Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations 25k Large Car

Options
  • 21-08-2021 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a car/SUV/jeep and budget is 25k

Needs to have a large boot and take a roof rack and trailer hitch

I don't do a lot of miles during the week as I WFH mostly (will change in a few months) and work is about 15k from the house but on weekends will do a 100km round trip so not sure if diesel will give me trouble with this driving?

What cars would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

No personal experience but was toying with the idea of replacing mine. Diesel doesn't suit me and there's very limited choice of 2nd hand petrols but one option that was ticking a lot of boxes was the Merc C350 Estate, 2.0 petrol PHEV. Should get at least one leg of your commute in full electric mode and for longer journeys you'd have the standard petrol. Have you the facility to get a charge point installed at home or any at work that would assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the SUVs won't have a huge boot as they are based on mid sized hatchbacks. Big SUVs will normally attract expensive motor tax and 25k means going back a good few years for one. A good estate car sounds like it will do the job best.

The obligatory Octavia comes to mind:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2854606

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Havent considered the Merc but will have a look. I can install a charge point at home. How does the elec charge work put charging the PHEV cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Yeah the mid sized SUVs won't cut it as the boot isn't much bigger than my current car.

Not a fan of the Octavia, great reliable cars for sure but not my cup of tea looks wise.

What would be the best choice between a 2017/2018 Xtrail, Outlander or Honda CRV all diesel models. They are all roughly same price and range between 21-25k with decent enough mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The skoda suberb Estate or mondeo Estate are both massive!

I had an a6 estate and it was not great compared to both of the above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If a big saloon would suit you the Toyota Camry is worth a look.

Proven Hybrid technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are the 2019 camry after dropping to 25k now?

Was 2019 a requirement ?

2019 Camrys are asking a bit more than his budget but imports 2015 to 2018 are in reach.

You never know though with no trade in and ready cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP states they need a big boot, the Camry has a typical saloon type boot which is deep but has a narrow opening. Add to that the raised boot floor to accommodate the batteries and they become even less practical for lugging stuff other than a suitcase or two.

The boot is big but it's no antique dealers car.

Looking back at the original post I see he wants a towbar as well.

Maybe scratch the Camry and go for a Superb estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Volvo V90 2018 or maybe 2019. One of the best looking big estate cars going, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Advertisement