Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recent experience bringing bicycles on Irish Rail?

• 20-08-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

I spoke to Irish rail this morning who said that some trains on the route I am looing at (Longford-Dublin) have space for 2-4 bicycles. Trying to book spaces for a group and wondering if anyone has any experience here? Can we stack bikes in the space?

I've used the search and seen some posts say that the spots can be full of luggage and you will have to stand with your bike. Are conductors sound enough to let you bring extra bikes?

Any input appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Most conductors are fairly flexible and will find room for a few extra bikes but it depends on the size of your group and whether others with bikes have shown up ahead of you. The racks will easily take an extra bike reversed between the two regulation bikes and some claim to have squeezed in up to 5 but I find that hard to imagine! Any panniers etc would obviously have to be removed and stored elsewhere. Booking the bike spaces seems to make very little difference as I have often booked and found the two spaces occupied with the bike owners (when tracked down) claiming that they also booked. My worst experience was with an extremely heavily laden touring bike wedged across both spaces and too heavy to rearrange. The owner was no help and claimed he tried to book at the station but was told it had to be done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Thanks, yeah there seem to be several similar stories here on boards from the past couple of years.

Group would be 6 people and the last thing I'd want is someone, or all of us getting left on the platform with their bike!

Looking into the possibility of having a van/small coach pick us up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

6 people would be no issue on the mainline service. You can get 3 bikes into a 2-bike space no bother. We got 4 road bikes and it wasn't difficult.

You would need to book all 4 spots, then get there early to ensure you get the spot and not another person who has also booked them. There doesn't seem to be a system to stop overbooking them.

I've been on the early morning one a few times where it was overbooked and the conductor was always accomodating. We left two bikes at the end of the train in the hallway beside the doors. We were just asked to keep an eye on them that they didn't block anyone getting on or off at any stop.

The Dublin-Longford train on a Saturday or Sunday morning is near empty in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

FWIW, last week three of us travelled with our bikes on Bus Eireann and GoBus from Schull to Cork to Dublin, no problem. Simply put them in the bottom of the buses.

We did book in advance where possible. And we did take the pedals off (makes getting bikes in and out, and stacking them, much easier. I was surprised how easy it was.

Private bus companies seem more prepared to actually commit to taking the bikes. BE are a bit more 'it all depends on how much luggage...etc etc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

BE tweeted recently that bikes would have to wait for all the other luggage to be stacked in - which would be fine if people don't mind their luggage having scrapey bikes on top - and fine if the rails weren't actually designed to hold bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also the €10 charge each way for bikes is very prohibitive on the bus. It often doubles the fare

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could you book a second seat and have the bike beside you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

GoBus is €5 for the bike, I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Commute up and down by Irish rail to Wexford with the bike almost weekly. Make sure it is booked, that way if others show up, you have that. Make sure you have your email as often there system forgets you booked, and if it is overcrowded the conductor will take the first ones to show with their booking, it apparently often doesn't print on the ticket anymore either. I am lucky in that I am typically one of the first on in Rosslare but last week 6 riders got turned away at Rosslare Strand. You will get away with being slightly over the number if it is a) super quiet or b) super busy so that the conductor can't walk down. I went all the way from Galway to Dublin standing with mine two years ago.

Advertisement