Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energystore PLA / Politerm floor insulation

• 03-12-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

All,

We are preparing to insulate the ground floor slabs prior to putting in UFH pipework and a recommendation has been made to replace the proposed 150 MM Xtratherm with a newer product called Energystore PLA (or Politerm in mainland Europe).

This is a liquid screed which is quicker to do with less waste etc. Comparing the TC and U values against the Xtratherm and they are slightly higher / worse.

Has anyone real world experience of this type of insulation? Any pros to using this in comarison to Xtratherm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

ec_pc wrote: »
    All,

We are preparing to insulate the ground floor slabs prior to putting in UFH pipework and a recommendation has been made to replace the proposed 150 MM Xtratherm with a newer product called Energystore PLA (or Politerm in mainland Europe).

This is a liquid screed which is quicker to do with less waste etc. Comparing the TC and U values against the Xtratherm and they are slightly higher / worse.

Has anyone real world experience of this type of insulation? Any pros to using this in comarison to Xtratherm?

Who is recommending the change? Your engineer/architect or your contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Who is recommending the change? Your engineer/architect or your contractor?

My engineer on grounds of speed, easier to put in etc, less waste. Just concerned about it being a newish system and is it as effective as the traditional insulation.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All,

do not go near it unless it has proper certification (IAB, BBA cert etc) as tested in accordance with the standards for the measurement of thermal conductivity and thermal resistance are BS EN 12664, BS EN 12667 and BS EN 12939.

I checked the brocuhure and it states : Testing of the energystore TLA is done inaccordance with BS EN 16025 ‘Thermal and/orsound insulating products in building construction.Bound EPS ballastings’. http://energystoreltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/ews1132-labc-registered-detail-cert-energystore-tla.pdf

I checked Xtratherm and can only see a reference to BS EN 12667 for TC.

I don't fully understand all the BS EN assesmsents etc, so any advice is welcome. I was told the TLA will ensure a better layer of insulation as it will ensure no airgaps than can arise from the traditional insulation.

My energy consultant has checked with SEAI and it is an approved product for what its worth.

What's the TC value of this product?

I can't see an EPS bead mix concrete screed coming anywhere even close to PIR in insulation values.

• Advertisement

Xtratherm TC .022 U Value .12
    TLA TC .043 U value .15

is that TC value a concern?

TLA TC .043 U value .15

Completely

Going by that TC value, a quick off the top of my head calculation would be that you'd need twice the thickness of TLA to be comparable to PIR.

So the typical make up of 120 PIR under a 75 screed would have to be replaced with approx 250mm TLA screed.

Also, something that jumps out at me...

If you pour this over an UFH system you'd actually be withholding the heat from entering your rooms, as it would insulate away from the area you want to heat.

it will be poured on top of sub floor(?) slab, then ufh then traditional screed.

it will be poured on top of sub floor(?) slab, then ufh then traditional screed.

So:
    100 sub floor
    250 TLA
    75 screed

That's quite a massive build up.

I'm still lost as to the point of using a liquid screed under a traditional screed.

It sounds like this product is more suited to retrofit situations where heights are limited to include both insulation and screed, so they mix the insulation into the screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

My read is that it is not really a liquid screed as we normally understand it, but an insulated subfloor, which will then have the pipes clipped to it and the final 75 mm/or whatever/ screed laid on top.
    My energy consultant has checked with SEAI and it is an approved product for what its worth.
    Written?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

My read is that it is not really a liquid screed as we normally understand it, but an insulated subfloor, which will then have the pipes clipped to it and the final 75 mm/or whatever/ screed laid on top

It certainly would make more sense if it could be used instead of the structural sub floor.

Yes I should have been clearer. At the moment there is just a new cement subfloor in place. They tell me TLA goes on this and when it goes off the UFH pipes are laid and then trditional screed on top.

At the moment that void is about 210 MM high in total. Plans were for 150 MM Xtratherm with screed on top. So it seems based on the TC values for TLA that I will effectively be halving the TC values. Price is not a concern as both are more or less the same.

IT seems I am better sticking with Xtratherm based on much higher TC?

Your engineer should be able to a very simple calculation and tell you that you need X thickness of TLA to replace the Y thickness of PIR that was originally specced to meet whatever U value you need to.

Make your decision based upon the answer to that question.

Yes that is what I intend to do. Thanks very much for the guidance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

TLA TC .043 U value .15

http://www.edilteco.com/en/downloads/download/987/technical-data-sheet-politerm-r-blu

the thermal conductivity is shown as between 0.065 and 0.103 in their data sheet depending on how much cement is mixed with it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this structural engineer signing off in part L ?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Any experience or thoughts on the poured floor insulation since?

We are in the house since May 2020 and have no concerns over the decision to use this insulation at the time. Underfloor heating is very effective, all floor surfaces (wood/laminate/tiles) all feel warm to the touch when we have underfloor heating on. I turn the temp right down during the summer so it's effectively off. Installation was extremely quick and tidy with no mess.

What thickness of poured insulation did you use?

• Advertisement

Thank you. Would you mind Pming me the details of the company you used.

Advertisement