Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do most Irish people not have basic civics education ?

Options
  • 21-08-2021 2:19pm

I see a lot of people saying on the journal dot ie etc that the current government is "unelected" and "Illegal"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I wouldn’t worry about it. You see it all over the internet. A load of tosh but it keeps a few people happy

Just a note, they are a nasty wee bunch, best to not comment or you are seen as the enemy

So by their logic FF would have been in every single government until 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are here too, some posters who claim SF "won" the election and should be in power. The last party that managed to bulldoze its way to power when they were the largest party but not a majority was in Germany in the 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Blueshirts comparing other parties with Nazi's, I've seen it all now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Every single election I am always amazed at how many journalists writing about it aren't entirely sure how the whole thing works. And to be honest I'd say plenty of people are slightly in the dark as it isn't laid out clearly anywhere.

Stuff like

• how does numbered voting preferences work
    • Does the party with the largest percentage of votes get first dibs on forming a coalition government or can several smaller parties do it before them
    • how long can the country exist in limbo when the parties take ages to form a coalition, and what happens if simply no grouping can be forged, is there a time limit before another election would be called

I don't know the answer to the third one myself, and despite the fact we were, what, five or so months without a new government last year, nobody in the media bothered explaining- probably because they didn't know themselves.

Most big events have a sort of explainer written about them, yet elections never do.

• Advertisement

It seems to me from last years experience that an outgoing government could go a whole 5 year term if the opposition were to obstain on budgets. The constitution has no provision on what to do in a completely hung dail situation, obviously when Dav and co wrote it, they never saw the day when the largest party would have less than one 3rd of the seats.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

A 'civics' education!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Belgium went for years without a government.

I think the argument for the populist voters goes something like... Both FG and FF said they'd not go into government with each other pre-election so doing so post election negates the government's legitimacy. If you are 5 years of age it could be a legitimate argument.

Whereas if the populist parties put their policies in place we'd be governed by the IMF in a few years. That might sound appealing 😀 but we'd have to go through hell first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No need to add the "civics" specifier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So much for the 'easy' subject CSPE. They don't even know the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

CSPE wasn't introduced till after my Junior Cert and I'm not sure if it's still there or has been replaced.

I'm not sure a lot of people properly understand the PR voting system or the role of the President.

Voters have a responsibilty too, it doesn't take much to have a read of the constitution or inform themselves on our government systems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CSPE was compulsory in schools 1997 to 2019. That covers many young adults. Of course, it was popular to sneer at it and treat it as a joke subject (and not just among the students).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

True. During the Belfast Rape Trial, I lost count of the amount of people on Twitter, and even here, who thought that Jackson et al were being tried under Irish Law and in this legal jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Wasn't it FF hassled for not giving more handouts and such by FG, brought in the IMF?

What's 'populism' exactly? Would it be FF saying the boom would get boomier or FG saying an end to cronyism?

Nobody more dishonest and populist than FF/FG IMO.

I've noticed recently a few of the comments but they're either made by bot accounts or are not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sure you see the same thing with people demanding Michael D not sign certain legislation or that he should disband the Dail because of some random issue, he is severely limited on his power to do either by the consitution as our presidents main purpose when it comes to this area is as a constitutional brake, too many people think its similar to the US presidential powers. Then theres all the calls for having a referendum on this or that tiny issue, you ask them how or why we should change our constitution for this issue and you get a blank stare back and them asking why we need to change our constitution when they are only calling for a referendum to change the law.....

Yep I remember when the water charges bill was passed, you had the AAA-PBP fools and others saying that M.D Higgins should refer the legislation to the supreme court😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement