noodles, few chips and fried rice.

Any idea why the pics (all pics) are coming through slightly blurry?

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sichaun Kung Pao Chicken.😂

Had to buy a few ingredients like Black Vinegar, Chili bean paste, Shaohsing Rice cooking wine and.....and the dreaded, Sichuan Peppercorns. Threw them out last year as I had used them incorrectly, whole instead of as above advises, finely chopped.

They, peppercorns (not actually peppercorns which I knew) might be going in the bin again 😂 or I'll use a much lesser amount than advised. They are ferocious!!! 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had leftover roast beef in the freezer so I heated it in mushroom & onion gravy and we had it with mash and cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

I made us a nice, comforting hotpot on Saturday, using some TVP chunks I bought from our local Polish shops and vegetables fresh from the garden.

It was just the two of us, but we finished off this massive pan between us no problem! Seriously tasty stuff 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Vegetarian here this evening, I made this on Saturday night, and let the flavours develop until today.

Red lentil dahl, wild rice (cooked from scratch) and some samosa and naan ( both shop bought)

Bloody delicious.

Post edited by McMurphy on

^ What is it about lentils that they carry flavour so well? 😋

Vegetarian here tonight as well. Butternut Squash Pasta with Garlic Bread. Wasn’t sure what it was going to be like with the spice mix but it was delicious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/butternut_squash_pasta_32947

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

You should try it! 😋 The butternut squash bit takes a while to cook but it’s pretty easy to do. The garlic bread is shop bought I’m afraid. Kids insist on it! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Chicken, roast squash/beet/pepper salad with balsamic honey mustard dressing and goats cheese. After two days of eating total crap, nice to have something home cooked.

Garlic stir-fried mushrooms, egg fried rice and spicy tofu. I tried mixing in spices (sichuan pepper and five spice mostly) with cornflour as a spicy crust to the tofu, and that worked quite well, really.

^ That looks and sounds so tasty. I have a couple of tetra packs of tofu sitting in the cupboard waiting for inspiration. Any suggestions please? 😋

Forgot to take a pic but even the fussier teen wolfed this Lemon & Ground Pepper Chicken. I added cherry tomatoes and peppers to up the veg count. Just ripped the skins off some thighs and legs - about €10 to feed 6 people.

Pic of the deboned version for the late arrivals. 😋

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

Not many if they're silken tofu - I've never been able to cook anything with that without it falling apart on me.

But if they're firm tofu - simply cut into bit-size pieces, place in a bowl with a tbsp of cornflour and any spice mix you like, stir to make sure they're all well covered, then shallow-fry until they're crispy. You can go Indian by adding turmeric and garam masala, Tex-Mex by adding cumin, chili and smoked paprika, North African by adding ras-al-hanout, Chinese(y) by adding five spice and sichuan pepper, or completely mad by adding whatever you grab from the press 😀

If they are silken tofu, you can make them firm up by freezing and defrosting them, but they still may not hold together quite as well.

Simple comfort food. Cheese pasta bake with broccoli and cauliflower and a bit of salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 494 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made some sous vide fillet steak pieces in a Demi glacé with a chicken mousse and finished with some crispy chicken skin. Served it to the cat for her birthday. An Espusso Meowtini

Very nice!

I bought some Sichuan peppercorns a while back, but haven't used them as they are very gritty, like sand. Any advice on how to use them? I was thinking of trying to infuse them into an oil. I love the numbing effect!

• Advertisement

Spaghetti in lemon pesto with Italian sausage, kale and peppers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 494 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Matar paneer and roti (store bought)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That was a very quick year since her last birthday feast!

We had sausages, beans and mash tonight. I don't know what to be eating these days 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I wanted a roast but it was too nice so settled for a salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That cat is the boss!! Looks fab

Moroccan Chickpea Soup. Quick, easy, simple, soooooo delicious!

Treccioni alla Norma. It's just the simplest of tomato sauces (onions, garlic, tin of tomatoes, salt, pepper, fresh basil and parsley) with pasta and some floured and fried slices of aubergine. Simple but very, very tasy.

• Advertisement

Friday night. Hot dogs with Cheesy Nachos……

Advertisement