Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas markets (abroad)

• 20-08-2021 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭

Anyone planning to go away to Christmas markets this year? There seems to be a fair bit of uncertainty around travel and covid etc.

myself and the wife are fully vaccinated and have the cert etc. Herself would like to visit a nice market this year. Thinking something like Berlin. Are we mad? is anyone else booking now?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We have loved going to a few Christmas markets as a weekend getaway in the past but OH is not interested in travel with all the testing and certs etc. even though we are both fully vaccinated and have our Covid certs. We might see closer to the time rather than booking now (if it was up to me, I probably would book now!)

I think the furthest we'll be going is to Belfast this year, their market is a nice one, closest to the real thing you'll get here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I think we might do the same this year. We usually do a day trip to the outlets in Banbridge however thinking that over night in Belfast and take in the markets might be a nice change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm thinking the same thing- Belfast is a nice middle ground without having to have PCR tests, show certs at airport security etc... Must check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Belfast is a great spot anyway, I was in college up there so got to know it well back then & head up regularly ever since. The christmas market in Donegal Square (assume its still there!? or have they moved it??) is great though, last time I was there it was a real pure Christmas buzz. The few drinks afterwards didn't hurt either 😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

We got to belfast every year with the kids for an overnight and a visit to the city hall market. Wasn't on last year unfortunately but we booked our hotel during the summer for this December, delighted to hear it's going ahead. We did have a notion of trying for a mainland Europe market but not worth the hassle this year. The belfast one is lovely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Off to Belgium this December for a Christmas market. Our first time going to one abroad, can't wait.

Oh, sounds lovely, Smell the Glove. Make sure you take pics! 🎄

The Valkenburg Christmas Market in South Holland, down near Maastricht and beside the Belgian border is amazing- the market is in the caves under the town, so doesn't matter if it's raining/snowing/freezing! I went a few years ago and the whole place is gorgeous at Christmas. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Sounds unbelievable. I'll have to Google that now! Off to Gent ourselves, it looks lovely over there at Christmastime.

It's such a shame we can't do Christmas markets in this country! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Highly recommend Prague for Xmas markets. Went couple of years ago. Very cheap city. Lots to see and do.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Belfast is good choice. I'll start looking into it. Anyone recommend any hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i've booked cologne. i love the German take on the markets - the sights, the food and the atmosphere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No it is still there in the grounds of City Hall as far as I know. Unless they move to a more spaced out location but I can't see that happening.

This sounds absolutely amazing Posy, I'll have to look it up. I know the cold and stopping for a Gluhwein or a Glug is all part of it but someof them can be bitterly cold...in a cave sounds perfect!

We spent one evening at the markets in Cologne the year we went to Dusseldorf, and they were stunning. Incredibly busy to the point we left early (on a train back to Dusseldorf) but you could see why it was so popular!

Agree. Its the perfect spot for it. Would be a shame if they had to move it elsewhere.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I visited those a few years ago, and loved every minute! There are so many different markets dotted around the city. They all sell quite similar products, but all have a different feel about them. The main one, beside the Cathedral does quite very busy though. I'd love to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Will we not get run out as where from the South and most unionist live there

No of course not, that is a myth. I have been to Belfast many times over the past 15 years or more and never had an ounce of trouble or feeling I was going to be 'run out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Good because I've already been attacked up here for being Irish it's awful

There is crime in Belfast, like any city, but if you're in the centre and don't wander into any area festooned with Union Jacks, you should be fine! I'm sorry you hear you had a bad experience before, it's certainly not the norm.

• Advertisement

Lived up there for 3 years, most definitely not the norm at all. Use your common sense as Posy described and you'll be as safe as you would be in any city.

I have never had an issue in Belfast and been visiting several times a year for a lot of years.

Personally, we go cheap and cheerful. Premier Inn all the way. Beds always super comfy, book room only and breakfast at the George's market if a weekend. Weve two rooms booked this year for the 5 of us, got a Friday night for £34 per room.

Oh, that's good value!

If you want fancy, I imagine the Europa would be your best bet. 😁

Thanks guys will have a look.

Similar to others, have been going 'up north' for years (have family up there) and have never had any trouble anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

We've booked Munich! Possibly a mad idea but we thought we'd chance it. Hotel is free cancellation and flights where fairly cheap if we do have to cancel. Really hope to go though, missed Christmas markets last year! Berlin markets are great, we were there two years ago. We also went to a thing called Christmas Garden Berlin, it was so nice. Lots of light installations and a mini market in a park. If you go this year you should see if that's on as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Now this looks class.

I've been to Edinburgh at Christmas and it's just gorgeous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I used to live in Scotland and went to Edinburgh every Christmas for the markets and atmosphere. It's wonderful. Highly recommended. You'll get cheap flights but accommodation can be dear enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Giving this a bit of a bump

Considering going to Cologne

If anyone has been before, do they have any accomadation recommendations?

AirBnB pricey enough but with Mrs Frash + 4 kids I think it's the best option

Advertisement