Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healers

• 23-08-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hello.

I went to an energy healer and since I've been in such a downer. They basically told me how much of a bad person I was and that I need to fix myself to show who I really am.

I tried to stand up for myself I was shot down and shouted at. I found the while thing quite upsetting.

I'm no worse than anyone and have some issues to work through but nothing dramatic.

Has anyone experienced this before and how do I build myself back up again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

What is an "energy healer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭2 fast

They're suppose to relieve blockages working with you usually through reiki, shamanic or Angel healing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Shouted at? Honestly stay away from that person, they very obviously could do with some serious healing themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You went to a bullsh*t artist when you were feeling down and they put the boot in to make a space of artificial relevance for themselves.

’angel healing’. FFS. They should all be locked up for fraud. 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Perhaps see a qualified therapist instead. I mean obviously there was something that drew you to booking the energy healer person, there must be some sense in you that you’re not quite happy. Talking it out might help.

• Advertisement

Thank you I think I needed to hear opinions.

I am going to counselling, I just said I'd try this to see what it's like!

Logically I know it's a good way to drum up further business by highlighting insecurities.

I just have to not leave it drag me down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Absolutely, do not let it drag you down. What a horrible thing for someone to do, under the guise of 'healing'.

Try to think, 'how much does that person's opinion matter to me?' And I bet it doesn't matter at all.

Talk it out with your counsellor, chalk it down as a bad experience, and put it behind you. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

All of this comes straight out of the con artist playbook OP. Have you ever looked up cold reading? That's what psychics and other people in that field use to make educated guesses about the person they're talking to. That includes people going on about angels and shamanic healing. In my book they are just as fake and dishonest as fortune tellers. Self-improvement can also fall into this category as well. It's what the Scientologists and their ilk use to reel people in, after offering them free personality tests. My guess is that this so-called healer was able to pick up unhappy vibes from you and they did a good job of upsetting you. Would you have gone back to them to improve yourself if they hadn't been so horrible to you? You're obviously looking for something if you went to them but honestly, steer clear of all that stuff that's "out there".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm sorry you experienced that Op. Healer or not, no genuine person would treat someone like that.

Go to a professional, your gp for starters.

Don't waste your money on these 'healers'. They could end up doing more harm than good.

Take care

Thank you all for you're lovely advice. It has helped a lot. I'll stick to conventional methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Dont mind dem gowls lad, they are gowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is typically bullying, manipulative and gas lighting behaviour. They convince you that you are a bad person that that they are the only ones that can help you. They don't seek to heal, they seek to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Do keep in mind that these sort of healers are self titled and don't have to pass any recognised exam or training process.Sounds like the healer has their own issues and shouldn't be let near anyone who's vulnerable and needing help.

Don't take it personally,move on and find someone better quallified to listen.Must have been a horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Just to add, this thread got me thinking about a few people from my town/circle of acquaintances who have moved into this line of work. To a man/woman, they're the sort of people who've never held down a steady job in their lives and couldn't lie straight in bed if they tried. One of these so-called healers only seemed to find these powers when his latest business went under. Another one went to school with me until she dropped out when she was 16. I only remember her as a troublemaker disinterested in sitting in class. Sorry for banging on about this but I thought it'd be helpful for you to know about the sort of person you met. Perhaps there are genuine people in this field (I remain sceptical) but it also attracts a lot of charlatans out for a quick buck.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You were conned by a chancer - luckily they appeared to be so bad at it, that you realised it straight away. But imagine the ones that aren't as aware as you are, the damage these charlatans do to their lives? Do those people a favour and don't fund the people who exploit them from now on.

I've a relative who reads cards - and is apparently quite successful, as she makes a lot of money at it. Now, she's lovely and sweet and I believe she genuinely believes that the thoughts that pop into her head during a reading are actual spiritual guidance, but they really aren't. Not long after another relative died, she was messaging his family with messages from beyond the grave. The only problem was that the deceased was the quietest skeptic you'd ever meet so it was rather odd that death turned them into a chatty soul who had nothing but woo messages about healing, so it didn't really ring true. I could tell though that she really believed those thoughts in her head were messages.

What she does have though is amazing recall, and subconsciously registers amazing minute details of things that she doesn't even realise. You could mention a certain day out and she would remember right down to the colour of the hair-clip her kid wore that day, and she'd be spot on. I think that kind of recall lends the credence to her readings because she will channel a message and mention a red coat or a photo in a silver frame or some other sort of detail and that detail being a provable fact lends an element of supposed truth to the rest of the message.

Her saving grace though is that she's all about positivity and kindness and doesn't pass on anything that she 'hears' that's upsetting or unpleasant, and she's quick to recommend proper counselling to vulnerable or bereaved people, rather than read their cards. Her clients are mainly well off people who dabble in getting readings as a kind of hobby rather than going to her seeking life-changing answers. So she's a bit unusual in that regard.

Either way though, it's important not to put stock in those sorts of things. It's fine for a laugh but for anyone looking for answers in their lives, any of these woo folk won't give it. At best, the better ones might suggest you do something that prompts you to step outside of your comfort zone and do something new. For example, they might tell you that they see you travelling to Asia in the next year or so. A believer focuses on that, maybe starts researching a trip they would not have otherwise had the confidence to plan for themselves, saving money and off they go. But all it was, was a suggestion which the client themselves chose to explore and make happen for themselves rather than any destiny or fate. Ditto the one who tells you that a dark haired person is your soulmate - you aren't going to bother going on dates with fair haired people so statistically when you do meet someone and it becomes serious, they are likely to be dark haired because that's the only ones you've spent time with so you've fulfilled your own prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

You tried something that you thought might be an addition to what you’re doing already (counselling). So don’t bring yourself down about trying it out.

As you’ve found out though, there are some people out there who prey on those seeking help. It’s awful that you were made to feel bad about yourself. I don’t believe there’s any regulations governing people who claim to ‘heal’ people, ie any eejit or money grabber can claim to be a ‘healer’. I do think that counselling is better regulated, but I still think it’s better to check out their accreditation first.

I hope you’re feeling ok after your bad experience. That sounds really horrible - almost like they were running you down to make you feel like you needed them and their (paid) ‘healing’.

PS: I know this isn’t very grown up, but I’d be tempted to tell them to shove their ‘angel’ up their behind if they have your number and contact you again about how you “need” sessions with them.

Advertisement