Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it cheeky to ask my landlord for a new hoover?

• 23-08-2021 6:59pm

I moved into a new place just over a month ago. Our rent is very reasonable and its a lovely place. But the hoover is extremely old (looks to be from the 80s or 90s) is huge, and has awful suction. It’s heavy and really hurts my back to use.

The hoover is on the property’s inventory, and I can’t tell whether it would be very cheeky to request a new one or if it would be ok to make a request based on the above?

Comments

Not cheeky to ask. If it's not working properly, you are well within your rights.

Maybe you could agree a budget with the LL and have one delivered and get the costs taken out of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

There is no requirement for a landlord to provide a vacuum cleaner, nor many other things that are usually provided or expected.

I dont know why tenants just dont buy their own stuff at the quality and price level they want/can afford, that way there is no complaints over how effective it is.

Only things legally required to be provided are white goods, and imo only fixed white goods should be required, cannot understand why a tenant wouldnt at least want to provide their own mattress, fridge, even washing machine.

Vacuum cleaners can be relatively inexpensive, a cheap fix would be just go out and buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I daresay he would just expense it against his tax bill in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Stick up a picture of the Hoover , it sounds like it could be a jet pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not cheeky in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not cheeky in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

I'd be happy that my tenant wanted to use it to keep the place clean!

If it really was that old I'd be happy enough to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Definitely not cheeky.

If it's listed on the rental/tenant agreement as an asset, go ahead. In the past, I've had to replace/upgrade for my tenants a variety of appliances that I'd listed as assets on the rental property.

If it was just in the place when you moved in, and there's no mention on your contract, then, there would be no obligation. Still, there's no harm in asking, especially if you're serious about staying for an extended period.

What? You expect a tenant to supply their own hoover? Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably best to ask about a vacuum cleaner instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You can't understand why a tenant wouldn't want to bring their own fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's a list of what's legally required in a rental and a vacuum cleaner isn't one. So if the Landlord doesn't supply a vacuum cleaner how is the tenant supposed to keep their home clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To chime in with my own experience, nah op, you won't get a new hoover. Only essentials are covered. Cooker, heating etc. Buy a new hoover and take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ElJaguar

Suck it up, OP😎

Lidls have a beauty / cordless Next mon.30th@ €69.99c 21.6v / simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

If the air quality of it is poor, as in it has a poor filter? or no filter? no harm asking for something safer.

Seriously????, 'something safer' ........... it's a hover we're talking about, not a sawn off shotgun/ jar of nitrogliserine

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And if the landlord doesn't supply lightbulbs, how is the tenant supposed to see at night? Ditto toilet paper and their cleaning their backside.

Seriously!

OP, you can use a broom+dustpan. Or buy your own vacuum cleaner, which meets your particular requirements around age, weight etc. Or if the landlord's one is actually broken, you can ask for a replacement. If it's fine but just not to your liking - tough.

Ah, in comes Bumble on the side of The Man again. Never gets old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You could ring them “ ohh btw that Hoover / vacuum is fûcked “ they’ll either say, ok buy a new one or they’ll replace it...

i wouldn’t expect a landlord to buy a Hoover though, they’ll be buying toothpaste for the tenants next.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I should have rented instead of buying.

The landlord is no more obliged to provide you with a vacuum cleaner than they are a jacuzzi, the one that's there is listed because it belongs to the landlord, don't like it, don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You didn't notice the fridge? LLs own fault if the place is left filthy through his stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Get your own hoover I'd say. A good one is a great investment, for your home and your back, and chances are he'll just replace his own hoover at home and give you his old one anyway. I can guarantee that's how the house ended up being furnished, with his second hand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Moved into my new place about 3 months ago. Hoover was goosed. Said to landlord. New one arrived within a week. I’d say it depends on the landlord.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

Most landlords would get you a new vacuum cleaner without hesitation.

Only the cheapskates would refuse and they'll generally drag their heals on any issue they think they can avoid dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes tenants are meant to provide their own vacuum cleaners. They are also obliged to keep the property clean. Love how people want better tenants' rights but balk when it applies the other way. A smart landlord restricts what they supply so they don't have silly stuff like this as tenants break and steal things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You can chance your arm alright.

But I remember when I moved into my first apartment I'd to buy my own hoover. Just buy a really good one and you'll own it for years. Still have mine over 15 years old not a bother.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If a hoover was provided and stops working, LL has to replace it.

Op, make sure you change filter and hoover bags, and unclog any material from the airway. If there's still a problem you should bring it to LL's attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I wouldn't expect a landlord to provide a new hoover. Best way to approach it is to mention to him that the current one isn't great, and ask would he prefer to replace it, or for you just to buy your own and take it with you when you leave. Ideally mention "I was looking at an x brand, they're about €y price".

Advertisement