Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massey ferguson 290 hydraulic noise

Options
  • 21-08-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi , I have a massey ferguson 290 with an independent pto. Today while traveling along the road I could hear a hydraulic noise , as if I had the lift arms up full height for hitch release. The system sounded under pressure. The lift arms were down and pto off. When I returned home I left if for awhile and when I went back to it it's doing the same , but if I turn on the pto it stops and sounds normal again. Also while traveling down the road with the lift arms half way , they will rise up full height by themselves and put the system under pressure. Any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Could one of the spool valves be stuck in a pumping position?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

No checked the tipping pipe and it's not pumping . Tractor only has 2 tipping pipes which are controlled by a lever under seat and then the position lever on your right.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

It sounds like the pump is working away all the time for some reason. I wonder if you connected something to the tipping pipe and set the lever under the seat for tipping, would it raise the ram without touching the lever on your right?

If all levers are in the correct position, including the draft control lever, it sounds like it's something internal. Maybe something stuck in the pump holding a valve open?

Yeah I tried it with a trailer plugged into the tipping pipe , works ok , doesn't tip until I push the lever and let's it up and down normally.

Any ideas as to why the pto would change it whether it's engaged or disengaged.

Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

this Is from my experience with a different hydraulic system but may help

is there a bypass valve on the hydraulics that allows pressure off the pump when your not using any of the generated pressure? This could be stuck.

when you operate the pto it’s releasing the pressure so you don’t hear the pump straining.

• Advertisement

Not sure on this if I'm honest , but the pto uses hydraulic pressure to engage the pto break , so maybe it dumps it to engage pto . Which if it did would sound like you could be right. How would I check the bypass or relief valve.

Advertisement