Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N17 - Knock to Collooney [design & planning underway]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    In fairness, if they are ringing people up and asking them to have a look, as well as putting out on various platforms, I dont think there is much more they can do to make people aware of it. Word of mouth is always a good way for it to spread so you mentioning it to people can only be good.
    A website, local radio and newspapers, word of mouth, but above all, (and despise it as I do) Facebook is a great way to spread the news.

Whenever some event is going on in my area, since I'm not on Facebook, how I find out is someone telling me about it. When I ask how they found out, Facebook is usually the answer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Somewhat off topic, but EirGrid want to build a powerline connecting Ballina with Ballaghaderreen, roughly east-west. These lines are basically crossing all the route options for the N17 upgrade. If you're submitting an observation on the N17, then take a look at the route options to see if they require a response too.

You can find them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ruralaf

Hey does anyone know if there is a way to view the submissions made already submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

ruralaf wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if there is a way to view the submissions made already submitted?

Not directly, but you'll be able to get the gist of them from the next phase report, which will discuss the feedback they received

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stray creditor

There should be dual carrigeway from Tuam to Collooney skirting [shortest distance] Dunmore, Ballyhaunis and Ballaghderreen, what is being proposed is a waste of time and money. Better to do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There should be dual carrigeway from Tuam to Collooney skirting [shortest distance] Dunmore, Ballyhaunis and Ballaghderreen, what is being proposed is a waste of time and money. Better to do it right.

Such a route wouldn't work for journeys between most of Mayo and Galway or Sligo. Existing routes would continue to be used which defeats the purpose, particularly of a dual carriageway. You are also going through awful boggy land with such a route which would likely cost more even if shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

The point of these roads is never explicitly about the point to point utility @stray. Your suggested route would capture a lot less traffic than the proposed one, and as Pete said the ground conditions probably eat up any 'saving' even if the projected AADT justified such a route.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Next phase of this will be shown next month, apparently. Broadly on time, according to the schedule anyway.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Yes, the notice is up on the official website now.

See here, says much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jobhunter1953

what do people think the preferred route will be? can't imagine alot of these are feasible..

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Time will tell. I'd say to the west of Charlestown to get the biggest population routes from Mayo, then maybe stay West of Tubbercurry because its better land with plenty of rock and sand compared to the boggy Eastern side that would have more environmental impacts. I'm not sure what will happen at Collooney, maybe one of the North west routes which will make an interesting junction. I live on a on one of the routes and have land on a few of the routes so it will probably affect me in some way. I also have most my family living on various route options

Screenshot-20210605-102225-Chrome.jpg

I was looking at this map of sensitive areas in Co. Sligo. I wonder will this have a major impact on the route chosen?

"To inform development management, conservation and tourism infrastructure decisions in County Sligo in order to sustain the habitats, ecological processes and functions necessary to maintain biodiversit"

New update is up on the n17knocktocollooney website, they're doing final checks on the chosen routes before publishing them on the 20th August.

We should know tomorrow on the final routes

Seems they got sick of me spamming the refresh button and posted when the update is going live: 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hangar18_

And the site is down

Their feeble attempts to trick me into stopping smashing the refresh button didn't work, and now their site has crashed.

Muhahahaha.......

Guessing that they really underestimated the number of people interested in this.

• Advertisement

There is massive interest in this project. You think they would have the website ready for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭friedcircuits

Ah jaysus its like trying to log into college website to get exam results. Everyone together and.........CRASH!

Probably not used to provisioning for surges like this. They could look at the history of the site and project forward from that, but that'd give a really low requirement. If they're smart, they'll be on to Blacknight right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭timmyntc

haha cant blame them - a website like that wouldnt get 10 hits a day for the most part.

When someone gets in can ye post the details of route selection here?

It's working now but very slow

Just looked at the new map and it's not good for me

Nothing new on it yet though, not that I can see

It looks the same - did they say 3PM and everyone swarmed on it and no changes yet?

Nope sorry it is different, they took out some of the eastern options.

Guessing again, but they had everything ready for 3, but then the surge of people hitting the site has destroyed their ability to press the go live button.

• Advertisement

Old and New Maps as far as I can see.

Advertisement