Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar XE - wise buy?

• 18-08-2021 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

Looking replace my current car when it fails its annual test - body is not in great condition.

I like the look of the Jaguar XE as a replacement, probably with the diesel engine, but not fully decided. However, I've been reading up on them and it seems that their Ingenium engines are not all that great. Is this really the case or is it just the noisy minority who been unlucky or didn't service them correctly?

What would be a decent alternative - I was hoping to avoid Audi & BMW. Looking for a mid sized comfortable wagon for mainly motorway driving.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Each to their own, but I'd have 2 problems with the XE you're thinking about

1. Reliability (as in, the lack of it)
    2. It's a diesel (probably)

Avoid both the above by buying a Lexus IS300H:

1. Do a search, Lexus and the IS300H regularly top reliability surveys
    2. It's not a diesel

You won't get the same fuel consumption in the Lexus but it won't be far behind. Any extra money you spend on fuel will pale into insignificance compared to the cost of unreliability of the Jag.

Full disclosure: I will admit that I am biased - towards Lexus, away from Jags/LRs/RRs and specifically diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Diesel doesn't bother me. Reliability does though. What issues are you aware of?

Lexus is a brand I didn't think off, but the prices are beyond what I'd like to pay. Was looking to pay around £10k to pick up something from UK as I'm based in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The Jaguar XE was rated 71st out of the top 100 cars in our 2019 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey:

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/jaguar/xe/reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What did you buy in the end & how did you find it?

Asking as I'm in a similar boat. Was looking at Skoda Octavia style 2017, Mazda 6, Jag XE, BMW3, Merc C class-budget €15-€17k

Mazda 6 sporty body, lovely interior but some say the diesels had serious reliability issues.

Jag lovely but just read this evening about low reliability rating (as mentioned above)

BMW & Merc-within budget am restricted to high mileage.

Skoda - nice, sensible, solid, reliable. I'd just like something with slightly more style/wow/pizzazz but struggling.

Lexus IS300H-don't like the interior, find the controls old looking. Same for Volvo V60

Mondeo-not old looking interior but just don't like the style of interior.

Might end up with the Skoda (for now). Would have jumped on a Mazda or Jag if reliable. Half considering going for a Mazda anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Petrol Mazda 6 ?

I have the older model for the last six years and I'm very happy with it , brake pads and disks are the only weakness I have found but I work on the car myself and it's not cost me much at all.

I will upgrade for the newer model when the time comes although it's not easy find a petrol one here unless you buy new.

I can only see 1 petrol Mazda 6 from 2015/6/7 and its up North, ends up being expensive to bring it south.

I'd very happily buy 1 if I could, want to sell yours?

@dinneenp - not bought anything yet. Trying to get current car through annual test to buy me some time to get something. I actually was looking at the Lexus IS300h as an option. CVT box doesn't really bother me, although the high transmission tunnel in the rear makes it essentially a 4 seater. I do a bit of city driving too, so the hybrid might be useful. Would the GS300h not be of interest to you?

On another forum I was told to look at the Infiniti Q50. Apparently they use Merc running gear. Might not have the pizzazz you are looking for though. Another option was the Skoda you mention above.

On the subject of interiors I'd like something with a brighter interior - all black is very enclosing.

So, at the minute, my car is up for inspection in a months time. The chassis is basically rotten and needed work for the last couple of inspections to get through. I really don't fancy a German car - I prefer something a bit leftfield. I could still got for a hatchback - if I could get something that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was close enough to buying an xe afew weeks ago. Good few getting imported from the uk still. Lovely car, the 180bhp 2l diesel engine and 8speed auto box were lovely to drive, its a good 5 to 8k cheaper than any sort of equivalent spec 3 series etc, however spilt rear folding seats are optional (wasn't in the one I wanted), and saloon with a crap boot opening space really was too much a backwards step for me after coming from a hatchback Leon ha. So I'm now on the lookout for a 4 series or a5 saloon. Whatever extra I pay I think I'll save it in lower depreciation and easier to sell on.

Any thoughts on this please?

Has a full Jag service history, it's old/2015 but mileage is low. (I prefer the interior of the XE to the XF)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xe-2015-2-0-d-privilegenavfshelec-seats/27518729

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Those Jags are dirtboxes. You've been advised accordingly but you seem set on it. Nothing like shelling out 16k on a heap to learn the lesson.

What exactly do you mean by 'dirtbox'? Just unreliable or something more? I'm not fully set on it but not ruling it out. I spoke to a mechanic who said (like many others) don't touch a 15/16 Mazda diesel but wasn't negative about Jags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Someone i know on Social media had a current model XF with one of the 2 litre diesel engines.

Needed a replacement engine but the replacement engine didn't run right.

I see some of the Land Rovers with same engines having DPF issues.

If I wanted a premium brand 2 litre diesel saloon I'd probably have a B9 Audi A4 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Clarification - I mean I see reports of Land Rover DPF issues on the same engine family - online.

Not that I'm seeing the cars in real life

I've read that there are 'less' issues with the petrol versions. However, interior quality and fitment is badly lacking and numerous electrical problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭HBC08

I test drove one a few months ago,I was pretty underwhelmed, it felt at bit small and just not that exciting. I've since been told by a few people who know these kind of things to stay away from the 2l diesel Jag engines ,so that's the XF and newer model XF

First world problem but why can't the brands I want be reliable. Beginning to look at Audi A4s now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Have a look at the import hybrid Camrys, go for around the same as that Jag and 10 times the car, or as mentioned previously for a bit more a similar vintage IS200H.

Anyone know much about the Infiniti Q50? Looking at it alongside the IS300h - if current car doesn't go through the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Infinity is a posh brand of Nissan similar to Lexus but not on the same level. If it's diesel then it uses the old Mercedes 2.1 litre unit. I don't think Infinity were officially sold in Ireland or at least they never told anyone they did. My main concern would be given how scarce they are here how easy would it be to source parts as well as body panels.

• Advertisement

So I really like the Jag XE and XF but am put off by the talk of unreliability. Also like Mazda 6 but same talk about their reliability in diesels around 2015/2016. I managed to find the only Mazda 6 petrol for sale on the island and going for that.

Good luck with the purchase and hope it goes well for you.

The ones I'm looking at have a 2.2 engine. Not too concerned about parts tbh. More concerned about their reliability and comparison with a Lexus 300h. Not really sure what else to look at for my budget. I'm looking to spend up to £9.5k GBP (I'm based in NI, so will probably get one in UK and pay RAC to inspect it).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are so little of them here it's impossible to know how reliable they are to be honest. I wouldn't put them in the same league as Lexus though.

Yeah, I think that you're right there.

Have you tried the 300h? I keep reading that the CVT transmission is marmite. I like the car, but I'll be purchasing without having driven one if I opt for it.

Just really want something with a smooth ride, quiet interior and not too hard on juice or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I was thinking of a Lexus IS300h earlier this year as it's about the only decent 2nd hand petrol available in the 2013-2017 range. Got a number of insurance quotes and despite full NCB they were far from cheap, around the 900-1,000 range. Looks like once you go over 2.0 litre engine capacity it's another excuse to get shafted by insurance, you just can't have nice things in this country.

Have since been considering a Merc C350e estate 2.0 litre petrol PHEV (saloon has a pretty small boot with the battery) but have to go up the years to 2016+. However with no value to be got in the 2nd hand car market will likely hold onto my own for another year at least.

Advertisement