Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Queries on new Optilight roof windows

• 24-08-2021 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I recently got my attic converted and got some Optilight roof windows installed onto the existing tiled roof. I am currently at the snagging phase with 25% of the bill left to be paid. I have two queries:

1. I have noticed that if the windows are marginally opened on a wet day that the horizontal channel at the bottom of the windows (see photo with channel highlighted in red) quickly fills with water and it then starts spilling over and down the wall. When I then fully close the window, water continues to seep down the walls for a period of time and eventually stops when the water level in the channel has presumably dropped to a low level. I would have expected that I could avoid the rain getting in if the windows are only slightly opened, and would also expect zero water to get in after the windows have been closed - is this wishful thinking?
    2. See attached some other pics of the roof tiles. As you can see some of them are positioned at a slightly different angle to majority of the tiles, and as a result there is a noticeable gap under some of the tiles. The independent engineer has requested that the gaps are filled to avoid potential water egress and also avoid potential bird nesting. The builder claims that his work is standard and that the window manufacturer would not replace the window (if required in the future) if the tiles surrounding the window are permanently sealed up. Who is in the right here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

It seems the photos didn't attach to my first post. Will try here again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is there flashing at the side similar to the bottom of the window

Slava Ukrainii

I don't know as I can't see far enough underneath the tiles....

He seems to have butted some of the tiles on top of the metal flashing of the Optilight. Ideally when istalling these roof lights you try to place them so you are not cutting tiles. Windows are designed to be placed betwe a certain number of rows of tiles. There is a PVC flashing underneath these tiles similar to the bottom of the windwow. If there is the tiles should have been cut at the lowest part oof the tile profie as near to the Optilight as possible and sealed there ll around IMO he should not have butted high onto to the metal flashing. The flashing on the bottom should be folded over the tiles IMO and sealed onto them. I ignore anything he is saying about Optilaght warranty. He probablly dose not want to go back up onto the roof. There is 4 hours+plus work to fix it up possibly for two people.

When an optilight or a velux is even slightly open the seal is broken. Part of the winndow is down below roof level. You will have rain getting in. They are not really designed to be left open when you are not there.

By the way I am not a trades person or an engineer so it only my opinion however I found on youtube the manufacturer is immaterial as all makes of rooflight are installed similar. The Sunlux is a better video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCkrr6nmT4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCkrr6nmT4s

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks a mill for that Bass Reeves - that makes sense to me that the tiles should not be sitting on top of the metal flashing - i will ask him to cut the tiles back.

As for the water getting in, I can see your point that the "seal is broken" if the window is open. But based on my limited experience of roof windows in other buildings, I am very disappointed that it has been designed in such a way that water cannot drain out of the channel before it starts overspilling inwards. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Finally, what are your thoughts on the fact that water continues to seep in after the window has been closed? Surely this shouldn't happen??

• Advertisement

Check channel to see if there is a drainage hole if not you are bound to have overflow. Drainage channel is inside the seal. As you close the window the water has nowhere to go but down the wall .

As I said these are generally not to be open if you are not in the house.

YouTube is a good port of call if you are installing or fitting anything from a rubber seal on a fridge to something like that as they have great instructional videos

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks Bass Reeves. No, there is no drainage hole in the channel. Looks like I have hit a cul de sac like the water....

Advertisement