Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance query if I get knocked off my bike...

• 23-08-2021 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭

General query on health insurance really. If I get knocked off my bike and have to go to hospital, I'm aware you would go to the nearest hospital, but iirc you get asked if you have health insurance or go the public route.

Do I need to know the insurance plan/number at that moment, or do I just say "Yes I have health insurance, but don't have the plan details with me" (assuming I can talk of course!).

i.e. should I carry my health insurance details on a wrist bracelet or something when I go out cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've only experience with VHI, and Vincents (and swiftcare) have been able to make the connection based on personal information.

It doesn't matter for a&e anyway - no difference for public or private in terms of treatment at that stage, only if it comes to admission.

fwiw I have a few "Road ID's" (dog tag and wrist) which I always where one of, and I just have name, age, ICE contact(s) and allergy information (no known allergies in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

or alternatively just sellotape something onto the inside of my watch I guess... as long as it doesn't come off when I'm washing the sweat off

I guess it depends. I don't have any underlining issues, so something above emergency details seems a bit OTT. Ultimately, no Irish hospital is going to treat you differently in an emergency whether you have insurance or not. And even if admitted, it's often about payment given whatever extra your insurance gives you in terms of rooms, still depends on capacity at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you normally bring a phone with you on a cycle, why not use a card wallet app and include your VHI card in it? As others have said, in A&E you shouldn't need it anyway. If cycling in Europe, having an EHIC (formerly E1-11) with you is essential. I must check if a digital version is acceptable.

• Advertisement

Nah never carry my phone cycling.. sure where do you stick it? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pretty sure my health insurance specifically tells you not to give the hospital your number unless you are specifically getting private services.

It says that you get charged 813 per night if you sign the private health insurance waiver. Instead of 80 and unless you get private services to not allow a and e to charge the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You have no need for an emergency situation, the hospital doesn't need to know if you do/dont so no need to have on you.

If you really have a bad accident and have to stay long term in the hospital they will be able to find out themselves as the insurance company will tell them, this is all based on you not been able to tell them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I wear the road ID all the time and also have them for the kids when we go to busy places (Tayto park etc) so if they get lost, someone can phone us.

Tip for anyone thinking about it is to put whatever phone numbers you are putting on a band in an international format so they can be used abroad. (I didn't)

The main negative to the ID band is that my wife heart stops everytime she gets a call from a strange number when I'm out on the bike!

Actually I forgot I cycle with my smartwatch so I guess there must be a way of storing details on that ... but the ID band sounds like a good idea.

Any recommendations? Would like something minimal and waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I use Road ID. Its engraved so lasts a long time and I think is guaranteed forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Road ID is excellent, had mine for 5+ years now and engraving is just as visual now than it was when i first go it.

I use Road ID too. I prefer the dog tag to the wrist though tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have the ID Me wristband that I picked up with my CI membership.

Contrary to what someone said, I bring my phone and have it in my back pocket in a transparent food bag along with a small transparent plastic wallet containing my drivers licence and bank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

They're scarcely going to refuse you treatment without insurance!

ID wristband is a good idea, as is carrying a phone number of someone to be contacted in case of emergency. Or just write it on the inside of your wrist with a permanent marker each time you ride out. It doesn't have to be your wife's number, maybe ask a friend if you can use theirs as an in-case-of-emergency number.

And maybe you could get your wife out cycling so she doesn't view it with such horror…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You need to be careful of this if you end up in a hospital as they will try to charge your insurance company without providing any benefits.

You don't need to provide the actual insurance details at the time, the hospital will come looking for the details later. I recently had a debt agency contact me looking for my insurance details and claim number for treatment one of my kids got in hospital for public treatment. I told them it was urgent public treatment and we didn't get any private benefits.

That's a plus side of our health system, we are all entitled to public treatment regardless of insurance status, and using health insurance isn't always necessary nor warranted.

Right, so in summary, if I do need to get admitted (i.e. where private insurance is a benefit) then I don't need to have the details of the insurance on me at the time?

I'd probably need to be certain of exactly what was covered by my plan though just in case they were going to put me in for something that it turned out wasn't covered.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd probably need to be certain of exactly what was covered by my plan though just in case they were going to put me in for something that it turned out wasn't covered

I think it is less likely that you'll be offered something not on your policy but more likely that you'll give your policy details expecting a room or whatever and you get no frills at all (but insurance still pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Get your name and insurance number tattooed onto your forehead.

Once right way around and once in reverse so that you can read it yourself in a mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

+1 for road Id. Have had mine for year with my partner and dads mobile, my name, where I’m from and that I have no known allergies. Starting to fade a bit now but still perfectly visible. The ink has worn off in parts but the engraving can be read

i wear it 24/7 including when I was doing a lot of physical work which would have worn it a bit. I started wearing it when I heard the story of a man who collapsed in a cafe Ona solo ride and it took 4 days to figure out who he was.

also phone in the jersey pocket has medical info on the emergency contact screen if that survives any accident with detailed medical history, contacts and information.

in terms of medical insurance Ireland is not like the US in terms of treatment you will get treatment and taken care of, insurance for the most part here is more beneficial in outpatient issues or where you are in the situation of having a choice.

it’s no harm in letting your next of kin know the insurance details in case they need to help make decisions but doubt you need it going into a&e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Can get a road ID now for your garmin watch strap so can wear it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget to fill in the emergency details on your phone .

emergency services will look for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,572 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you are going in after a fall from your bike you will be looked after perfectly fine in the health system.

Ive quite an expensive health care plan via work and to be frank. It's been utterly useless when needed and I found myself digging into my pockets on more than several occasions and trying to navigate their claim system with various barriers in place. Private health care in this country works in a very specific narrow field and even top tier plans are not easy to get stuff covered.

For your usage I would keep stum and no you don't need to carry you card number around.

This - far more people with health insurance than there is semi-private/ private rooms/ private wards. Far more likely to be put in a public ward and the insurance company charged.

It really doesn't matter when queing for xray/ having stitches/ having a chest drain fitted!

I might change my health insurance plan which is currently admission-heavy coverage for the plan that pays for more every-day expenses like paying for annual dental etc.

Advertisement