Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin R10

• 03-08-2021 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Anyone taking the plunge? Looks like it'll be released this week but reviews are few and far between so far. There's one American guy on YouTube who's been thorough enough but seems more like a salesman than a reviewer.

If it delivers anything close to what it's promising then it looks like great value at the price point.

Do ye reckon this would be a genuine alternative to the likes of Mevo+ at 1/3 of the price? Would love a Rick Shiels review before making a decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm very tempted, i have a PRGR but would prefer this. I think there will be plenty more reviews once its near the release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

it looks like it could be a game changer. I know Shiels was on about testing it on his podcast but might not get his hands on it till it comes out in UK.

If it does what it says it does could be a lovely price.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Looks superb, was going to get a rapsodo for the winter but this looks better

https://golfstead.com/garmin-approach-r10-launch-monitor-review

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Looks like it cant register swing sticks at the minute but plans the change that. If that happens I think it will it will tick the box for everyone's needs.

I was going g to get PRGR but gona hold out and see what this is like. Looks amazing at the price but will be keen the accuracy compared to GCquad or trackman.

• Advertisement

How come he is the only person to have any reviews so far? Seems strange to only give one person a demo model

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭mitchelsontour

I think he as a connection with a garmin retailer that allowed him have a beta model to test.

Looking at it for indoor use, course graphics are a bit Nintendo Wii like but the price point is good.

I would be more interested in for the range. But if I was setting up at home I'd go down the e6 connect route rather than the home tee hero or whatever it called

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Just saw a guy on YouTube using the r10 with E6 mobile projected

That's me sold on it.

Post edited by mitchelsontour on

Unfortunately the feedback on the Garmin forum isn't great thus far. Be interesting to see what updates come from it but accuracy seems a big problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Foresight and Bushnell have their offering coming out towards the end of the year. Probably to rival the skytrak price range. The reports on the R10 are poor from the youtube reviews so far very inaccurate

The youtube videos i have watched look really positive for the most part. i'll check out the Garmin forums

Mine arrived at the weekend, gave it a quick go today

Really impressed, distances were very accurate, really easy to use and set up, played the front 9 at augusta, will give it a proper spin tomorrow but signs are really positive so far

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Just got mine as well and had a few swings with it on the driving range. Seems decent so far but it didn't register a fair few shots. Probably 30% of them were missed. In fairness though I ham fisted a setup together and didn't measure distance between me and the net, or me and the device so I'll give it a proper go later.

Do you need to subscribe to Garmin golf to play the courses? It's offering me a 30 day trial but I want to save that for when I figure out how to use it properly!

Yeah sign up for the month free trial and you get the courses. I downloaded augusta and played it a couple of times, unsurprisingly it's really hard

I've had 2 sessions with it

First one was day time, set up properly and i think it registered every single shot, distance and shape was pretty bang on

Second time was at night and ended up playing with the set up a lot, had an issue with plenty of shots not registering and some of the longer irons being very short. The woods in this session were absolutely bang on though. Think it was because the divice was on the ground and I was elevated on a matt

To update on this after another 4 sessions. The range I went to at night didn't have great lighting or great balls, went to a better range and the device is constantly bang on. Doesn't fail to register a shot, distances and shape are pretty accurate. The home tee hero is great too

Absolutely brilliant device

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Anybody got of experience of using this indoors to work on a net over the winter?

Looking really to work on reducing my Driver snaphook and hoping this would help in regards to feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

If it's a snap hook then you don't need a launch monitor 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Found a voucher that was going to start expiring so bit the bullet and put it towards a R10.

Setting up was a doddle.

Wouldn't work though, no swings at all registering. RTFM! it wasn't in ready mode, off and on got her going.

A few whacks at the range and I collated a little data. Then I headed off to Florida and played Sawgrass 😎

First impressions is that it is good but certainly not a trackman. I could see the balls on screen in general tracked the actual ball, but a few were wrong.

Distance was not good, I know my game well enough and it was clear a lot were coming up short on the R10 to where they really finished.

But I'm not really up to speed on what all the data means. So my gripe is that there is no information at all from Garmin, either included, within the app nor on their website as to how to read the information provided. I wouldn't expect the best guide, but at least give us something that can help you see where your numbers are not stacking up!

• Advertisement

Anyone got a net they use with theirs in back garden?

Flightscope mevo+ getting great reviews but more expensive

yea, nearly 4 times the price so not really comparative

I haven't used the R10 much since I got it. I was using it a little bit out my back garden and into a net. It registered most shots but I didn't take the time to set it up/calibrate it properly.

However, I've just moved house and am working on a little project so all that is about to change.

Caveat - I'm an 18 handicapper so you won't get much meaningful data out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

How thick is that mat?

Can't imaging hitting balls off a thin mat ontop of a concrete floor would be good for a club. Especially if you take a divot

It's a driving range mat. Probably an inch thick. The roll directly in front of the screen is just a cheap yoke I picked up to see if it would look okay around the actual mat. It doesn't

How you getting on with this? Did you get it set up with a net outside?

I am in a similar boat I have €350 worth of vouchers and trying to decide between one of these and the new Stealth driver

just the few times at range and found it great

distances are off, but other than that its pretty good. i need to dedicate some time to figuring it all out but its been a busy month or 2.

back garden is in a jock and i only picked a net up the other day, so hopefully will get to try it out at the weekend

Yeh I still see on the reviews on their forum that distances is an issue for a lot of people.

Hopefully with the updates they can address it

• Advertisement

Finally got the R10 set up in my garage and have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Distances are pretty spot on for me as far as I know (I'm a high handicapper so there's a lot of inconsistency there) but when I hit the ball well it's going the distance I'd expect it to.

It seems pretty good at picking up my bad shots as well so I don't think I'm getting a lot of false information out of it.

Loving it - I'm using it with Awesome Golf software because the Home Tee Hero one doesn't have landscape mode for Android yet.

Advertisement