Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surprise! Quake Remastered appears from nowhere

Options
  • 19-08-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,622 ✭✭✭✭

Boards’ oldest forum and its namesake game are back - and in 4K, widescreen support, the expansions and other relevant junk and stuff

This came kinda out of nowhere I guess? It is $9.99 - and free if you already owned a copy of quake on a digital platform like Steam. It is available on all major platforms including Nintendo Switch, with Xbox etc supporting 120 FPS

Happy fragging!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just played through the shareware episode there. It's still fantastic. It's amazing how much good level design can elevate a game, only thing modern that comes close is Dusk or Amid Evil.

Awesome port as well, runs like a dream and the animation interpolation means the enemies are not longer animated with jerky key frames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have it on Xbox via the subscription but I bought it for the Switch as well because it's great to play away from the TV.

To think I needed a £2500 PC to play it in '96!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ran at 320x240 on my p100. I don't dare even think what the fps was!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah, the game that introduced me to upgrading PC components. I still remember opening up my AST desktop pc, to install my shiny new Pure3d card.

and promptly slicing the tips of 8 fingers on the razor sharp case as i attempted to gain access to the internals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Obviously should have posted this on the quake board... (/s)

• Advertisement

Got through the shareware stages in less than an hour.

I'd like to say it was muscle memory but some of the later levels I was only vaguely remembered. The levels just flow together so well. Good level design really is a lost art these days and you can really tell ID went to town with these levels making the most of the 3D environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what's the multiplayer like. It's been years and years since I played this. First multiplayer game I played , on the UL computers

Not tried it on the new remaster but it used to be in regular rotation with me and my mates. It holds up. It's super fast and really skill based with some classic maps. I'd say it's just as much fun as it's ever been if the netcode is good.

Advertisement