Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a bad time to get back into Fullbore Rifle Shooting?

Options
  • 20-08-2021 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All,

I used to shoot Centrefire rifle 15 or more years ago, but gave it up due to work/family/time commitments. I mostly shoot clays now, but fancy a return to rifle shooting. I used to shoot a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 at MNSCI, and am thinking of getting back into it. My question is - with the looming lead-ban am I mad to consider investment in a rifle like a 6.5x55 or Creedmoor, as I might "run out of time" and find myself with a rifle that doesn't like the limited selection of all-copper monolithic bullets and factory loads. I always regret selling that rifle, and with Lapua Scenar ammunition it was a tack driver.

I would appreciate opinions.

Cheers,

CyclopsCork

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I may be wrong, so someone correct me, but the lead ban (as bad as it is) is targeted at wetland and other such regions. IOW its not a complete ban on the use of lead only in certain areas. I'm sure that ranges, as they are covered by the EPA, are exempt from such limitations/restrictions.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

The lead ban covers everywhere for civilian use except for indoor ranges. Wetlands has nothing to do with it any more and even if it did, almost the entire country can be considered a wetland. The only hope we have is that there is a proposed derogation that will enable the continued use of lead ammunition where control measures are put into place to prevent the lead entering the environment. For rifle ranges the proposal is to have at bare minimum, 90% lead recovery (via bullet traps or other means). This is only a proposal and a complete and total ban could still be put in place by the time the final thing is drafted and "voted" on (read rubber stamped).

"In simple terms, ECHA’s proposal is the following:

1. Lead sold and used in hunting, sports shooting and other outdoor shooting:

·       ban on the sale and use of lead gunshot (with a five-year transition period). As current Olympic rules specify the use of lead ammunition for certain disciplines, ECHA also considered an optional derogation for use of lead gunshot for sports shooting only under strict conditions, i.e. when releases to the environment are minimised.

·       ban on the use of lead in bullets and other projectiles (small calibre: five-year; large calibre: 18-month transition periods). Derogations for continued use if releases to the environment are minimised, i.e. when sports shooting ranges are equipped with bullet traps."

https://echa.europa.eu/-/towards-sustainable-outdoor-shooting-and-fishing-echa-proposes-restrictions-on-lead-use

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

When iS a good time to do anything with shooting in Ireland?

Heck! Just get it, shoot it and see how things progress with the lead ban? It's being challenged by Firearms United in the European courts, and the way the EU is handling it so far,is they want it gone and quickly!!! So perhaps they have something to worry about? There must be others out there with the same rifle,that are shooting lead free ammo on the interweb that can advise on what ammo can be used? 😃 Life is too short anymore to be thinking "what if?"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

" Life is too short anymore to be thinking "what if?" "

I recently got a .22 target rifle on that premise. If they're going to ban lead and destroy shooting then I may as well try it now before it's too late. Still hoping it won't come to that however. It's a "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As the lads above said at this point is more a case of enjoy it while you can rather than sit back wondering if you should, and loose out on it regardless.

With the advancements in bullet design and newer technoologies I'd be surprised if a "work around" is not forthcoing, sooner rather than later.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CyclopsCork

Thanks to all for your comments. You are so right - you only live once. I hadn't thought of it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The lead bans may happen. In life if we put off things because of uncertainties in the future we'd never do anything.

Just get a popular calibre and the ammo manufacturers will be working hard to produce suitable non lead ammunition.

Enjoy the sport while we have it and may it continue long into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The FUN challenge?

Nothing much more than what I've posted or that's been reported in all4shooters.com over the last few months. The EU legal dept has been trying to get it dismissed on being a frivolous or non complying with protocol writ....but that's the last I've heard of it so far.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement